question on glacier excursion

tkgcruise

We are getting ready to plan our glacier excursion and would like some feedback on the helicopter/glacier trips available. We will be in Glacier Bay cruising on the Oosterdam - they have different amount of times available on the glacier and we have no idea what you do while there and what is too much or not enough times. I know this can be a personal preference, but would like your experience and ideas.

Thanks

I have never seen a shore excursion to the glaciers in Glacier Bay. The ship cruises next to the glaciers. Helicopter rides to the glaciers usually occur in Juneau & Skagway.

In 2000 we booked helicopter ride to glacier in Skagway independently not through HAL. It turned out to be the same company that HAL used and was 100 yards from the docks. I believe the company was Tremco and can be found on the internet. Oh I forgot to mention we saved 40% over HAL since at that time the helicopter company fee was based on weight of the passengers. Our three grandchildren were half the price of adults !

We are getting ready to plan our glacier excursion and would like some feedback on the helicopter/glacier trips available. We will be in Glacier Bay cruising on the Oosterdam - they have different amount of times available on the glacier and we have no idea what you do while there and what is too much or not enough times. I know this can be a personal preference, but would like your experience and ideas.

Thanks

There are no Glacier Excursions in either Glacier Bay or in the Hubbard's Glacier Areas.

I think the Helicopter Glacier Excursion you are asking about is in Juneau.

I've not taken one, but I hear they are well worth it.

Joanie

The other posts are correct. The helo tours are in Juneau and leave from the airport which is about 10 miles north of the cruise docks. The three tour operators are Temsco, Era, and Coastal....we used the latter and they were great. All 3 pick up from the cruise dock area. If you are whale watching too, the helicopter tours exchange passengers with the whale tours since the marina and airport are near each other. That saves an unnecessary 45-60 minute round trip all the way back to the docks.

I recommend you browse and post on the Alaska board....a ton of info and experience there.

Archived