Staying @ Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge-Need advice pls :) !!

gymbomominNC

We will have 1 evening and then 1 full day/night in Fairbanks and will be staying at Princess Riverside Lodge.

We would like to go the the Univ. of Alaska and Lrg. Animal Research Museum and also the North Pole (with kiddos). I have no concept of distances here and the availability of public trasportation. I know there is a shuttle from the airport but what about getting to the other destinations....do we need to rent a car or can we do public bus system fairly easily.

If rental is recommeded, which is closer? The airport rentals or the Alamo @ 4960 Dale Rd?

Also, are there restaurants w/in walking distance? What about a place to get 12 pack drinks, water etc. as we need to purchase these here so that we can send with our ship luggage before our Land Tour begins.

Any other tips, advice about the area would be welcomed and appreciated.

The Princess is about a mile from the airport. Dale Rd. is just off Airport Road and may be marginally closer than the airport rentals. The Santa Claus House used to run a shuttle from Fairbanks hotels out to North Pole, but you should call and check if it is going this year. UAF is a short (but expensive) taxi ride from the Princess, but the museum and LARS are a couple of miles from each other. Fred Meyer and Safeway are about a mile from the Princess so you could walk one way and take a taxi back.

The bus system in Fairbanks is only marginally functional. I wouldn't recommend it and the nearest bus stop from the Princess is Fred Meyers. Fairbanks is best with a car, as you can go out to Chena Hot Springs, drive up Ester Dome, drive to North Pole, etc.

We took the public bus from the bus station downtown to U of A museum (excellent BTW). On the way back, we stopped off at Wal-Mart for a few things, then had a great chat with a sourdough miner/hunter while waiting for the next bus.

So, regarding the bus..do you just pay when you get on each time? What is the fare per person? Thanks for the help!

Oh, and how far is Wal-mart from Princess Lodge?

I am leaning towards renting a car, but my dilemma is the Riverboat excursion is until 5:15pm then we are planning to go to N. Pole afterwards. So if we drive we would have to return the car pretty late that night since we are leaving very early the next am for Denali.

If there is a shuttle to N. Pole, I guess we could return the car prior to the Riverboat cruise.

I hear there are some good restaurants near the "North Pole". Can anyone tell me if the area is walkable or it there transportation available. My in-laws are not in great physical condition and walking distances is difficult for them.

Thanks again eveyone for the help! Much appreciated:)!

Nothing is very walkable in North Pole. There is a good Chinese restaurant there, but many visitors prefer Pikes (about 1/3 mile from the Princess), the Pumphouse (historic with good food) or the Salmon Bake. Both Pikes and the Pumphouse have decks overlooking the river that are a great place to eat on a warm summer evening.

I don't ride the bus, but I think the fare is about $1 or so and you pay each time you ride the bus. Walmart is about 5 miles from UAF. The bus does a big loop between Fred's, downtown, Walmart, and the University.

When I'm on vacation I don't want to drive. So there for I'm not going to rent a car.

Princess does do an excursion to North Pole that includes city tour & dinner.

I checked into that but the dinner is at a Chinese Rest. which prob won't go over well with my kiddos and for 1/2 the fee we could rent a car for the whole time we are there. I don't like to drive either but DH does a great job driving and with a GPS we are good to go!

Does anyone know if Pagoda's @ the N. Pole has a buffet??

Archived