Alaska port recommendations for toddlers

Raze

Hi,

My family is going to Alaska in August and I was wondering if there were any recommendations on excursions or in port activities my family could do. We have a 3 and 4 year old.

We are traveling on the Sapphire Princess. The ports are Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.

Thanks,

Brian

Do you have boys or girls? We are leaving tomorrow, so if I see anything else while I'm up there, I let you know when I return. Here what we have planned with our 3 year old son:

Juneau - Helicopter to mush the dogs/ Salmon bake

Victoria - Butchart Gardens

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show and Misty Fjords floatplane (The DUCKS would also be fun.)

We are not going to Skagway, but if we were I would take him on the train ride.

Please do not criticize our choices, I'm just sharing with the OP what we're doing. DS has been on a helicopter before and is very excited to be able to do it again. He loves all modes of transportation. He is all boy. If I had a girl, I'd probably choose other activities. I've been to the Lumberjack Show and the train in Skagway and I think most kids would enjoy both of those activities.

Do you have boys or girls? We are leaving tomorrow, so if I see anything else while I'm up there, I let you know when I return. Here what we have planned with our 3 year old son:

Juneau - Helicopter to mush the dogs/ Salmon bake

Victoria - Butchart Gardens

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show and Misty Fjords floatplane (The DUCKS would also be fun.)

We are not going to Skagway, but if we were I would take him on the train ride.

Please do not criticize our choices, I'm just sharing with the OP what we're doing. DS has been on a helicopter before and is very excited to be able to do it again. He loves all modes of transportation. He is all boy. If I had a girl, I'd probably choose other activities. I've been to the Lumberjack Show and the train in Skagway and I think most kids would enjoy both of those activities.

Sounds like fun. My 3 year old is a girl (turns 3 in June) and 4 year old is a boy.

I was thinking about the Lumberjack show but wondered if it would be too loud. I look forward to your feedback.

Be sure to check in when you return. Have a great trip! I have to wait almost 3 months....

Brian

Hi Brian,

We cruised to Alaska on the Diamond Princess three years ago when our younger daughter was about to turn 4. Our ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We also did a 5 day land tour to Denali and Fairbanks after the cruise. In Ketchikan we walked around a fair bit before going to the lumberjack show - our girls quite liked it, especially the fact that they were presented with a piece of sawed-off log during the show and then had their photos taken with the lumberjacks after.

In Juneau we did an excursion that included a whale watching trip as well as the Mendenhall Glacier. Both girls liked the boat ride and seeing the whales. Our youngest could have cared less about Mendenhall but the rest of us wanted to see it and she's a very easygoing kid so we are able to take her places that aren't particularly kid-friendly and she just goes along. We also did the Mt. Roberts tramway - she hated the ride up but had fun at the top and going down was fine.

In Skagway we were on a tour that went to the Yukon territory. It was a bus ride there and a train ride back. There was a stop (I believe it was in Carcross) where there were sled dogs and we went for a ride - they pull you in a dune buggy. It was great fun. Anytime there were sled dogs around in Alaska the girls were in heaven! They liked the train ride as well but did lose interest in the scenery so you need to have some activities/snacks along to keep them busy.

Hope that helps.

Lisa

We have cruised to Alaska 4 times in the past 6 years. Cruised with singleton & w/ the twins.

Ketchikan- 1st time I went alone on An Anan Bear viewing trip/floatplane & DH, DS, Gma went on Duck tour/Lumberjack SHow. We all walked around town. Went to the Discovery center-- the kids have fun here. We also went on the city tour that included I think Saxman village? It was out of town a bit and was on the waterfront-- really pretty and enjoyed seeing the totems. All the boys loved just walking and looking at the Salmon in the creeks. Most recently the twins were 23months. me & the 6yr old went kayaking and the twins & DH walked around town looking at the salmon running up creek, we all met up & went to Discovery center again-- 6yr old was missing school-- this was an assignment we did as part of his independent study-- they all had fun- then we went up creek st- I shopped/browsed didnt really need anything or want anything so it ended up being stare at Salmon walk-- they are all obsessed w/ FISH!

Victoria-

1st trip. we took taxi to whale watch. Went out Orca watching. Absolutely wonderful time & then taxi out to BG. took taxi from BG to Butterfly gardens-- had a little bit of a wait to get taxi back-- this started to make us a little nervous as we didnt have ample time left. but all worked out & taxi finally showed up-- this was an all day- whales in the am BG in the afternoon

2nd visit-- only had a limited time in port-- felt very uncomfortable doing Butchart again independently since it was out of town a bit. So we did the cruise tour. the 3yr old was free (thanks Princess!) and we had a wonderful time. We love gardening -- and the toddler just enjoyed walking on all the secret paths. The Merry go Round Carousel wasnt open then but another thing now that would make it enjoyable. We have never been bored or ready to leave Butchart on our 3 visits-- just ended up leaving since we had other things we wanted to do as well.

no time left after Butchart the 1st trip-- pretty much had to quickly look at the city & head back to the ship

3rd trip- Had 12 + hours. Pre arranged rental car. Rental company met us at the ship. Retreived minvan. Drove to Butchart. Again had a lovely morning. Lunch at a restaurant near Butterfly gardens. BG for about 30minutes w/ just me & the kids-- DH, & grandparents just waited for us since they didn't feel like walking anymore. Back to town. Went to Craighdoch Castle, Empress Hotel, walked around town, Miniland (we went there once before). Have never made it to the CHildrens Bug Zoo (cant remember the name- but walking distance form miniland).

4th- wanted to spend more time in town since we did the BG last 3 trips & it takes a big chunk of the day away (although dont regret any trip out there-- we loved it just as much every trip). pd for RT shuttle ticket once we got off the ship. in to town. Went to the aquarium-- again the 4 boys could spend hours looking at all the fish. They liked touching the seastars, etc downstairs in the aquarium. Then to miniland, again the bug place was closed-- we are destined to never see this place..... went to Royal BC museum. Did not have nearly enough time to view everything-- but we quickly tried to see what was most important to us. Then back to the shuttle pick up.

Juneau-- 1st trip- Tast of Juneau or something similar from the cruiseship. Went to Mendenhall, Salmon hatchery w/ mini aquarium & salmon bake. Gold creek salmon bake was wonderful. toddler loved running around, walked up to the waterfall, saw salmon going up creek, roasted marshmallows. Mendenhall was too rushed w/ the tour-- basically only had enough time to briefly look and go into the center & get back on the bus-- we glanced at the center & opted to hike quickly out to the waterfall w/ singleton in the bjorn & made it back with 2 minutes to spare-- we waited 25 more minutes for the people that didnt follow directions on geting back on time out of respect for others on the tour...... (no surprise though it happens all the time). The latest people had been standing within 20ft of the bus the entire time but just werent paying attention to time

2nd trip- still only one kid. Whale watch tour in the am (regretted that we had done this-- I think we went w/ Capt Andy? whichever capt is raved about almost equally as Harv & Marv. the tour was excellent but people were catching salmon all around us on boats and we wished we would have done a whalewatch & fishing charter & done both simultaneously would have made it even more wonderful...... Taxi pick up at marina vs going all the way back in to town. Taxi to Mendenhall. Took our time going out to the waterfall-- taxi to Salmon Bake-- had a great time again. Yellow Gold creek bus back in to town. Explored. Stainglass in the library is pretty. Walked around town. Mt Roberts tramway was fun too and a beautiful day for viewing. Back to ship

3rd trip. 23month twins & 6yr old. City bus to Mendenhall. forgot to mention before about seeing bears. This was our 2nd trip seeing bears at Mendenhall. Both on the creek boardwalk (sorry cant remember what they call it) and out at mendenhall lake near the glacier). Very fun for the boys getting the opportunity to see the bears. out to the waterfall again-- its tradition!!! slightly disappointed but thankful simultaneously.... the hike to the elvator all the times before was thru the bushes, hobbling from stone to stone, trying not to get muddy or wet in the creek bed, wondering if we were going down the right path, etc...... this time it had a gravel pathway. mini bridges.. I can't remember if they were intact though-- for some reason I am recalling that one was up & the other was either being built or had been washed away a little-- but nonetheless it was an easy walk out to the waterfall. Amazing & sad to look at pics of how much the glacier is retreating in just the short few years we have been viewing it....... Cant recall if we toox taxi to Salmon bake or walked the mile back to the bus stop..... I think we called for taxi but was told it was going to be 15-30 min & we thought we could walk to the practically free bus by then... plus the little munchkins are obsessed w/ buses & had a dream vacation on the ride out to the glacier. But they love Yellow taxi cabs too so it was a toss up. We got off the bus early & went to the park near gold creek salmon bake-- kids had fun. We also went to the botanical garden & salmon bake again and went to all places via city bus. Botanical garden was fun to see- but for the price I doubt we would go again-- but who knows-- it was fun & beautfiul view from the top of magic mtn. We had great timing w/ all bus stops except-- just missed the bus at botanical gardens-- so had a bit of a wait there-- but all the buses came within3-5min of their expected time-- we just wanted to stay at the BGardens for a bit longer & stayed til they closed which ended up being missing the bus by 5min. Went back to town. searched for somewhere to buy fishing license for ketchikan & walked around. ended up just buying a fishing license at the library online & checking a few emails...

Skagway- Whitepass Railway via a train up bus back tour & went to carcross for lunch. DS loved seeing the baby huskies, and other animals. Saw bears as well on the bus ride.

2nd- Helicopter to glaciers-- Pilots choice w/ me, DH, toddler (twins werent born yet), cousin, and mother inlaw. Out to Jewels garden & trian depot, walk back to town

3rd trip DS was obsessed w/trains taxi out to Jewels gardens-- walked around & had light lunch/snack. Walked to train depot & out to graveyard. Walked back to town. Shopped. Walked over to the creek that had bridges and was near a trailer park I think (in between town & the cruise ships). Kids loved this. lots of salmon (they didnt mind that they were nearing their death or had already met their death.......)

other trip we went to Sitka-- taxi to Fortress of the bears-- would never go back & were disappointed we went-- but we made a fun time of it and were thankful it was a long port day & we did everything else we wanted to as well. It was smelly, dirty, not worth the $$, muddy everywhere. online it was either listed as free entrance or some $$ amount-- and then when we got there he said no-- it is a $XX entrance fee- I cant remember for sure I think it was supposed to be free per online & it ended up being $10 person. The guy acknowledged that online was incorrect-- it used to be that but now it has changed & we charge..... The kids wanted to see the other farm animals.... maybe I had better memories a year ago but now am thinking dont do it! Went to the Eagle Raptor center-- kids had fun. Walked across to the Sitka Totem park square & walked back towards town- again loved seeing the salmon running pretty much anywhere there was water. OOPS forgot-- we went fishing w/ Annahootz, whale watching, puffin viewing, otters, etc in the am-- all of the above was after that.... shopped briefly, played at the playground & back to the ship

We also did cruise & land tour rail up to Denali, 8hr+ bus ride into Denali w/ toddler-- but wont post all of that here since from above you are doing cruise only

We went to Alaska last year when ds had just turned 4. Although the lumberjack show sounds great, in Ketchikan, I decided to do a sea kayaking trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks. DS4 loved it. We had a triple kayak and he sat in the center for 2 whole hours. In Juneau we took a whale watching trip with Orca Enterprises. This was another hit. These were the only two ports he got off at.

Wow everyone, thank you for the great detailed responses. You gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Sounds like some wonderful trips... and tips!

Brian

Archived