Have semi formal nights been eliminated?

rjse

We are on the Zuiderdam June 12 and noticed our boarding passes mention two formal nights and five smart casual. I thought there used to be two semi formals on a seven day. Have they done away with semi formal?

Thanks for the info. Are many men still wearing sport coats on smart casual nights?

Some do, but not many. Dress shirt and slacks is probably the most common but you'll see a lot of variety.

There was a lot of confusion about what 'semi formal' actually meant. Letting it go is a sign of modernization in the thinking of the cruise industry ..... and the airline baggage fees.

Semi formal used to mean a suit for the men and nice dresses for the women, but so many woman are now wearing slacks even on formal nights, things had to evolve.

Blue jeans that you would wear outdoors for hiking etc are not, but really nice jeans in other colors can be OK.

However most women are now wearing some sort of Chico's wear many nights on a cruise ship. The jersey materials travel well and usually weigh less than jeans. You will even see a lot of Chico's on formal nights. That is as dressed up as I am willing to get. One pair of Chico's slacks and a couple of nice tops can really set you up for a cruise.

So just wonder what do most women wear on smart casual nights? nice top and jeans are not smart casual right?

On many cruise lines (HAL, Princess and others), jeans are not permitted in the main dining room at any time in the evening.

I was so happy to see semi-formal or "informal" nights disappear, since that was the night that really complicated packing for my husband and sons. Tux versus suit is one thing, tux plus a jacket was a pain!

Archived