Halifax - Has anyone used Halifax Taxi Tours in Halifax?

Has anyone used Halifax Taxi Tours in Halifax? If so, would you use them again?

I am not used to drivers billing by the hour but I guess they all figure their rates that way. Did they bill in 30 minute increments, 15 minute increments, etc.?

I just returned from a Holland America cruise to Canada and we stopped in Halifax.

We booked Halifax taxi tours and it was great. There were 6 of us so we booked a van. 3 in the back is doable if you are agile.

Les was our driver and he was very good. We booked the combination tour (Peggy's Cove, Historic Halifax and Titanic burial ground). It was $45.00 an hour or $225 for our tour-5 hours.

He met us as we got off the ship with a sign with my name and we paid after the tour was done.

Be sure to stop at the artist's house near Peggy's Cove. He is Ian Fraser who writes stories about Peggy's Cove. He is a character and will show you around his house which looks like it did years ago.

Again, I heartily recomend Les. There is no rush and he know much history of the area.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Sue

Has anyone used Halifax Taxi Tours in Halifax? If so, would you use them again?

I am not used to drivers billing by the hour but I guess they all figure their rates that way. Did they bill in 30 minute increments, 15 minute increments, etc.?

We had a tour with Les last October and would highly recommend him also. The company has figured out how long the tours should take and if you look at the rates page on-line, you will see the total charge for the different tours. I'm sure they would customize a tour for you too, giving you an estimate of how long it should take. Very fair company, will not take advantage of you. I think we were even gone longer than the quoted rate for the tour and were not charged extra. Would use the company again.

We had a tour with Les last October and would highly recommend him also. The company has figured out how long the tours should take and if you look at the rates page on-line, you will see the total charge for the different tours. I'm sure they would customize a tour for you too, giving you an estimate of how long it should take. Very fair company, will not take advantage of you. I think we were even gone longer than the quoted rate for the tour and were not charged extra. Would use the company again.

I am trying to decide between Les of Halifax taxi Tours, or Garry Jollymore. I am sure both will be fine. We have been to Peggy's Cove before so would be going to Lunenburg. The one difference is that Les says a mini-van holds 6 and Garry says 5, unless someone is small. So, I am trying to figure out what type of vans they are using. Also, I'm not used to drivers charging exactly by the hour so don't want to get stuck paying extra because we arrive 5 minutes later because of traffic. I was told we need 5.5 hours for our tour.

I am trying to decide between Les of Halifax taxi Tours, or Garry Jollymore. I am sure both will be fine. We have been to Peggy's Cove before so would be going to Lunenburg. The one difference is that Les says a mini-van holds 6 and Garry says 5, unless someone is small. So, I am trying to figure out what type of vans they are using. Also, I'm not used to drivers charging exactly by the hour so don't want to get stuck paying extra because we arrive 5 minutes later because of traffic. I was told we need 5.5 hours for our tour.

I know it is written that the vans will hold 6, but that means 3 adults would have to be in the back seat, and unless these 3 people are small it will be crowded. Too crowded for a tour that lasts more than 5 hrs. We took the tour over to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and added a stop at Fairview Cemetery. Even with us adding the cemetery stop and going over the 6 hr., Les did not add an extra cost to the tour. They are very good to work with. Nothing hurried - no worries. Whatever you are quoted for your tour will be your charge. Do not worry about getting back late and being charged more. You can verify this will an e-mail to them and have them verify that. Take a copy of their answer with you if you think it will be an issue, but I don't think it will be.

I know it is written that the vans will hold 6, but that means 3 adults would have to be in the back seat, and unless these 3 people are small it will be crowded. Too crowded for a tour that lasts more than 5 hrs. We took the tour over to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and added a stop at Fairview Cemetery. Even with us adding the cemetery stop and going over the 6 hr., Les did not add an extra cost to the tour. They are very good to work with. Nothing hurried - no worries. Whatever you are quoted for your tour will be your charge. Do not worry about getting back late and being charged more. You can verify this will an e-mail to them and have them verify that. Take a copy of their answer with you if you think it will be an issue, but I don't think it will be.

I wonder what type of van Blue Diamond uses as they just gave me the best quote of $235.00. They said their extended mini-van holds 7 passengers plus driver.

As a person who has been the one stuck in the middle of a 3 person bench seat on a long tour I wouldn't recommend having more then 5 passengers, even if they say 7. Not unless you're going to give the person in the middle a discount. It's a really uncomfortable place to be. You generally don't have any armrests and you have to crane your neck to get a glimpse of what's going on outside.

As a person who has been the one stuck in the middle of a 3 person bench seat on a long tour I wouldn't recommend having more then 5 passengers, even if they say 7. Not unless you're going to give the person in the middle a discount. It's a really uncomfortable place to be. You generally don't have any armrests and you have to crane your neck to get a glimpse of what's going on outside.

We are only taking five. I hope on your tour you insisted that you switch places in one direction. I would have had more of a problem not having a window for an entire tour.

the only difference in the vans is basiclly the model dodge has a 7 passenger van which is 6 passengers and the driver. Pontiac has 8 passgner van which is 7 passenger and the driver only differnce is 2 bench seats in the back instead of one not captains chairs in the middle either way still crowded.

We are going with a tour with 5 people and smaller Ford van. However, just curious if the Pontiac has 3 rows of 2 people and one person upfront with the driver. I wasn't clear.

We are only taking five. I hope on your tour you insisted that you switch places in one direction. I would have had more of a problem not having a window for an entire tour.

No I didn't, I was stuck in the middle the whole time. We had agreed to share the privately arranged tour of St Maarten with another couple from our roll call. They had made the arangements, the wife had mobility issues and needed a scooter so the back seat was folded down to make room for it. So she got to sit in the front seat and I got stuck between her husband and mine. I had toured St Maarten before so I let the others have the window seat but we shared the expense equally, I didn't really know the people that well so just kept my mouth shut. Only one day of my life and I'll be back in St Maarten.

• 1 month later...

We took a tour with this company, different driver. Our minibus held 6 comfortably. The driver, whose name escapes me, was very interesting and I found the tour to be good value for money.

My neck started aching just thinking about taking a tour on a bench seat (especially in the middle and having to crane to see out). Seriously, I have to consider my neck. How are the roads to Peggy's Cove?

Does none of these companies have bucket seats for all passengers, with a seat by a window? If not, horrors, we may have to take a ship's tour! Thanks.

My neck started aching just thinking about taking a tour on a bench seat (especially in the middle and having to crane to see out). Seriously, I have to consider my neck. How are the roads to Peggy's Cove?

Does none of these companies have bucket seats for all passengers, with a seat by a window? If not, horrors, we may have to take a ship's tour! Thanks.

Take a ship's tour as a last resort!! You can e-mail the tour companies

and ask them the question about the seats.

Archived