Review - Stingray City w/Moby Dick - 1/23/05

Chick & Ellen

Hi Cruisers,

Before we sailed, we (4 adults, 2 children) e-mailed all of the tour operators mentioned on this board, trying to arrange a stingray city trip. Some operators didn't fully answer our questions, others gave answers we didn't like (e.g. trips didn't suit ship schedule). We booked with Moby Dick because Mark Button, the owner, was extremely responsive to all of our questions, and because his trip had the best time for our ship. We agreed to pay $30 per adult and $25 per child.

When we arrived, he was just where he said he'd be - waiting for us with a big sign. We waited in the shade for about 20 minutes while he trolled for additional passengers as they got off the tenders (note - those who didn't reserve in advance paid $35/30 - five bucks more each than we did.) He picked up 3 more couples, for a total of 12. The 12 of us got onto a very nice bus that had other people on it - these people were going on a tour of the Island. The bus driver drove us straight to the boat, pointing out the sights (mostly hurricane damage) as we drove. When we got to the boat, Mark was already waiting for us, along with the boat's captain (I'm sorry I don't remember his name because he was wonderful) and an additional 11 passengers (these people were tourists who were not cruise ship passengers.) When I told my sister-in-law later that evening that I counted 23 passengers on board, she was shocked it was that many. She never felt crowded by the others. I think even with another 10 passengers we would have been comfortable.

The boat had plenty of shade and sun. I wanted both during the trip and comfortably moved back and forth between the areas. I suggest that you look at the website (http://mobydicktours.com/index.html) which has lots of photos. This boat was easy to get in and out of and was comfortable, fast, and cute! Mark & our captain were gracious hosts, providing drinks, music, and snorkel gear as we set out for stingray city. As we approached, Mark gathered us all together to brief us on the dos and don'ts of swimming with the stingrays (don't worry - it's easy!)

We anchored in shallow water (waist high) descended the ladder and stood with the stingrays. Much has been written about the experience so I will simply say it is not to be missed. I will also add that both men spent the entire time that we were in Stingray City in the water with us, demonstrating, aiding, encouraging us as we frolicked with these amazing creatures. They were the perfect guides - engaged, happy, and informative. Some of us (including me) were hesitant at first, but with the help of our crew, we all ended up feeding and holding the stingrays.

The area is quite large and there were already several boats there (maybe 3?) when we arrived but there was not a feeling of crowding at all. The boats were far apart and a large group of stingrays swam with each boat. As we were getting ready to leave, a really large boat showed up and I was very glad I wasn't on that one. Too many people got into the water all at once, and they had to wear vests.

Next we motored over to a reef where we were the only boat, and we snorkeled for a while. The reef, fish, and water were all beautiful but if you have snorkeled in the caribbean before, you would not have thought it especially spectacular. There are probably better sites on GC but I assume that we avoided them for logistical reasons, which is fine by me; after all, the purpose of the trip was stingray city, the snorkeling was just a bonus!

as we motored back, Mark answered all of our questions about the island, what we should do with our remaining time in port, etc. He could not have been more helpful. when we returned, the (now empty) bus was waiting for us, and the bus drive dropped several of us off to the places (beaches, restaurants) that Mark suggested, and the remainder were taken back to the cruise ships.

We simply could not have been more pleased with our experience with Moby Dick Tours!

• 2 months later...

I just found your post, because I was running a search on Moby Tick tours.... you said they were trolling the pier looking for other people to sign up. Did this make you leave late, or did you leave right on time? This is a concern to me, because I am trying to decide what company to go with based on how early in the day we will finish the trip.

Thanks!

I just found your post, because I was running a search on Moby Tick tours.... you said they were trolling the pier looking for other people to sign up. Did this make you leave late, or did you leave right on time? This is a concern to me, because I am trying to decide what company to go with based on how early in the day we will finish the trip.

Thanks!

Not the OP, but having used Moby Dick twice in the last 4 1/2 months, I thought I'd give your question a shot.

The first time, we booked right at the pier, and he gave us a set time for leaving, which was 2:00. We walked around for a bit, and at 2:00, we met back up with him, and we left right then, no problems. There ended up being 12 of us, all booking at the pier.

Second time, earlier this month, I pre-booked. We were told our departure time was 1:25, which gave me about 30 minutes to go buy a new digital camera (long story). Got back at 1:20, and right at 1:25, whoever they had managed to round up took off. Not all of the pre-booked guests showed up, but we took off, anyway.

When you get off the tender, check in with them, pay your balance, and ask them what time they plan on leaving. They were only "trolling" until the time they'd set to leave; after that, whether everyoe had checked in or not, we were on our way. Just confirm the time with them when you book, and again when you get on the pier.

Mark and Zach (the captain) are great guys, and they've created a great experience for the short time they've been in business (they started up right after the island re-opened to cruise ships after Ivan). They're a lot of fun to spend the afternoon with!

Archived