Skagway help please

FurKids

Looking for a suggestion on where to go for a good meal. No excursions this trip (budget) but want to get out and explore the town.

Saw that the ferry to Haines is not to pricey but was wondering if the terminal is near where the cruise ship pulls in (RCL) and if there is anything to do within walking distance of the Haines terminal.

Thanks in advance.

Without a doubt, go to the Red Onion Saloon. Was one of our trip highlights. You can easily walk there from the cruise ship dock. You can also easily walk to the ferry terminal. Just make a loop around the marina via the service road.

http://www.redonion1898.com/

See this map. Red Onion is at Second Ave. and Broadway. The cruise ships dock right at the bottom left corner of the map (and the town).

http://www.redonion1898.com/map.html

All ships and boats in Skagway are close to each other. Haines is about a 45 min ride, town is right by where they drop you off and very small. Don't know the town well enough to be able to make a recommendatio, we went over there to go kayaking.

We just got back and the highlight of our trip was our tour with Becky at Dyea Dave. I don't know what the current rate is but no where close to being as much as the cruise ship tours and they are very accommodating. Becky would stop any time someone wanted to and we had a fantastic trip. She was so informative and even canceled an appointment so we could stay our longer and stop at the cemetary (don't miss the waterfall).

Our rental car from Avis was only $122 for a Chevy Malibu for the day, plus $24 gas for the round trip. Download Murray's Guide for $5 and follow it to Emerald Lake. Well worth it. It was a wonderful trip, and there were 4 of us, so not expensive.

I have to tell you .... This trip is so beautiful. I took a Bus up into the Yukon. It was about a 4 hour trip up looking at

wild Goats, Bears, and half frozen lakes. There was a stop made in a small town and then we had something to eat. On the way

Back I boarded a train that took me though the snow capped mountains and rivers. This was truely one of my best excursions. It

ended up being an eight hour trip. Hopefully if you have the funds and the time you may choose to enjoy this as I did. Oh, by the

way, the food on the ship should be good enough to forget about eating at some diner in Alaska. Take the Excursions for about $100.

Archived