Noro Virus on Constellation

zeh_ani

Home at last after travelling on the Constellation May 16 - 28. On the 4th day into the cruise my husband caught the Noro Virus and we made our way to the medical facility where they very kindly treated him with an IV and all the usual drugs to stop the diarhea and vomitting and did not charge us as they said it was complimentary due to it being the Noro Virus. Next day my sister-in-law got it and the following day I got it!!! We all saw the doctor and were each isolated to our rooms for 24 hours.

After finally leaving our rooms after 4 to 5 days as we were not feeling well or had the strength to do much we noticed that there were a lot of crew with masks on sanitizing and bleaching everything and you could not walk from one area to another without a crew member now physically pouring sanitizor into your hands and at the buffet the waiters were now dishing out the food and drinks and wouldn't allow passengers to touch anything -- too bad they didn't do all this at the beginning of the cruise and maybe none of us would have gotten sick. We were so careful and constantly washing and sanitizing our hands and still got the virus.

Our waiter told us that 120 people were down with the virus and the doctor had mentioned to us that he had seen over 160 cases!!!! We requested our medical files and were refused with the answer being that it was a complimentary service so no need and when we insisted for the 4th time they just handed us a bill stating that we were treated for "gastro intestinal" issue and naming the drugs we were given with a big stamp "complimentary" on it.

This was supposed to be our dream of a lifetime cruise to St. Petersburg and we missed all the ports except for Copenhagen -- we also asked for a copy of the log in and log out sheet of us leaving the ship so we could show that we had only seen Copenhagen but we were told that is not possible!!! On the last day of the cruise we received a letter stating that Celebrity would credit us on a future cruise for the time we were "isolated" which is only 24 hours!!!

In all fairness to Celebrity, I have sent them a fax with all the details and am waiting to hear from them. Does anyone know if we will be compensated more than the 24 hours of isolation if Celebrity sees the records that we were not able to leave the ship due to the virus's long lasting effects?

Sorry you succumbed to the dreaded norovirus and your cruise was less than you hoped it would be. Your disappointment is understandable; if there's anything worse than being sick at home, it's being sick while away from home on vacation.

Unfortunately, contrary to what some folks would like to believe, a cruise contract doesn't contain a clause guaranteeing passengers good health for the duration (any more than they guarantee good weather!), and oftentimes people come down with a variety of maladies while on a cruise (just as they do while at home or on a landside vacation), often contracted from other passengers. It's my understanding your cruise was the first following Constellation's dry dock, thus it's more than likely the virus was brought on board by one or more of your fellow passengers (either from home or at your first port of call, Copenhagen), something over which the cruise line has no control. (In fact, it's possible you or someone in your party could have unknowingly brought it on board!) Once the virus was identified, it appears the cruise line followed proper protocol and implemented the necessary containment/eradication measures - something for which there was no need prior to the illness surfacing. Notwithstanding, even the best sanitation measures coupled with all the good hygiene/hand washing/sanitation imaginable can't guarantee you will not get sick.

In addition to providing you, your husband and sister-in-law free medical attention, Celebrity also provided a one day future cruise credit as a matter of good will. It was not the cruise line's fault you fell ill, thus IMHO it's not the cruise line's obligation to reimburse you for what amounts to bad luck, bad timing and rotten circumstance. If you fell ill while at home or vacationing at a hotel or resort, I doubt you would expect to be compensated and can't imagine why you would expect differently because you got sick on a cruise ship. Ships don't make people sick; people make people sick.

Sorry you succumbed to the dreaded norovirus and your cruise was less than you hoped it would be. Your disappointment is understandable; if there's anything worse than being sick at home, it's being sick while away from home on vacation.

Unfortunately, contrary to what some folks would like to believe, a cruise contract doesn't contain a clause guaranteeing passengers good health for the duration, and oftentimes people come down with a variety of maladies while on a cruise (just as they do while at home or on a landside vacation), often contracted from other passengers. It's my understanding your cruise was the first following Constellation's dry dock, thus it's more than likely the virus was brought on board by one or more of your fellow passengers (either from home or at your first port of call, Copenhagen), something over which the cruise line has no control. (In fact, it's possible you or someone in your party could have unknowingly brought it on board!) Once the virus was identified, it appears the cruise line followed proper protocol and implemented the necessary containment/eradication measures - something for which there was no need prior to the illness surfacing. Notwithstanding, even the best sanitation measures coupled with all the good hygiene/hand washing/sanitation imaginable don't guarantee one will not get sick.

In addition to providing you, your husband and sister-in-law free medical attention, Celebrity also provided a one day future cruise credit as a matter of good will. It was not the cruise line's fault you fell ill, thus IMHO it's not the cruise line's obligation to reimburse you for what amounts to bad luck, bad timing and rotten circumstance. If you fell ill while at home or vacationing at a hotel or resort, I doubt you would expect to be compensated and can't imagine why you would expect differently when contracting a virus on a cruise ship. A cruise/cruise ship doesn't make people sick; people make people sick.

Actually this was not the first cruise out after dry dock but the SECOND and, of course, if I fell sick on any holiday whether it be on a cruise ship or on land and it was my fault I wouldn't dream of asking for compensation. BUT we are 3 very healthy people who did not just get sick but rather due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation (which were only put into place AFTER the outbreak of the virus) and that is why the two doctors on board told us it was a complimentary medical visit for all noro virus patients -- so we didn't receive anything at all for free but just Celebrity taking responsibility for something not our fault. Also, Copenhagen was the LAST port of call. We're not looking for a free ride but simply asking if anyone had previous experience and knows for a fact if there was ANY chance of getting any type of credit other than for the isolation period?

I sympathize with you but it's not the cruise line's fault - even "3 very healthy people" are not immune to a stomach virus! You received complimentary medical visits because it's in the cruise line's own best interest to contain any illness. The best way to do that is to get sick people into the medical facility as quickly as possible and the best way to do that is to offer free care. I seriously doubt that one, let alone two doctors told you your visits were complimentary because your illness was "due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation."

If you search the boards, you will find several threads about noro outbreaks. It appears people have been given future cruise credit equivalent to the number of days they were quarantined.

I sympathize with you but it's not the cruise line's fault - even "3 very healthy people" are not immune to a stomach virus! You received complimentary medical visits because it's in the cruise line's own best interest to contain any illness. The best way to do that is to get sick people into the medical facility as quickly as possible and the best way to do that is to offer free care. I seriously doubt that one, let alone two doctors told you your visits were complimentary because your illness was "due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation."

If you search the boards, you will find several threads about noro outbreaks. It appears people have been given future cruise credit equivalent to the number of days they were quarantined.

With all due respect, I find your replies offensive rather than helpful. I NEVER said that the two doctors said "due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation". I did say that they both said it was complimentary due to the fact that they were treating us for the Noro virus. It is me, myself, and only I saying that we got the virus due to the ships lack of hygene and sanitation precautions at the BEGINNING of the cruise rather than after when we all got sick!!!! You seem for some reason to want to attack and dissect every word I have written and all I am asking if anyone knows if it's possible to get reimbursed more than the incubation period. Thank you very much.

Sorry that your vacation was ruined. Take a deep breath, & be realistic. It wasn't Celebrity's fault that you got sick.

lysolqn is telling you like it is. Why are you calling him offensive? Because he's not telling you what you want to hear?? You got sick, things happen in life. Deal with it.

No, it isn't possible to get reimbursed more than the incubation period.

I just want to add...cleaning and sanitation procedures are always being followed but added measures are taken once Noro has been identified.

I'm really sorry about your cruise. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to be sick and not able to do the things planned. But, I don't think that Celebrity will do more than what they have already offered.

Zeh_ani, I'm very sorry that your vacation was spoiled by the dreaded norovirus, but you didn't get it from the ship. The most likely source was one of your fellow passengers who brought the bug on board, and in his defense, may not have known that he had a problem; norovirus is contagious before symptoms manifest themselves. This latter is one of the reasons that norovirus is so difficult to prevent. Once on the ship, it spreads rapidly to those who are susceptible and while it is unfortunate that your party fell into that category, there is little that anyone could have done to prevent you from getting the illness once it was on board.

Celebrity does usually ask passengers to fill out a declaration that they have not been experiencing any symptoms prior to boarding, but not everyone is truthful about it, and as I mentioned above, with Norovirus as well as a number of other conditions, it is not uncommon for a person to be contagious before they even know themselves that they are ill.

Sorry about your bad luck, but that's really what it is, just plain bad luck.

I just want to add...cleaning and sanitation procedures are always being followed but added measures are taken once Noro has been identified.

I'm really sorry about your cruise. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to be sick and not able to do the things planned. But, I don't think that Celebrity will do more than what they have already offered.[/quote

I really appreciate your sympathy and answer but I sure wish that the added measures were just the common everyday procedures as so many people got sick. Have always loved cruising with Celebrity and will continue to do so.

Zeh_ani, I'm very sorry that your vacation was spoiled by the dreaded norovirus, but you didn't get it from the ship. The most likely source was one of your fellow passengers who brought the bug on board, and in his defense, may not have known that he had a problem; norovirus is contagious before symptoms manifest themselves. This latter is one of the reasons that norovirus is so difficult to prevent. Once on the ship, it spreads rapidly to those who are susceptible and while it is unfortunate that your party fell into that category, there is little that anyone could have done to prevent you from getting the illness once it was on board.

Celebrity does usually ask passengers to fill out a declaration that they have not been experiencing any symptoms prior to boarding, but not everyone is truthful about it, and as I mentioned above, with Norovirus as well as a number of other conditions, it is not uncommon for a person to be contagious before they even know themselves that they are ill.

Sorry about your bad luck, but that's really what it is, just plain bad luck.

Thank you for your kind words and explanation.

I too am sorry you got the noro. But, you seem focused on thinking it may have been due to substandard hygiene and sanitizing before the noro erupted (unintentional bad pun:D)

The cleaning and related measures you saw after the outbreak are extraordinary and would not be accepted as common practice on any ship without such incidence of illness. Passengers would revolt and the crew would be tremendously overworked.

By the way, I was quarantined for 4 days due to the noro. Unless there are underlying health issues, the noro is simply a nuisance and is not life threatening. I had some bad luck in getting it (despite taking every conceivable precaution), but I felt that since I have been so blessed to have the time, money, and health to be able to cruise, my life was pretty good and I didn't make a big deal out of missing a few ports.

I did not ask for compensation, but was given $100courtesy comp per day of quarantine as a future cruise credit (or OBC-not sure now).

Ship happens

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

With all due respect, I find your replies offensive rather than helpful. I NEVER said that the two doctors said "due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation". I did say that they both said it was complimentary due to the fact that they were treating us for the Noro virus. It is me, myself, and only I saying that we got the virus due to the ships lack of hygene and sanitation precautions at the BEGINNING of the cruise rather than after when we all got sick!!!! You seem for some reason to want to attack and dissect every word I have written and all I am asking if anyone knows if it's possible to get reimbursed more than the incubation period. Thank you very much.

My apology; it was never my intent to offend you. I did, however, wish to make clear that ships don't make people sick; people make people sick. Holding the cruise line responsible for your bout with the virus is unreasonable because falling ill was a matter of bad luck and poor timing rather than anything the cruise line did or did not do. In Post #4 you said you got sick "due to the lack of the ship's hygene and sanitation...and THAT IS WHY the two doctors on board told us it was a complimentary medical visit for all noro virus patients." Perhaps that is not what you meant to say but it is, in fact, what you did say and I found that implausible.

I hope your future cruises are happy and healthy ones.

Archived