Catamaran vs Boat

Sunnymom02

Which is better going out to stingray sandbar, a catarmaran or a regular boat? Trying to decide which would be better. Kind of worried about getting sea sick, so which one would be the smoother ride? Also, is captain bryans the only ones with the catamarans? Are they a good company? Thanks for all of your info!

One really isn't better than the other. Just depends on your preferences.

Powerboat - faster, more maneuverable, usually easier to enter/exit water

Catamaran - slower, usually more stable, usually longer ladder climb

At rest, both can be rocked by waves.

No experience with Captain Bryan, but he gets high marks on the board.

If you have any seasickness tendencies, take a pill and forget about it (have misplaced my Soprano accent).

Zydeco hit that one right on the nose. Cats are stable, powerboats will get you there faster. I have experience with both Captain Brian and Captain Marvin's excursions. Both give great stingray/snorkel trips. Just depends on how you envision yourself enjoying your day in Cayman.

• 2 months later...

The excursion was great... The Buccaneer takes you to 3 different snorkling spots: the aquarium, the coral reef and Stingray City. At each spot there was alot to see. The aquarium was the most colorful..hundreds of fishes all sizes and colors...At the reef we saw the eels and of course the rays at StingRay city.. The make sure that you have a good time... The catamaran was a pretty smooth ride... We had a windy overcast day and the ride was not bad at all... There is a small area in the back if you need shade. They motor on the way out and come back under sail. I would definately do it again!!

The only thing I would caution about is the time of the excursion is 10:30 to 1:30 local time. If your ship leaves from the east coast during daylight saving times then ship time maybe different than local time. Our ship stayed on EDT the entire cruise, so the excursion was actually 11:30 to 2:30 and last tender was 3:30 so it was a little close...

The only thing I would caution about is the time of the excursion is 10:30 to 1:30 local time. If your ship leaves from the east coast during daylight saving times then ship time maybe different than local time. Our ship stayed on EDT the entire cruise, so the excursion was actually 11:30 to 2:30 and last tender was 3:30 so it was a little close...

I am scheduled on the same excursion on 6/1 and was worrying about cutting it too close. I don't want to be stressed looking at my watch the whole time. If you did it over, would you stay on the Buccaneer or change to the Hanibal scheduled from 9:30 - 12?

Thanks.

bravjd:

We were dropped off at the pier/tenders at about 1:55 local time (2:55 ship time, last tender was posted as 3:30 ship time) The line of people waiting to get back to all the ships went down the street for quite aways! (three ships were in port that day) While waiting for the tenders I had time to go shopping while my husband waited in line... We did not get back to the ship until at least 4:00. Needless to say the ship did not leave until about 4:30.. We were supposed to leave at 4:00

I was a little nervous coming back to the pier because the traffic was heavy and I pictured us running to catch the last tender...that was until I saw the line.. There was no way they would leave that many people... I have to believe that is not the norm so I would probably go on the earlier excursion next time (only if it DST though) The Buccaneer is doable; it is cutting it close though... I would definately book with Capt Bryans again, they were great!

flashyfishy:

We booked through the website mentioned by bubblez and we got a response by email right away...

We were in GC on April 7th and did the stingray tour on the Hannibal. It was a very nice boat with shade or sun if you preferred. There was a bathroom on board also:D . I would do this tour in a heartbeat again. Very nice people! The ride out and back in was very relaxing and enjoyable. The scenery is breathtaking even though it was a little overcast that day. They made sure everyone was having a good time and at the stingray place, they made sure everyone got to hold a stingray (if you wanted to) or touch one etc. Overall, a fun day for everyone;)

Archived