I will never, EVER cruise again to....

Tapi

Which port on Carnival's itineraries would you never, EVER want to visit again?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. Which port on Carnival's itineraries would you never, EVER want to visit again?

• Cozumel, Mexico
    • Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
    • Nassau, Bahamas
    • Ocho Rios, Jamaica
    • St. Maarten, NA
    • St. Thomas, USVI
    • San Juan, Puerto Rico
    • OTHER

I voted Cozumel, but only because the poll wouldn't take more than one choice. There were about four I would have chosen.

I don't understand why people go to the Caribbean over and over and over and over. We did the western Carib two years ago, and we may do the eastern portion at some point, but why so many times???

There's the Black Sea - Istanbul, Yalta, Odessa...
There's the Baltic - Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, Stockholm....
There's the Mediterranean - too many ports to list!

Why do the Caribbean and nothing else?!?!!?!? Apparently, I'd really like to know! :D

[QUOTE]Why do the Caribbean and nothing else?!?!!?!? Apparently, I'd really like to know! :D[/QUOTE]

Within 9 hours of my house I can cruise from Charleston, Norfolk, Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Once European cruises are regularly available form those ports, I'll go.

[quote name='cruzeluver']Within 9 hours of my house I can cruise from Charleston, Norfolk, Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Once European cruises are regularly available form those ports, I'll go.[/quote]

Within nine hours you can fly to Stockholm or Copenhagen. :)

[quote name='LemurCat']If you want to foot the bill for the Med cruise, I'll gladly go with you. ;)[/quote]

Someone mentioned they had taken 21 Caribbean cruises! Two or three of those would pay for one Med cruise. I just don't understand the lack of curiosity about the rest of the world, I guess. :)

[QUOTE]Within nine hours you can fly to Stockholm or Copenhagen. :)[/QUOTE]

For what I would pay to drive to a Florida port 100 times over.:)

The Med and the Baltics are on my cruise bucket list, but finances just don't allow that right now. Some day.

[quote name='MrPete']What a short list! I would go back to all those places.

[B]My answer would be Port Canaveral[/B].[/quote]

Just curious? Never been but will be in Canaveral in January.

[quote name='linda_22003']Within nine hours you can fly to Stockholm or Copenhagen. :)[/quote]

I have over 2000 flights and over one and a half million air miles. Each additional flight is a torture! I expect I will fly many more times in my life, but none with pleasure!

[quote name='guyver']Just curious? Never been but will be in Canaveral in January.[/quote]

First, our visit was in July. I NEVER want to be inland, in Florida, again.

The day trip carrots are obviously Disney, Universal, and Seaworld, and the trip to and from are just too much to enjoy.

There are closer things to do, like the beach, or the Kennedy Space Center, but a shuttle would need to be launching for me to enjoy it.

I think I speak for my DW and I when I say that we didn't enjoy the western Caribbean leg of our B2B cruise for our honeymoon last November on the [I]Miracle[/I] at all. I couldn't believe the utter squalor of Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize, so I don't think we'll be heading back that way anytime soon. I also know that my wife [B]really[/B] dislikes San Juan, so much so that back in 2005 when, on our first cruise together, the [I]Legend[/I] was diverted from there due to a tropical storm for another day at sea instead, I think she was dancing in the pool for ten minutes. :p St. Thomas though I always enjoy.

[quote name='dan40']I have over 2000 flights and over one and a half million air miles. Each additional flight is a torture! I expect I will fly many more times in my life, but none with pleasure![/quote]

I agree with you there. I regard the flight as the price I have to pay to have the adventure at the other end. After we retire, I can definitely see doing a transatlantic crossing on a ship and THEN traveling at the destination, but right now we don't have enough vacation time for that.

[quote name='linda_22003']Someone mentioned they had taken 21 Caribbean cruises! Two or three of those would pay for one Med cruise. I just don't understand the lack of curiosity about the rest of the world, I guess. :)[/QUOTE]

I believe it's called "instant gratification", Linda. Why save your money and not cruise AT ALL one year (or two) to have ONE cruise to the Med.

Here's my take on Med cruises....JUST SAY NO!!!!!! We did a Med cruise about 15 years ago and will NEVER do another one! The reason? If you've been to Europe, you know the reason, but for those that haven't.....for example, just randomly choosing ONE city on a stop, lets say, Rome. We did a city tour thingy that included most of Rome and the Vatican City. We had exactly 15 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. FIFTEEN MINUTES. IN. THE. SISTINE. CHAPEL. About 2 hours in the entire St. Peter's Cathedral. We weren't even allowed off the bus at the Forum, "just look through the windows, ladies and gentlemen..."

Can you say, oh hell no????!!!! There is SO much history and so much to see and do in most European cities that we decided after that fiasco of a cruise, that from now on, we would fly to Europe, home base in a city and take their oh-so-amazing train system to the different areas we wanted to see. That way, if I want to spend 4 hours in the Sistine Chapel taking it all in, I can. If I want to spend an entire day going through the museums in Munich, I can. It would be like sending someone to NYC for 8 hours and expecting them to come away with something. Can't be done.

That being said, over the last year or so when the Euro exchange rate got stupid, we decided that our money was better served in cruising, and did 3 last year. Two this year. We already have plans for a land vaca in Europe next year with the Euro now back at sane levels.

It may not be that folks aren't interested in the rest of the world, Linda. It's just their personal opinion that they'd rather take a cruise (or two) each year, rather than not take a trip somewhere, save that money for a year or two, and then cruise the Med. Remember, Med cruises always come with insane airfares attached, especially now. While I spoke of the now sane Euro above, airfare to our cities of choice is running $800+. At $1600 R/T for DH and me, I could do THREE cruises out of Mobile on the Elation, lol! And that would just cover the airfare, no Med cruise price attached to that!

I am also going to say Belize. However, we did a barrier reef snorkeling excursion through carnival there and had a good time. It was nice because the excursion boat picks you up right where the tenders pick you up, but after our excursion was over we took the tender to Belize city. I would not do that again. Gift shops looked like dollar store items with Belize painted on them and shoppers weren't supposed to go past the gates because of drugs and gangs! :eek: So if we ever do cruise there again I will do some excursion in the ocean or stay on ship!

Vanessa,
Thanks. I guess I've never been the "instant gratification" type.

I agree with you about destinations like Rome; I wouldn't go there on a cruise, but on a land trip. (I've been there before, at any rate). We are looking at a Sea Dream Yacht Club trip next year for our 25th anniversary that begins and ends in Rome, and we'd expect to spend extra days in the city.

As for insane airfares, we're doing the Greek Islands this September, and the airfare to Athens wasn't bad at all; and this was before the economic crisis. The euro is looking better than it has in a long time. :)

[quote name='MamaParrotHead']I'm not a huge fan of Belize or Ocho Rios...but I wouldn't say that I'd "never" cruise there again if the price was right or it was on a ship I hadn't sailed on previously or something along those lines. I'd just stay on the ship.[/quote]

BELIZE & COSTA RICA

Two ports that are really "Sea Days" for us

I see the cruise line "warnings" about Belize continue to pay off.

We have walked the streets of Belize City twice, once in 2004 and again last year. Never had a problem. Met some wonderful people and never for even one second felt a sense of impending doom.

[quote name='Vanessa L']

Here's my take on Med cruises....JUST SAY NO!!!!!! We did a Med cruise about 15 years ago and will NEVER do another one! The reason? If you've been to Europe, you know the reason, but for those that haven't.....for example, just randomly choosing ONE city on a stop, lets say, Rome. We did a city tour thingy that included most of Rome and the Vatican City. We had exactly 15 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. FIFTEEN MINUTES. IN. THE. SISTINE. CHAPEL. About 2 hours in the entire St. Peter's Cathedral. We weren't even allowed off the bus at the Forum, "just look through the windows, ladies and gentlemen..."[/quote]

Which is my basic issue with trying to see ANY historical site while on a cruise. With a couple of notable exceptions, there simply isn't enough time to do the big-deal historical sites while on a cruise vacation. So I don't even bother trying. ;)

[quote name='Vanessa L']
Here's my take on Med cruises....JUST SAY NO!!!!!! We did a Med cruise about 15 years ago and will NEVER do another one! The reason? If you've been to Europe, you know the reason, but for those that haven't.....for example, just randomly choosing ONE city on a stop, lets say, Rome. We did a city tour thingy that included most of Rome and the Vatican City. We had exactly 15 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. FIFTEEN MINUTES. IN. THE. SISTINE. CHAPEL. About 2 hours in the entire St. Peter's Cathedral. We weren't even allowed off the bus at the Forum, "just look through the windows, ladies and gentlemen..."
![/quote]

Wow, pretty harsh.

Our Med cruise was magical, but we planned it to be more than a "drive by". Two extra pre-cruise days in Rome, one post day where we visited Tivoli. Two days in Livorno (Florence) two days in Venice. Other ports we may not have had as much time, but Naples one day was plenty to see Pompeii. A couple other places a few more hours would have been nice, but on the other hand a land trip there was no way we could have done and seen what we did on our cruise. We did plan and go on private excursions (we were a group of 7), so we were able to spend time, have nice lunches etc... in port. We aren't vacation shoppers, so no need to stop for that, we more appreciate a nice restaurant, which by taking a private excursion allows for that.

My ports that I could go forever and not see again would have to be in Mexico, Mazatlan and Ensenada. Being on the west coast and no flights needed to cruise Baja or Mexican Riviera it is a money saver to cruise there. But, we can stay onboard and totally avoid those ports. I can barely stand the smell of Ensenada...it's gross.

[quote name='MrPete']First, our visit was in July. I NEVER want to be inland, in Florida, again.

The day trip carrots are obviously Disney, Universal, and Seaworld, and the trip to and from are just too much to enjoy.

There are closer things to do, like the beach, or the Kennedy Space Center, but a shuttle would need to be launching for me to enjoy it.[/quote]

Ahh Pete, sure the interior of Florida is extremely hot in July, worse in August. The coast is blazing too. But the hurricanes come and cool things off by a whole degree, maybe a degree and a half!:D:p

Of course, this year, the hurricanes will also lubricate EVERYTHING!!:eek:

[quote name='Happy ks']Wow, pretty harsh.

Our Med cruise was magical, but we planned it to be more than a "drive by". Two extra pre-cruise days in Rome, one post day where we visited Tivoli. Two days in Livorno (Florence) two days in Venice. Other ports we may not have had as much time, but Naples one day was plenty to see Pompeii. [I] A couple other places a few more hours would have been nice, but on the other hand a land trip there was no way we could have done and seen what we did on our cruise.[/I] We did plan and go on private excursions (we were a group of 7), so we were able to spend time, have nice lunches etc... in port. We aren't vacation shoppers, so no need to stop for that, we more appreciate a nice restaurant, which by taking a private excursion allows for that.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're wrong about that one...if you had home based in central Italy and taken the high speed trains to either end, and every stop in-between, you'd have had LOTS more time to see and do than what you had with the cruise. If you haven't tried it, hop on over there, try the train system and let me know what you think.

[quote name='Vanessa L']I believe it's called "instant gratification", Linda. Why save your money and not cruise AT ALL one year (or two) to have ONE cruise to the Med.

Can you say, oh hell no????!!!! There is SO much history and so much to see and do in most European cities that we decided after that fiasco of a cruise, that from now on, we would fly to Europe, home base in a city and take their oh-so-amazing train system to the different areas we wanted to see. That way, if I want to spend 4 hours in the Sistine Chapel taking it all in, I can. If I want to spend an entire day going through the museums in Munich, I can. It would be like sending someone to NYC for 8 hours and expecting them to come away with something. Can't be done.

That being said, over the last year or so when the Euro exchange rate got stupid, we decided that our money was better served in cruising, and did 3 last year. Two this year. We already have plans for a land vaca in Europe next year with the Euro now back at sane levels.

It may not be that folks aren't interested in the rest of the world, Linda. It's just their personal opinion that they'd rather take a cruise (or two) each year, rather than not take a trip somewhere, save that money for a year or two, and then cruise the Med. Remember, Med cruises always come with insane airfares attached, especially now. While I spoke of the now sane Euro above, airfare to our cities of choice is running $800+. At $1600 R/T for DH and me, I could do THREE cruises out of Mobile on the Elation, lol! And that would just cover the airfare, no Med cruise price attached to that![/quote]

Yes Europe is tough to see on a ship excursion. Bavaria alone has 1/3rd of all the breweries in the world. It would take years to visit them all before moving on to that historical stuff.

I'm working on it.:D

This August will be our 2nd time to Nassau and I won't need to go back after that. Not appealing to me- it's expensive and dirty/trashy/scummy. Also been to Grand Cayman and don't need to go back there either- wasn't much there and was also a bit slummy. Would love an itin to Key West, HMC and Grand Turk. Can't wait to try Bermuda sometime and St.Thomas and St.Maarten.

[quote name='dan40']Yes Europe is tough to see on a ship excursion. Bavaria alone has 1/3rd of all the breweries in the world. It would take years to visit them all before moving on to that historical stuff.

I'm working on it.:D[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!! We plan on being in Munich for Oktoberfest next year :D:D:cool:

Archived