DreamWorks Comes To Allure/Oasis!!!

Yeah that is good. On the main RCI board I see that some of the old timers don't like it and are now threatening the move to HAL and Celebrity. LAMO. Had they not figured out by now that RCI's main target is families? Hello????? Have you not seen the ships that RCI has been turning out for the last ten years? All I can say is, on the way out, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!!;)

Yeah that is good. On the main RCI board I see that some of the old timers don't like it and are now threatening the move to HAL and Celebrity. LAMO. Had they not figured out by now that RCI's main target is families? Hello????? Have you not seen the ships that RCI has been turning out for the last ten years? All I can say is, on the way out, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!!;)

LOLOL....I couldn't agree with you more:D

I like it as long as it's executed properly. I loved Disney and the characters never got in the way as they knew how to use them properly. Disney has the young kids but RCCL is going for the teen and young adult families. If Royal Caribbean takes and converts all their shows to kiddie character shows I can see them making a huge mistake by missing their audience in favor of one that is already taken. However, if they were to make character shows and play them in the afternoons for the families and adventure ocean kids to attend I could see it becoming a great thing. If you look at the Oasis there are often complaints because most of the shows are later than usual and many kid can't last that long. Depending on how good they are they may even be worth everyone going to see, but there is no way for a character show to fit the high quality profile of RCCL's current entertainment shows. Beyond getting the shows right RCCL just needs to keep the characters out of the Dining Room at dinner time and the Solarium all the time. I think they will be a great addition to the other areas such as the Boardwalk, Royal Promenade, and H2O Zone.

Based on the video though I hope they are not using those costumes. I'd never expect to see Mickey Mouse on a Disney cruise so why is Shrek on RCCL? It should be Captain Shrek and the penguins would make a great team of first mates, lol. They need to get all the RCCL theming right to ensure that they fit in with the experience rather than just being thrown in like the Nickelodeon stuff.

PS: Anyone else think there may be a connection between this and the Liberty of the Seas penguins, lol

Universal studios has characters all over and children, teens and ADULTS all seem to LOVE THEM!!! Like mentioned above...these are family ships....if you want a quiet/sterile atmosphere you shouldn't be sailing one one of these ships anyways. As for costumes....why wouldn't they...it would be pretty lame to not...what are they going to have a "real" human Shrek and penguins....now that would be SCARRY:eek:

Bring on the THEME PARK I say:D

I was debating an Allure booking with 3 of my single gal friends who wanted to go on Oasis last year with me, but couldn't make it. We've been talking about the Allure but if it is going to be geared more to children, I am sure the ladies will want to re-think this. I do love the Shrek movies, but not so sure I would want to vacation with him. ;) It sounds like TERRIFIC fun for kids though!

I like it as long as it's executed properly. I loved Disney and the characters never got in the way as they knew how to use them properly. Disney has the young kids but RCCL is going for the teen and young adult families. If Royal Caribbean takes and converts all their shows to kiddie character shows I can see them making a huge mistake by missing their audience in favor of one that is already taken. However, if they were to make character shows and play them in the afternoons for the families and adventure ocean kids to attend I could see it becoming a great thing. If you look at the Oasis there are often complaints because most of the shows are later than usual and many kid can't last that long. Depending on how good they are they may even be worth everyone going to see, but there is no way for a character show to fit the high quality profile of RCCL's current entertainment shows. Beyond getting the shows right RCCL just needs to keep the characters out of the Dining Room at dinner time and the Solarium all the time. I think they will be a great addition to the other areas such as the Boardwalk, Royal Promenade, and H2O Zone.

Based on the video though I hope they are not using those costumes. I'd never expect to see Mickey Mouse on a Disney cruise so why is Shrek on RCCL? It

should be Captain Shrek and the penguins would make a great team of first

mates, lol. They need to get all the RCCL theming right to ensure that they fit

in with the experience rather than just being thrown in like the Nickelodeon stuff.

PS: Anyone else think there may be a connection between this and the Liberty of the Seas penguins, lol

I couldn't agree more.

Some of you are acting like it is going to be in your face 24/7. Disney was not the first cruise line to bring characters on board. Premier and Dolphin cruise line brought characters on board in the early 90's. I experienced this and it wasn't a problem. Do you really think that RCI is going to take the entire ship and turn it into a playground for kids? I'm always amazed at the people on this board that take any piece of news and run with it before anyone has even had any experince with it on the ship.:rolleyes:

I was debating an Allure booking with 3 of my single gal friends who wanted to go on Oasis last year with me, but couldn't make it. We've been talking about the Allure but if it is going to be geared more to children, I am sure the ladies will want to re-think this. I do love the Shrek movies, but not so sure I would want to vacation with him. ;) It sounds like TERRIFIC fun for kids though!

I have to agree with this 100%. I am thinking of a March cruise on the Allure but I don't want characters at my dinner. I would hope that these shows are only to complement the original shows and not replace them.

I'll be on an early sailing and look forward to reporting back :) My teens will be thrilled and our boardwalk balconies will be even more fun to hang out on now. I don't imagine they'll be in your face but I do imagine they'll remind me to laugh and smile more and that I am ON VACATION :) I'm hopeful there will be fun photo ops too - now that $300 CD of all your photos may just be even more appealling to me!

I think this is pretty intresting. This adds another element to RCI cruising, especially for people with kids, i know my wife would find this fun, me not so much, but i understand why RCI would try and do this for themselves.

I know my kids would love it - is it only on the oasis and on certain dates, or will it be on the allure as well

I already have my 5 year old grandson hyped up for our Oasis cruise next year. I also want to know if the addition of these characters will be a permanent addition or just on certain dates. I hope they are on our cruise.

They are to be "permanent" additions onboard the Allure of the Seas from day 1 and then the Oasis, Freedom, and Liberty in January 2011. In another thread someone reported that RCCL has told them that January 30th is the first day for them on the Liberty. Like everything though with two companies involved I'm sure RCCL is not purchasing the items but renting the rights to them so if they were to ever go there separate ways at the end of a contract they would lose rights to them.

Amen!:D

I think this is awsome. My DH and I are in our 50's and we are a family that will be traveling with young adults. IMO this will just add to the fun. I'm going on Allure to experience a fun and lively vacation. If I wanted a serene, super upscale experience I would have picked another type of vacation. I know my 22 year old son and his 20 year old girlfriend are going to love it too. I don't think the characters will be in our face 24/7 as someone else mentioned. But they will be there to make me smile and help me forget my real life worries. :cool:

Wouldn't it be fairer to all if perhaps one of the new ships had the characters and the other did not? That way people who are traveling without their children can still experience the bigger/newer ships without being exposed to children's themes.

I know that for my DH and I, a cruise has always been our "away" from our children time and that's just how we like it.

I understand RCI eagerness to get families on board, but should it be at the expense of their faithful couples who have supported them every year without their kids? Parents need fun time away from kids and we enjoy the rock wall, Flo-rider, etc as adults too!

Wouldn't it be fairer to all if perhaps one of the new ships had the characters and the other did not? That way people who are traveling without their children can still experience the bigger/newer ships without being exposed to children's themes.

I know that for my DH and I, a cruise has always been our "away" from our children time and that's just how we like it.

I understand RCI eagerness to get families on board, but should it be at the expense of their faithful couples who have supported them every year without their kids? Parents need fun time away from kids and we enjoy the rock wall, Flo-rider, etc as adults too!

The Freedom and Oasis class ships are clearly built for families. Flowriders, rock climbing walls, mini golf, zip line, carousel, etc. It doesn't take much to figure this out. If people want to vacation AWAY from families then this is not the ship to take. RCI has clearly stated since the introduction of the Voyager class that their main competition is not the other cruise lines. It's Disney, Vegas and Hawaii. They are going after those family dollars in a big way just like Disney, Carnival and now NCL are doing.

If you want a non family vacation then choose one of RCI's smaller ships that will not have this type of activity such as the Vision and Radiance class. I believe that this is what RCI is basically telling you.

OK - still confused will they be on our May 2012 on Allure or just in the beginning then move to oasis, freedom and liberty - thanks :)

They will debut on the Allure and then will be added to the other three remaining ships in 2011. So to answer your question, yes they will be on your May 2012 cruise.:)

Archived