Reykjavik and Akureyri

carlmm

In August I will visit the ports of Reykjavik and Akureyri in Iceland as part of a cruise with the QE2.

Does anyone have experiences with these cities? What excursions can you recommend? What kind of weather is to be expected?

For weather information, try weather.com for every port on your itinerary. Instead of typing in the U.S. city, type in the couyntry, them choose your city. Iceland will be cool - probably will not go higher than 60 degrees F.

I couldn't figure out how to access Cunard excursions, so I looked at Radisson, which should be similar. See http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.jsp?code=NAV050615&page=ports&portcode=REY06242005 I haven't been to Akureyri, but spent 8 days in 1996 in or near Rejkavik, and base my recommendations on that trip.

I'd recommend something with at least a little adventure: avoid the simple discover Rejkavik tour. This is a nice but small city: it's the countryside that's unique. Everything else is great, so be adventurous. If you go to the Blue Lagoon, swim there, even if you miss the shopping (which isn't all that great there anyway). Try to see some hot springs and/or a geysir. Glaciers, waterfalls, and lava beaches are fascinating, Iceland is great offroad, and Thyngvallir is the only place in the world where you can stand with one foot in America (the American tectonic plate) and one foot in Europe. If I had to choose an excursion, regardless of cost, I'd pick either the Thorsmark Safari ( because 4 X 4s are really the way to see Iceland up close) or Volcanic Creations (where I'd pay for the Blue Lagoon swim). FYI, the classic way to spend one day in Iceland is the Golden Circle tour, which I also recommend. (In effect, I've been to all the places on the tours other than the places visited on the flightseeing tour, so I can't comment on the flightseeing).

Iceland is unique and wonderful, so spend some effort in getting the feeling of this magical place.

Its been a while but years ago I lived in Rejkavik for two months before traveling down to Mainland Europe. The people are great and don't be afraid to adventure out. Alot of these folks know three languages so communications is not a problem. There use to be an Olypic size swimming pool with some soaking pools to to the east of down town Rejkavik. The pool had hot spring water that made swimming really nice during February. Back then it was somthing like .35 cents to get into the facilates. It was clean, there were lockers with keys and it was very enjoyable. Also check out the small shops that sell hand kitted Icelandic sweaters...they were a bargin. I was offered by a family to come by and eat the sheep's head but I passed. Neat place...good memories. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegain Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

We visited Reykjavik only last year on our cruise to Greenland. There were a lot of vans & taxis on the quay offering tours, The golden circle was available a lo lot cheaper than ships tour if you could fill a van with approx 8 people, we would have done this but missed out as no one else there at time! A bus to city centre was available for 2 pounds per person each way (sterling accepted) we did this & then walked round town + up the cathederal tower. photo album is on webshots.com = user/ericy102

Thank you all for the insights.

Joanandjoe, to my knowledge Cunard does not offer detailed excursion information on the net thus I am glad you posted the Radisson one which I use for other ports, too, now.

Note that Radisson doesn't post prices until shortly before the trip (if at all), so I don't know if the excursions cost more than local excursions. As for the suggestion of getting up a group for tours, if you can do so it's a big plus. We were able to arrange group tours when we sailed on Celebrity, but couldn't get any when we sailed on Windstar. If you have a roll call thread, try to use it to set up tours or groups that will look for a tour on the pier.

• 4 weeks later...
Note that Radisson doesn't post prices until shortly before the trip (if at all), so I don't know if the excursions cost more than local excursions. As for the suggestion of getting up a group for tours, if you can do so it's a big plus. We were able to arrange group tours when we sailed on Celebrity, but couldn't get any when we sailed on Windstar. If you have a roll call thread, try to use it to set up tours or groups that will look for a tour on the pier.

Thank you as well. I did a search and this is the only thread I found with usable info on Reykjavik. I just booked for Sept and starting to figure out how best to use my limited time there.

Archived