Wildlife Viewing From Anchorage to Healy

lpmh919

I know this is quite a "shot in the dark" question, since the wildlife is very unpredictable and can be anywhere at anytime, but I figured I still might get some cool inside info from my fellow CruiseCritic members. :)

We are driving from Anchorage to the front of Denali Park in mid-June. We are going to drive up in one day (stopping to check out some cool spots on the way), stay for 3 days, and then drive back to Talkeetna and stay a night there before making our way back to Anchorage to get a connection to Whittier. On our day that we drive up to Denali Park, are there any great areas that stand out for a high-percentage chance of seeing wildlife? I know a few people have mentioned the Musk Ox/Reindeer farms, but we are interested in maybe some areas off of Parks highway that are known for having a great chance of seeing wildlife. Any ideas that you may have are appreciated! I know the drive is long, so our time "out of the car" is somewhat limited, but we are adventures and want to see as much as we can while there! :)

On our day that we drive up to Denali Park, are there any great areas that stand out for a high-percentage chance of seeing wildlife?

The answer is unfortunately simple - no, there aren't. I can count the number of animals (all moose) that I've seen along the Parks in the summer (in close to 100 trips in 20 years) on my fingers.

I've seen moose ON the highway on that part of Alaska. That's why we recommend watching your speed.

You hit a moose and you likely will be badly injured or worse.

The road pull offs are clearly indicated in a copy of the Milepost.

Get the Mile Post and it will have info. Although I would caution you to please not just pull over on the side of the road. We have Big trucks, buses, cars all going on the Parks highway.

As far as seeing wildlife, Ive seen moose on the Parks Highway in fact just saw one the other day. Moose are probly the main thing your going to see.

Honestly dont discount the Musk ox farm and the Raindeer farm thier both cool and so is downtown Palmer. Thier are lots of neat things to do in the valley.

I agree with Penny watch your speeds. Moose tend to win in a Car vs Moose as far as sheer waight. Moose end up loosing as most die when hit by a car but many times the car gets totalled as well and its not fun for the passangers in the vihicle either.

Stay safe and have fun in my beatiful state,

Adri :)

Outside Denali NP, cow moose (possibly with calf) are all the wildlife you are likely to see, and those sightings tend to be rare. The one place where regularly-spotted wildlife is seen is after Denali NP and before Healy as you go over the Nenana River bridge there are often Dall sheep on the cliffs to the right of the highway. There are a couple of pullouts before the bridge but you will probably need binoculars to see them very well.

Usually, the only time I've really seen moose along the way going north from the road is in the Hay Flats (it's basically the area once you cross the bridge over the Knik River and before you hit the split between the Glenn and Parks Highway). And as the years have progressed there have been less and less out there.

Hard thing is that with their coloring and where they like to hang out alot of times you just miss them and the other thing is usually by the time you spot them there is really no way to stop and pull over.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I agree with Susan about the "flats", but also just outside of Anchorage out to Eagle River. There's a reason that big fence is there...it's to keep moose off the highway, and we frequently see moose on one side or the other of it. The other prime spot is right before Cantwell--you'll know it because all of a sudden you're above treeline. We've seen caribou and grizzly bears in that area.

The thing is, you can see animals in the most unlikely places, like the moose crossing the street in the middle of Anchorage a couple of weeks ago that we had to stop for, or the grizzly in our school playground. Keep your eyes open and have the passenger constantly looking. Swampy areas are great places to look...there might not be more moose there, but it's easier to see them!

Today on the way to our house (just off the Parks Highway), our son saw a moose laying in the creek, enjoying the water. Although you're more likely to see animals early morning or late evening, they're not necessarily in hiding the rest of the day.

Take the Petersville Road turnoff at Trapper Creek. Since you'll be in a rental car pay attention to the road conditions. You might not want to go much past the roadhouse. At various times I've seen a lot wildlife along that road.

Take the Petersville Road turnoff at Trapper Creek. Since you'll be in a rental car pay attention to the road conditions. You might not want to go much past the roadhouse. At various times I've seen a lot wildlife along that road.

Another great choice...

Great advice from all of you! Thanks! I actually had looked into that Petersville turnoff. From what I read, the road is paved for the first 10 or so miles, but after that it can get quite rough. Is that pretty accurate? We also have Eagle Creek on our list of places to stop at on the drive up.

Great advice from all of you! Thanks! I actually had looked into that Petersville turnoff. From what I read, the road is paved for the first 10 or so miles, but after that it can get quite rough. Is that pretty accurate? We also have Eagle Creek on our list of places to stop at on the drive up.

yes

Before careful about gravel roads as most of the major car rental agencies do not allow their cars to go onto gravel.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Petersville Road isn't one where your gonna have people speeding at 50 mph throwing up gravel. I'd drive a rental car out it and wouldn't worry about it. But when it looks muddy, knarly and rutted I'd stop.

Play it by ear once you get there. If it's been raining a lot then you might want to turn around at the end of the pavement. If it's dry go as far as you feel comfortable with.

So is it worth it if only going to drive the first 10 miles not going to drive the unpaved portion? Also where is Eagle Creek?

No one can tell you the answer to that question. What might be "worth it" to me might not be to you.... Except for a couple of dollars worth of gas the drive is free. It's not a toll road.

Outside Denali NP, cow moose (possibly with calf) are all the wildlife you are likely to see, and those sightings tend to be rare. The one place where regularly-spotted wildlife is seen is after Denali NP and before Healy as you go over the Nenana River bridge there are often Dall sheep on the cliffs to the right of the highway. There are a couple of pullouts before the bridge but you will probably need binoculars to see them very well.

Do they give you a heads-up about those pullouts? I really don't want to miss those opportunities to check the wildlife.

This is going to be a tricky one, but give it a try. On the way up to Denali, you will pass the Princess McKinley lodge. Just past it or VERY close by the entrance is a dirt hill on the right while headed north. Those holes in the hill are fox dens. If you get lucky, you will see foxes and their kits. It has worked out several times for us over the years.

Archived