Hawaiian Beaches

calibird

My sister and I are cruising to Hawaii in October, Golden Princess out of LA. Itinerary includes Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and Lahaina. We love beaches and would just like to sit on a beach or two when we get there for maybe half a day. What are the easiest beaches to access and on which island? I don't see any strictly beach excursions being offered through the cruise or I would definitely go that route. We would love a beach where you can rent chairs, unbrellas, etc. A beach towel and flip flops just don't do it for me anymore. Any expertise in this area would be appreciated.:confused:

Thank you.

Your best bets might be on Kauai and in Lahaina. When you dock in Nawiliwili on Kauai you will be within a nice easy 10 min walk of Kalapaki beach. This is a public beach, as are all in Hawaii, but fronts the Marriott resort. There are both sand and grassy areas under the palms and the water is calm. You can rent chairs if you choose and there a number of places to eat or drink if you want. It is really one of the nicest little beaches you will ever find.

There isn't much of a beach right in Lahaina but there is a local bus that you can catch very close to where you tender in. It runs up to Ka'anapali where there is a beautiful beach as well as shops and restaurants. The bus is inexpensive and runs on a regular schedule. Once you're ashore just ask any of the locals in the harbour area and they'll point you in the right direction. Enjoy your trip.:)

We are beach people....and found some wonderful beaches. However we did rent a car at each port which allowed us to optimize our time and not have to worry about catching public transportation.

Here are the ones we visited:

Maui-Kaanapali Beach...we rented chairs in front of the Sheraton

Hilo-didn't do a beach

Kauai-Kalapaka Beach...rented chairs right there. It is in front of the Marriott which was within walking distance of our ship or there is a free trolley to pick you up at the ship every 15 min.

Oahu-Lanakai or Kailua are the best beaches ever!! They are about 20 minutes outside of Honolulu in a residental area...you would need to take a taxi or have a car. The only place that might have chair rental tho' is at the Kailua Beach Park.

Oahu-Lanakai or Kailua are the best beaches ever!! They are about 20 minutes outside of Honolulu in a residental area...you would need to take a taxi or have a car. The only place that might have chair rental tho' is at the Kailua Beach Park.

I stayed within walking distance of Kailua Beach Park and accessed the beach just north of it. I do not recall seeing any chair rental at the park. You can probably call one of the numbers on this website to find out for sure:

http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/programs/beach/kailua.htm

My husband I did the Hawaiian cruise and rented a car for each port and took in several beaches along the way as we had time between sight seeing. Just pulled over and picked one each time with no preplanning and was never disappointed. I don't recall chairs, unless you are near the hotels, we preferred the more local beaches to get the true feel of the islands instead of the touristy areas. Do highly recommend taking a snorkel and mask too. We saw amazing fish just swimming around right off the beaches. We are not avid snorkelers either, just took the walmart set. Be sure and get a "Shave Ice" from the van vendors too. It's nothing like our snow cones. Gosh.... I guess I need a return trip, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed this trip till I started reflecting. You will have a blast! Enjoy!!!!!!

My wife and I will be on the same cruise. WooHoo! What we have been doing is looking for resorts near the port, that are on the beach. I was Google mapping the port and looking for resorts nearby. That way, you can rent some chairs, order a drink or two, and even get a bite to eat. We were thinking of just cabbing it to the resorts once on land. The resorts also have a lot of good literature for things to do in the area as well.

Anyone know what the costs of chair rental are at Kalapaki Beach?

Not exactly sure, but inexpensive. There is also a very nice grassy area under the palms, within feet of the beach. You may decide you don't even need chairs.:)

• 1 month later...
My wife and I will be on the same cruise. WooHoo! What we have been doing is looking for resorts near the port, that are on the beach. I was Google mapping the port and looking for resorts nearby. That way, you can rent some chairs, order a drink or two, and even get a bite to eat. We were thinking of just cabbing it to the resorts once on land. The resorts also have a lot of good literature for things to do in the area as well.

This is what I would like to do on Maui... I'm afraid that Hilo, Honolulu and Kauai are all spoken for... Is there a particular resort that you would recommend (even if we have to buy a day pass)? I would rather have a nice beach day on Maui... Thanks!

This is what I would like to do on Maui... I'm afraid that Hilo, Honolulu and Kauai are all spoken for... Is there a particular resort that you would recommend (even if we have to buy a day pass)? I would rather have a nice beach day on Maui... Thanks!

Check out the resorts at Wailea Beach on Maui ;)

You won't be able to use any hotel/resort facilities because they are not open to the public. In the past, almost none of the hotels/resorts in Hawaii offered day passes. However, it's possible that some of the hotels/resorts might be offering day passes because tourism is down. Most of us don't know specifically which might, so it's hard to recommend one. You might call and ask at the Sheraton, the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, the Westin, the Royal Lahaina, or the Hyatt on Ka'anapali. The Grand Wailea in Wailea offered day passes sometimes in years past, but they were pretty pricy (something like $100/person). You could try the Fairmont also in Wailea-Makena. The only way to know if any will offer day passes the day you are there is to call.

However, the beaches in Hawaii are all public. You can plop yourself right down on any beach fronting any hotel/resort. Most have umbrellas, lounges, and even cabanas for guests. These days, they are far more open to renting those to non-guests (again because of tourism being down). For sure you will find umbrellas and lounges available for rent on Ka'anapali at least one place and probably more.

Really either Ka'anapali or Wailea-Makena are your best bets for those possibilities. However, I would call the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua just for grins because Kapalua (north of Ka'anapali) is a wonderful beach. You could also try the Outrigger or one of the other hotels around Napili, another fabulous beach. I can't give you any information on whether you could rent umbrellas and lounges or whether any would offer day passes, but those are both great locations.

beachchick

I would rather have a nice beach day on Maui...

There are rentals on Kaanapali beach both hotels and stand-alone operations. It's a good place for a daytrip, beach, shopping for when you get too hot, not to forget places to eat ! Don't overlook the little whaling museum, it's quite good.

http://www.kaanapaliresort.com/WhatToDo/

Thanks! I assume most of the resorts would offer something like a day pass for cruise tourists? As long as you eat and drink? :)

Sorry, I would not know that for sure. You would have to call each of them to ask.

I do know all beaches are open to the public. There is a marked 'beach access' area for Wailea Beach. Also, while we were staying there we over heard some of our resort staff telling beach goers that down at the right end of the beach, when you are looking at the ocean, would rent them chairs and umbrellas. Also available, to anyone for a charge, is stand up paddling, kayaking, snorkeling equip............... You are able to access the resort's restaurants from the beach, however, I did not see any food or drinks being served out on the beach.

Good Luck!! Hope you will be able to enjoy Wailea Beach, it is beautiful!! :)

Thanks! I assume most of the resorts would offer something like a day pass for cruise tourists? As long as you eat and drink? :)

We were just in Hawaii on the Pride of America. Several tour guides told the same story... ALL beaches in Hawaii are, by law, PUBLIC. No hotel, condo or house can deny you access to any beach. From the water back many feet it is public. You can own a multi million dollar house on the ocean, but you do not own the beach and cannot prevent tourists from using it. The same is true of hotels.

So pick any beach you want and find the beach access path to it and enjoy.

In the past, absolutely not. Cruise tourists are really a pretty small percentage of the overall visitor population. When the hotels/resorts are booked to capacity, they don't generally offer day passes to cruise (or other) folks because the booked guests expect to be able to have the use of the facilities they paid for.

But again, because tourism is down, many of the hotels/resorts aren't full all the time and some will almost certainly offer either umbrella/lounge/cabana rentals or day passes (which can be pricy). Many have offered umbrella/lounge/cabana rentals to non-guests for quite some time based on availability. As mentioned, there are also stand-alone places along some of the resort-heavy beaches (e.g., Ka'anapali) that rental umbrellas, chairs, and even some water/snorkel equipment.

I think sometimes people expect Hawaii to be like the Caribbean, where the usually small islands rely very heavily now on cruise passengers for tourist dollars. But that's not the case.

beachchick

In the past, absolutely not. Cruise tourists are really a pretty small percentage of the overall visitor population.

I think sometimes people expect Hawaii to be like the Caribbean, where the usually small islands rely very heavily now on cruise passengers for tourist dollars. But that's not the case.

beachchick

Thank you all... I booked the Hula Girl excursion instead... Catamaran with snorkeling and/or diving (great reviews on TripAdvisor)...

Thank you all... I booked the Hula Girl excursion instead... Catamaran with snorkeling and/or diving (great reviews on TripAdvisor)...

I'm on this same cruise on the Golden leaving October 13. What is the Hula girl excursion and on what island? Sounds interesting.

I'm on this same cruise on the Golden leaving October 13. What is the Hula girl excursion and on what island? Sounds interesting.

Hula Girl is a snorkel/dive excursion on Maui... Here is the website:

http://www.sailingmaui.com/Hula_Girl/index.htm

Please do post a review when you return! Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived