Experience with Aviaton Restraint Systems?

sas80

We will be flying to Europe in the fall of 2011 with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I do not want to lug their car seat(s) on the plane and am considering investing in an aviation restraint system.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Both from the mechanical 'does it work well, easy to set up, etc" viewpoint and how their kids reacted to it, etc.

Also, does a 5 year old even need the extra restraint system? Or is a lap belt sufficent on an airplane. We dont mind investing in it for DS if he needs it - we just dont have the history of "owning" a 5 yo to know better :)

http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviation-Restraint-System/dp/B0012E4FV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1275921394&sr=1-2

Thanks!

You can rent the CARES systems off of Ebay. Honestly, I would skip it for both. We used them for our 6 year old and our 3 year old on our flights going out but didn't bother with them coming home.

They were easy to set up and all that. The biggest issue is that while the system secures the chest really well, there is nothing securing between the legs so they can slide down. It was also hard for my kids to get comfy when they wanted to take a nap.

I have used the CARES system for my DD several times until she outgrew it. She is now 5 and I stopped using it last year as she got to tall. If I recall there is a Max height of 42inches for the child. CARES is not approved in all countries. If you go onto their Website, (kidsflysafe ) it will tell you which countries are OK. If you can use it, I really recommend it. It is soooo easy to use.

Lisa

I last used my CARES when my DD was 2 1/2. I thought it worked great and is very easy to use. It gives me peace of mind. The vast majority of flights are uneventfull. I have flown a lot in my lifetime and I have been on 2 really rough flights. I did not have my children with me on these two flights, but people were falling and the drink carts were flying around and one broke a flight attendant's leg. You never know when this will happen and I just feel better having the extra protection from CARES without having to lug around a car seat.

I last used my CARES when my DD was 2 1/2. I thought it worked great and is very easy to use. It gives me peace of mind. The vast majority of flights are uneventfull. I have flown a lot in my lifetime and I have been on 2 really rough flights. I did not have my children with me on these two flights, but people were falling and the drink carts were flying around and one broke a flight attendant's leg. You never know when this will happen and I just feel better having the extra protection from CARES without having to lug around a car seat.

It is the turblence and the possibility of a rough landing that worries me. I know I cant hold them and keep them safe, due to momentum and velocity.

We will see if the toddler is in a booster seat by the time we depart and we will check ebay (thanks for the tip) and even craigslist and freecycle for used ones.

Thanks for the input :)

Archived