Barrier Reef Snorkel and Beach Break in Belize

CPandJP

I have booked this excursion through Carnival in Belize. I have never snorkeled before and wanted to know if this excursion is something a beginner could do? How much instructions do they give you and what is the water like (depth and current) where they take you? Does the snorkeling equipment they provide fit you well or do most people bring their own? I was just looking to go to the beach but this is the only thing Carnival offered with a beach excursion. I feel more comfortable doing an excursion through Carnival in Belize than on my own.

I have booked this excursion through Carnival in Belize. I have never snorkeled before and wanted to know if this excursion is something a beginner could do? How much instructions do they give you and what is the water like (depth and current) where they take you? Does the snorkeling equipment they provide fit you well or do most people bring their own? I was just looking to go to the beach but this is the only thing Carnival offered with a beach excursion. I feel more comfortable doing an excursion through Carnival in Belize than on my own.

Welcome to CC! We did this excursion a few years back but we brought our mask and snorkel with us. Water is very shallow and the group was pretty small for the couple of guides we had. It was great, we are divers, so no issues with the learning to snorkel - it's really quite easy! My recommendation would be to get yourself and inexpensive mask and snorkel that fits properly and try it out in a local pool before you go. Have a great cruise!

We did this last year - one thing I like is that they pick you up right from the ship. We did tender into town in the am for a quick trip (had to get a magnet that I didn't have time to do the 1st time we were there). We had a good amount of time to snorkel and a nice time on the beach.

Here's a few shots from the reef:

2922213520059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2482925350059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2088512640059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

I haven't done this particular excursion, but I love to snorkel everywhere we go. I wouldn't have any worries, especially if it is a Carnival excursion. Almost every excursion I've been on had new snorkelers and the people always help them. It is very easy...they give you an inflatable vest that helps you float on the surface and you just float around and watch. Not necessary to bring your own equipment...they have everything. We just brought all of our kids (6) on their first snorkeling trip...2 were very nervous...all had a great time!:)

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone has been recently...

Do they make you were the vest while snorkeling or is it optional?

Also, someone said they pick you up right from the ship? No tender? This sounds like it would avoid a lot of headaches. We are on Celebrity Equinox on January 20,2014.

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone now how long you will get to stay at the beach? So far we had to wear snorkel jackets on all our Carnival snorkel excursions, it was mandatory. I do not like it too much but guess it adds to the safety of everybody...

We booked our own excursion with Ivar. He took us out snorkeling; swimming with the sharks and rays and then to Caye Caulker for an authentic island lunch on the beach--not fancy but great food! It was a full day and we could not have had a better day. Highly recommend and in fact using him again in December. He went out in the water with us and showed us the fish etc. Was very respectful of the reef and made sure we were properly instructed.

Pbuay@yahoo

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone has been recently...

Do they make you were the vest while snorkeling or is it optional?

Also, someone said they pick you up right from the ship? No tender? This sounds like it would avoid a lot of headaches. We are on Celebrity Equinox on January 20,2014.

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did this last year with Carnival. They did instruct you to wear the inflatable vest, but you could blow it up to suit you or not blow it up at all if you chose not to, I suppose. The thing is I don't recall them picking us up from the ship. I think we tendered and got on a different boat. But the snorkeling was wonderful, the crew was very supportive of all the first time snorkelers. The private island was pretty nice too. We stayed there about an hour and half to two hours. They had hammocks, some water toys and a bar in case you wanted something cold to drink.

• 2 weeks later...
Should you bring your own snorkel items, or do they sanitize well? Or dot hey change the moth piece out? thinking we may bring our own.

Also is it US cash they accept on Belize and Roatan?

We are brining our own snorkel and mask. they provide life vest that are required.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they dock at the island or anchor out where you have to swim ashore? Is the snorkeling from the beach? My husband doesn't swim, but would like to try to snorkel from shore. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

I've done this excursion twice, they pick you up from the ship, go out to the reef in open water where you snorkel for about 1.5 hours or so, then they go dock at Bannister Island - no snorkeling there. The last time we went we were with friends, one of which was a non-swimmer. He was the first one to jump off the boat!!!! His wife was :eek:!! The vests you wear can be blown up and act like a life preserver (or you can leave it airless). Snorkeling on the reef is beautiful. The swimming area at Bannister is not the best in the world so we just plant ourselves in a hammock and relax.

Do they dock at the island or anchor out where you have to swim ashore? Is the snorkeling from the beach? My husband doesn't swim, but would like to try to snorkel from shore. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

I've done this excursion twice, they pick you up from the ship, go out to the reef in open water where you snorkel for about 1.5 hours or so, then they go dock at Bannister Island - no snorkeling there. The last time we went we were with friends, one of which was a non-swimmer. He was the first one to jump off the boat!!!! His wife was :eek:!! The vests you wear can be blown up and act like a life preserver (or you can leave it airless). Snorkeling on the reef is beautiful. The swimming area at Bannister is not the best in the world so we just plant ourselves in a hammock and relax.

Thanks for this info!! Very helpful and cannot wait for our trip :)

One additional comment about the snorkel vests: They are most comfortable if you only put just a little bit of air in them. It's enough to keep you floating on the surface quite relaxed (rather than having to work to stay afloat) and still allows you to easily put your face in the water to watch the fish. If you blow them up with too much air, it becomes difficult to put your face in the water and the strap that runs down between your legs - let's just put this delicately and say it becomes uncomfortable. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived