Legend Review (part 3)

Susan2u

Ports:

Carnival told you on the first port day to stay on ship time……… but never told you that all of the islands did not observe day light saving time and were an hour ahead (we knew because I looked into it before we left) Important for people booking outside excursions.

In St. Martin we took the water taxi $5.00 round trip into town and shopped, In Barbados we did the sunset catamaran, snorkel with the turtles and view a ship wreck with El Tigre. It was the best excursion I have done. We had 13 people total on the catamaran and the crew was great keeping glasses full and entertaining us. In Martinique we took a taxi into town $3.00 each (in a van with others), and then took the ferry $6.00 round trip from Fort de France to Pointe du bout. We went to the hotel beach and it was great. You could have rented chairs but we figured we were there such a short time we just used our towels. The ferry dropped us off in town and we shopped on the way back to grab a cab, again $3.00 each (in a van with others).

Waiters and Room Steward

We had table 242 with Baryo and Frederick. They were outstanding, funny and simply the best. Baryo catered to all of my food wishes. Remember I am fussy and a plain food eater. I found Carnivals food to be too gourmet and they don’t offer alternative on the dining room menu (like RCCL) I requested a fresh fruit cup every night and received it without a problem. I didn’t like the dinner choices on 3 nights and Baryo brought me grilled chicken breast, baked potato, and broccoli. The prime rib was very fatty and the filet lacked taste, (the entire table agreed on this point). Favorite dessert is still flourless chocolate cake.

The Unicorn Café is buffet food, room temperature, etc. The deli sandwiches, pizza, salad and fruit were great. The soft serve ice cream machines are outside and if they had toppings on sea days I missed it (not from the lack of looking lol but they had 4 machines).

Leo was our room steward and did a great job with our cabin. He never once mentioned that we took our inside table out on the balcony to hold the door open completely. I forgot my bungee cord. Word of caution………….. having the balcony door open creates a wind tunnel…… we found out one morning when we ordered room service and all of the paperwork (room service menus, capers, etc.) went flying when the door opened. On the last sea day it was extremely windy and as I was trying to head to breakfast my door wouldn’t open. I had my foot anchored on the door frame and both hands tugging the handle but the wind suction was too much. After shutting the balcony door I was set free.

Disembarkment:

What a nightmare……. Carnival seems to have no rhyme or reason on how or when people leave the ship. They ask you for your flight information but unless your flight is before 12:00 in FLL or 1:00 in Mia they don’t care. They group you into colors based on your room number. Not on when your flights depart. Our flight was 12:05 but was told we didn’t qualify to leave first (airlines changed our time not us). They don’t have any representatives in the areas you are assigned too, to tell you what is happening etc. Of course with us being in the Follies Lounge the speakers didn’t work until someone mentioned it to a worker. The first group was called around 9:30 am, the next two colors were called just before 10:00 (of course not our color), we ended up getting behind the last of these colors and left the ship. We would have missed our flight had we not done this. We grabbed a cab and headed for the airport (taxi driver said 13 ships were in FLL today), the airport was complete chaos, with all of these cruise ships arriving at the same time, and two airports having to cancel or re route flights because of weather there were long lines. We flew first class and still waited in line for at least a ½ hour. We boarded our plane as soon as we made it through security, that is how tight it was.

Over all we had a blast, total relaxation, great table mates, met a few cruise critic members (even though I lurked the entire time and didn’t sign up for roll call). The entire ships staff was very friendly and helpful. We never encountered any unhappy employees.

Susan

They don't put it on the menu but you can order either Grilled Chicken or a Top Sirloin Steak every night in the dining room if you don't like the selections listed. Also you can have any kind of potato or rice listed on the menu or just a Baked Potato with Sour Cream, etc. Just have to ask your waiter for it.

Was on the Legend for the Christmas (12/21) AND New Years (12/29) sailings and loved it..............anyone going soon.............if you get Oscar or Thomas (from Costa Rica) as your cabin stewards or Gene and Oliver as your waiter and assistant tell them I said hello! They are wonderful!

Loved your review. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Any tips on best way to get around on ship? Was there any special buffets? Sushi or Chocolate?

We're doing the Western cruise.

Thanks

Hi,

They had the usual 11:30 Late Night Bistro (as they call it) most nights in the Unicorn cafe, we had 1 gala midnight buffet, and one pool deck party when leaving Barbados. I did see sushi one day during lunch but to be honest I really didn't look other times. They had Asian food every day and then they had Taste of Nations (a different country every day). No chocolate buffet sorry.

• 5 months later...
.....Gene and Oliver as your waiter and assistant tell them I said hello! They are wonderful!......

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I wanted to brag about Gene and Oliver. I was on the 7/3/05 sailing of the Miracle and had them. I am assuming they are the same Gene(Romainian?) and Oliver. They were the 2 best workers on the ship. I was also glad to be on board when Gene found out about his promotion to Assistant Maitre'D(He started that position on 7/10 and because we were delayed so much I got to see him in his new uniform, he was very proud of it!) . Our group tipped him a bunch extra at the end of the cruise because they were so great! He definitely deserved the promotion.

They don't put it on the menu but you can order either Grilled Chicken or a Top Sirloin Steak every night in the dining room if you don't like the selections listed. Also you can have any kind of potato or rice listed on the menu or just a Baked Potato with Sour Cream, etc. Just have to ask your waiter for it.

Was on the Legend for the Christmas (12/21) AND New Years (12/29) sailings and loved it..............anyone going soon.............if you get Oscar or Thomas (from Costa Rica) as your cabin stewards or Gene and Oliver as your waiter and assistant tell them I said hello! They are wonderful!

LornaT, I hope you get this message. We are going on the Legend over New Years, and was wondering what they did special for New Years Eve??? Anything you can tell me would be helpful. I'm assuming they have 3 formal nights rather than the typical 2??? You can e-mail me at Amymelissa59@yahoo.com

Archived