Princess at Sea - Chapel or Deck?

Hello everyone! I'm hoping those of you who are marrying or have married on Princess at sea can give me some guidance. We are getting married at sea in January 2011. I originally wanted a wedding on the deck, but the TWE coordinator discouraged me saying, it's not private, we couldn't have music, decorations, or chairs for our guest. She also said it is noisy and not private since it is on the deck above the pool. After hearing all that we were leaning towards the chapel, mostly because our parents are older and need to sit. I can't imagine everyone standing. Then I saw deck wedding pictures on this board and there were chairs, flowers, a runner, flowers...everything she said I couldn't have. Is she mistaken because I'd really like a wedding on the deck as opposed to the chapel.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

We are getting married on Princess next year and have also requested getting married on the back deck. TWE informed me that they will not be able to confirm this request until the new staff gets aboard the ship in a few months and likely our request will have to be re-confirmed closer to the wedding date. I have also inquired about white chair covers and sashes so I assumed that chairs would be available at the ceremony. I hope this helps!

This is something we've been going around and around about as well -- we're getting married next month.

TWE discourages it, for sure, but the ones I've seen here in photos I found to be nicely done as well. Alexandra at TWE told us the same thing, no music, no flowers, etc etc etc.

Can anyone whose actually been wed on deck confirm if they planned this in advance or the scoop on what you went through?

This is something we've been going around and around about as well -- we're getting married next month.

TWE discourages it, for sure, but the ones I've seen here in photos I found to be nicely done as well. Alexandra at TWE told us the same thing, no music, no flowers, etc etc etc.

Can anyone whose actually been wed on deck confirm if they planned this in advance or the scoop on what you went through?

I had the same conversation with Alexandra too, but in a past thread...sorry I tried finding it. There was a girl that shared her pictures (from her facebook) and said half of what TWE says is true. Worse case is you talk to the coordinator on the ship and then decide. Let me know what happens because I'm wanting the same thing in September.

Hello everyone! I'm hoping those of you who are marrying or have married on Princess at sea can give me some guidance. We are getting married at sea in January 2011. I originally wanted a wedding on the deck, but the TWE coordinator discouraged me saying, it's not private, we couldn't have music, decorations, or chairs for our guest. She also said it is noisy and not private since it is on the deck above the pool. After hearing all that we were leaning towards the chapel, mostly because our parents are older and need to sit. I can't imagine everyone standing. Then I saw deck wedding pictures on this board and there were chairs, flowers, a runner, flowers...everything she said I couldn't have. Is she mistaken because I'd really like a wedding on the deck as opposed to the chapel.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I was married in the wedding chapel on the Star Princess in December (summer in South America) and I am so glad we were not on deck for the ceremony.

The chapel was lovely and included lit candles on the aisle, a white grand piano for the musician, a table for signing the required documents (with more lit candles), two large white lily and rose floral arrangements, the wedding cam, comfortable guest seating, and privacy.

After our wedding, we did go out to the aft deck for photographs and it was incredibly windy. With all the sunlight on the white ship and reflecting off the water, we had a hard time keeping our sunglasses off for the photos. My hair was blowing wildly, not to mention my dress and bouquet ribbons. Even our words flew away from our mouths unless we turned our heads just right. I would not have wanted to shout my vows. The pictures turned out great but a 20-minute ceremony would have been marred by fighting the elements instead of savoring the romance of the wedding.

My recommendation is to choose the best of both worlds: have your ceremony in the chapel, and celebrate on deck afterwards. You will find that as you walk around the ship for pictures or whatever, total strangers will come up to you and congratulate you. They will tell you how beautiful you are and be very gracious for the most part. On the other hand, one lady called down from an upper deck to remind me to take my sunglasses off for a photo. If you don't want that happening during your ceremony, do the indoor thing. You most likely will be happy with that plan. Best wishes for a happy marriage!

Hi there, we were married on deck in April this year on the Emerald. TWE has to tell you that chairs, decorations, etc. aren't available because they are not in charge of that - the onboard wedding coordinator is. We had everything - chairs, decorations, music (we did have to provide a CD, some other brides have brought Ipods), etc. set up for us. It is true that it is not private, though. We had many onlookers by the pools and pool decks. They do block off the entrances to that deck so people who are not there for your wedding can't come sit in your chairs. To be honest, I barely even saw them and thought it was kind of cool.

Some cons to the deck ceremony is that it is a bit windy and no one past the first row or two will really be able to hear you or the captain speaking.

I personally thought it was beautiful and would do a deck ceremony again in a heartbeat!

Hope this helps your decision,

Jill

We got married in the chapel onboard the Grand Princess. The thought of a deck wedding crossed our minds for a few minutes, but we didn't want to have to worry about the weather. Also, our grandparents and other family members were not able to travel with us, but were able to view some of our ceremony via the webcam in the chapel.

Here is the e-mail I got from my travel agent:

We do have some factors that weigh in with a deck ceremony. Please note this location is not fully private, and there may be some on lookers. In addition, there may be no chairs, no décor, or music, and of course, it’s weather permitting.

Would someone who's been married on the deck be willing to share pictures of their ceremony?

Here is the e-mail I got from my travel agent:

We do have some factors that weigh in with a deck ceremony. Please note this location is not fully private, and there may be some on lookers. In addition, there may be no chairs, no décor, or music, and of course, it’s weather permitting.

Would someone who's been married on the deck be willing to share pictures of their ceremony?

You need to go to the "My Ruby Princess Wedding Review" thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892664

The girl is A LOT of help in her review and has a link to her facebook page were she has pictures listed. The first link she has doesn't work, but use the facebook one and it takes you right to her pictures. It looks fantastic! Hope that helps.

thank you! that helps a lot, the wedding out on the deck looks beautiful

While never getting married on board ship, we have sailed many times (110) and watched many deck weddings..........they are beautiful and if it were me getting married on a ship i would want the deck wedding........the other passengers love it and i would think it would really add a lot to your day and memories.

And there has always been flowers, music (remember once their being a keyboard) chairs etc.

Enjoy your wedding whatever u decide and more than that, enjoy your marriage.

While never getting married on board ship, we have sailed many times (110) and watched many deck weddings..........they are beautiful and if it were me getting married on a ship i would want the deck wedding........the other passengers love it and i would think it would really add a lot to your day and memories.

And there has always been flowers, music (remember once their being a keyboard) chairs etc.

Enjoy your wedding whatever u decide and more than that, enjoy your marriage.

Thank you for letting us know there is hope of flowers and music even though TWE is telling us no. It's nice to see others on our side too.:D

Archived