Does Carnival pat you down?

YES, every time I board, including all the ports....otherwise I would use the beerbellyphoto08.jpgBEERBELLY ~~!!~~

Women can always use the WINERACK...wine1.gif

It is SOP if you have a pacemaker and can not go through the metal detectors they always pat you down, however security has yet to discover that my walking cane is filled with gin....... 113.gif That was my one secret I did NOT tell the FBI when they asked how I was able to smuggle AK47's and C4 on board. The head of the FBI Maritime Safety Enforcement suggested I tell them my secret, which was all I need to spill my gut of how easy it was to smuggle everything on board ships and aircraft and supposedly they are taking steps to close the huge gapping hole in their security screening.

:confused:

My father had a knee replacement a while back, and since then he's been patted down at every port we've embarked -- NYC, Miami, Tampa, Jax. He's always disappointed that no one offers to buy him dinner after the pat down.

I was patted down in Mobile last cruise. Not very well, but searched just the same. This was the same idiot that made me poor out water from my refillable bottle before she would let me thru the line. I made a joke about it and I guess she felt that she had to show how much authority she thought she had. Stupid!

In St. Kitts we saw and were subject to the most rigorous re-boarding searches. No-pat downs, but hats and glasses off, purses and beach bags searched, passports scrutinized. Even if you weren't trying to smuggle something on board, you felt like a criminal.:eek:

Why would you feel like a criminal? Guilty conscience?

Maybe I'm just desensatized to it, as the NYPD is fond of picking me to check my bag before getting on the subway, but if it bothers you that greatly, I'm sure there are alternative vacation options that don't require you to endure such measures.

My husband's shoes will set off the alarm.....I try to remember to tell him to take them off before he walks through! There are metal eyelets or something where the laces go through.

DD(13) just had a screw put in her foot. Makes me wonder if she is going to set them off if something as small as metal eyelets do it.

DD(13) just had a screw put in her foot. Makes me wonder if she is going to set them off if something as small as metal eyelets do it.

DS has 2 titanium rods in his forearm. He sets off the metal detectors at the ports but not at the airport:eek: go figure. At the ports they just wand his bare arm, and they can see the scars. They have always been very polite about it, in fact the each time they ask him to please step to the side and wait right there, maybe five feet from the detector, & wait for me to get through and bring me over before they wand him.

No biggie other than we thought it was funny that when we flew we had taken a copy of the "card" with location and all that and since we hadn't needed it we left it at home. They told me it wouldn't have mattered, set it off and you get wanded if they can't identify the cause (i.e. keys, change). Just tell her what to expect that way if they do stop her she'll be prepared. Also go with easy on/off shoes, just makes it easier.

My father had a knee replacement a while back, and since then he's been patted down at every port we've embarked -- NYC, Miami, Tampa, Jax. He's always disappointed that no one offers to buy him dinner after the pat down.

I've never been bought dinner after either :(

DS has 2 titanium rods in his forearm. He sets off the metal detectors at the ports but not at the airport:eek: go figure. At the ports they just wand his bare arm, and they can see the scars. They have always been very polite about it, in fact the each time they ask him to please step to the side and wait right there, maybe five feet from the detector, & wait for me to get through and bring me over before they wand him.

No biggie other than we thought it was funny that when we flew we had taken a copy of the "card" with location and all that and since we hadn't needed it we left it at home. They told me it wouldn't have mattered, set it off and you get wanded if they can't identify the cause (i.e. keys, change). Just tell her what to expect that way if they do stop her she'll be prepared. Also go with easy on/off shoes, just makes it easier.

She asked at the doctors office last week when she got her stitches out if she would set the security machines off and they told her it depended on how sensitive the machines were set. She figured she would have an easier time on the ship than she would going through airports and since we were driving this time wouldn't have to worry about it. Sounds like it is just the opposite. I'm sure she will be wearing flip flops again in a month so she won't have to worry about taking her shoes off. They didn't give us a "card" at the doctors office. They did give us a photocopy of the x-ray showing the screw her foot and said to take a copy of that with us if anyone questioned it.

In NY last year I set off the metal detectors...we could not figure out what it was...they wanded me and it went off just below the waist...well, you could tell by the look on the guys face he didn't know what to do...he asked me...do you have a piercing? I said no...so he called over another guy...my husband and I were laughing trying to figure out what it was or how they were going to check...about 30 seconds later I remembered my panties had a metal charm on them...I told the guy I think I know what it is...I walked back behind the metal detectors, took off my panties and handed them to my husband and went through with no problems...showed him the metal butterfly and put them back on and was on my way...oh the things these security guys must see....they were speechless and we couldn't stop laughing...

We got the card several years ago - I don't think they use them anymore b/c it doesn't matter to security. We were really surprised too! The radiology dept was great and made an extra smaller xray for us for when we travel - it's about the size of a piece of paper, so cool - fits right in the travel folder. But DO prepare her just in case, the first time it happened DS was 11 and he was nervous b/c his friends and his older brothers friends told him all kinds of stuff.:eek:

We got the card several years ago - I don't think they use them anymore b/c it doesn't matter to security. We were really surprised too! The radiology dept was great and made an extra smaller xray for us for when we travel - it's about the size of a piece of paper, so cool - fits right in the travel folder. But DO prepare her just in case, the first time it happened DS was 11 and he was nervous b/c his friends and his older brothers friends told him all kinds of stuff.:eek:

Makes me wonder if I should warn her and have her worry about nothing or just say nothing and let her think it won't be a problem until the machine goes off and she sees how easy it is to go through. That way she won't be worrying about it for the next month.

Makes me wonder if I should warn her and have her worry about nothing or just say nothing and let her think it won't be a problem until the machine goes off and she sees how easy it is to go through. That way she won't be worrying about it for the next month.

I wouldn't mention it...we have a friend that has a metal plate in his head that goes off and they wand him and he shows them the scar and they are fine with that...

I've been reading countless threads about smuggling alchohol. I finally gave my husband a confused look and asked... do they pat you down or something? Check your waistbands, under your cap or skirt?

I'm just wondering... because people seem to put a lot of thought into it. Yet, one large plastic bottle under your skirt should do the trick, no?

you think they might wonder why your walking so funny? Just put your rum runners in your pockets. No pat downs yet, but this thread might be sent to Big John. Then off to the beards.

How are you made to feel like a criminal? Did you get arrested? Sorry the price we people pay for safety and security.

Overboard? You may think so but the first time something happens TO YOU (god forbid) because of a skip/short cut in security Im sure you wont be ok with it.

They are just doing their jobs. If you feel they were over aggressive and or offensive in anyway find the person in charge and settle it. However if you were inconvenienced for the safety of me, my family and others that is a small price to pay.

Whoa, don't jump all over me. I just stated it was the first time while re-boarding the ship I have seen such rigorous checks.

Why would you feel like a criminal? Guilty conscience?

Maybe I'm just desensatized to it, as the NYPD is fond of picking me to check my bag before getting on the subway, but if it bothers you that greatly, I'm sure there are alternative vacation options that don't require you to endure such measures.

No guilty conscience, I have been pulled aside before, but, of the four ports on our cruise this particular time had my friend and I looking at each other in bewilderment. In Philadelphia whenever there was a routine traffic stop I used to think there was a giant X on top of my car and to make things more interesting I share the last name of one of Philly's prominent crime families. And it didn't bother me that much that I need to find an alternate vacation option, thank you very much.

This past May my wife was taken to the "naughty" room just beside the metal detectors at the port in Tampa because they could not determine what was in her purse. They found her fist-sized coin purse inside stuffed to the breaking point with quarters. They were very polite about it, but I was a little surprised that they had never encountered this particular "anomaly" before. :rolleyes:

Whoa, don't jump all over me. I just stated it was the first time while re-boarding the ship I have seen such rigorous checks.

Dont forget you also said:

Even if you weren't trying to smuggle something on board, you felt like a criminal.:eek:

Rigorus searches coupled with it "making you feel like a criminal' kind of seems it is stepped up a knotch from doign a lot of searches...

No guilty conscience, I have been pulled aside before, but, of the four ports on our cruise this particular time had my friend and I looking at each other in bewilderment. In Philadelphia whenever there was a routine traffic stop I used to think there was a giant X on top of my car and to make things more interesting I share the last name of one of Philly's prominent crime families. And it didn't bother me that much that I need to find an alternate vacation option, thank you very much.

Merillino? Conti? Street? ;)

Seriously though, it's a fine line between not enough security and too much. Folks are tending to err on the side of too much in the name of caution.

I've never been patted down... Mom, neither, and she's in a wheelchair permanently, doesn't even stand... The port folks wanded her... But NEVER have touched her in eight cruises!!![/size]

Exactly my point...... I believe every word you say... it futher points out security procedures..OR LACK thereof....... She is sitting in a metal wheel chair???? How real is the metal detecting wand if it doesn't beep???? Woolworth Special ?????

Archived