Chankanaab Dolphin Encounter-finish time of 1pm slot? Carnival excursion-Dolphinaris

kimmi5207

Hi, I'm hoping for some advise from past Dolphin Encounter participants.

For Cozumel, our ship is in port from 8-4pm, time back to ship would be 3:30 but I would like to arrive back no later than 3pm for my comfort level. I'm considering booking the Dolphin Encounter (not the swim) at Chankanaab Park, thru Dophin Discovery. It begins at 1pm.

From those who have experience, do the dolphin encounters tend to run on time? How long does it last? Is it likely that we will finish with time to purchase pictures and catch a cab back to the ship by 3pm?

Of course, I know the risk of booking shore excursions outside of Carnival. When I first begin cruising I purchased most excursions thru Carnival, but as I've cruised more, I tend to book in advance thru 3rd parties or book something after exiting the ship. It has always worked out well, but usually I'm in port later than 4pm.

Just curious as to whether we would be finished by 2:30pm, so that I can arrive back to the ship by 3pm, without being rushed. Or if it sometimes starts late. I have not yet booked with Dolphin Discovery - I'm waiting for input, as I hate to be rushed and feel nervous.

Carnival does offer a dolphin encounter. It's not that much more expensive ($89.95 Carnival vs $87.8/$74.5 Dolphin Discovery), but it goes to Dolphinaris. It looks nice, but it doesn't have all the extra stuff that Chankanaab Park has. Has anyone tried

Oh another note - about how much do the pictures run? I know I'm going to end up buying a couple as we probably won't do this again and I also have my 5 year old niece along, and I know she will probably not have another opportunity to cruise. Do they accept credit cards for picture purchases? Will they allow you to take your own pictures?

Thanks for your help.

We did the encounter and it did run as scheduled. To help out on time when you get there you can ask if there are any cancellations. For sure get there early enough for swimming and hanging out. After the encouter they take you to a room to watch the video (in hopes of you buying it...and you will). I think 2 hours is enough time, but you will have to keep the pace moving when ordering pictures and visiting the gift shop at the end. I understand your concern, it is cutting it close. i remember that they go over rules with you for 10 or 15 minutes. I dont know if that was inluded in the "start" time or if the start time begins with the Encourter itself in the water. What actually begins at 1pm Rules or the Encounter. We went early that morning so I was not really focused on time. If you can email them and ask these questions. My 4 yo daughter went and loved it.

Thanks. It helps to know that it starts on time, at least. I have looked somewhere online, and it says the Dolphin Encounter is 45 min. Of course that doesn't include the video viewing time, etc. It does say to show up 30 min early. From the website, it appears the encounter is only at 1pm and 3pm, so there may not be any cancellation, but it won't hurt for me to ask! I did go ahead and send an email from their website asking about the ending time, etc.

We plan to go there at around 9am when they open, so we can make the most of our time (and money)! There are 3 of us going, including my 17 year old son. Every review I've read of the park and dolphins is excellent, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm glad to know your 4 year old enjoyed it. My 5 year old niece "says" she wants to see and touch the Dolphins, but I was worried what would actually happen when we get in the water with them. I feel better now!

Thanks for your help!

We all stand on a platform, thefore I had to hold my daughter. But everytime "Maury" would come by I would help her lean over to touch and kiss him. She got a little heavy, but it was fun. There was a boy there older than my daughter about 5 or 6. He got scared and got out. :eek: Have fun and buy the pictures...what a memory. :) The pool was great. There was a really shallow end...great for kids, clean bathrooms. As you can tell I loved it! We did not eat there, so I dont know about the food.

Hi, I'm hoping for some advise from past Dolphin Encounter participants.

For Cozumel, our ship is in port from 8-4pm, time back to ship would be 3:30 but I would like to arrive back no later than 3pm for my comfort level. I'm considering booking the Dolphin Encounter (not the swim) at Chankanaab Park, thru Dophin Discovery. It begins at 1pm.

From those who have experience, do the dolphin encounters tend to run on time? How long does it last? Is it likely that we will finish with time to purchase pictures and catch a cab back to the ship by 3pm?

Of course, I know the risk of booking shore excursions outside of Carnival. When I first begin cruising I purchased most excursions thru Carnival, but as I've cruised more, I tend to book in advance thru 3rd parties or book something after exiting the ship. It has always worked out well, but usually I'm in port later than 4pm.

Just curious as to whether we would be finished by 2:30pm, so that I can arrive back to the ship by 3pm, without being rushed. Or if it sometimes starts late. I have not yet booked with Dolphin Discovery - I'm waiting for input, as I hate to be rushed and feel nervous.

Carnival does offer a dolphin encounter. It's not that much more expensive ($89.95 Carnival vs $87.8/$74.5 Dolphin Discovery), but it goes to Dolphinaris. It looks nice, but it doesn't have all the extra stuff that Chankanaab Park has. Has anyone tried

Oh another note - about how much do the pictures run? I know I'm going to end up buying a couple as we probably won't do this again and I also have my 5 year old niece along, and I know she will probably not have another opportunity to cruise. Do they accept credit cards for picture purchases? Will they allow you to take your own pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Is your Carnival ship leaving out of Miami? If so, Cozumel time will be 1 hour earlier than the ship's time, which is Eastern Daylight Savings Time. So a tour start time of 1:00pm local time for the Dolphin Encounter is 2:00pm ship's time which means you can't do it. You might want to try the Dolphins Swim Adventure that has a 10:00am start time or the Royal Dolphin Swim that has a 11:00am start time.

• 2 weeks later...
We all stand on a platform, thefore I had to hold my daughter. But everytime "Maury" would come by I would help her lean over to touch and kiss him. She got a little heavy, but it was fun. There was a boy there older than my daughter about 5 or 6. He got scared and got out. :eek: Have fun and buy the pictures...what a memory. :) The pool was great. There was a really shallow end...great for kids, clean bathrooms. As you can tell I loved it! We did not eat there, so I dont know about the food.

For those of you that have done the “Dolphin Encounter” – you mention that you were on a platform.

So are you not in the water??

Also, do you regret not doing the “Swim Adventure”?

I’m debating which one to do, but can’t figure out if it’s worth the extra $20/pp for the Swim Adventure.

We did the royal swim last year and had a great time. It was worth every penny. This year we are doing the encounter, only because we are bringing our 3 year old twins who are too small to do any of the other programs.

Archived