How safe is Freeport

CruiseCrazyII

We will be in Freeport in August. My husband and son are going deep sea fishing, which leaves my 12 yr old daughter and myself on our own for the day. I have been trying to figure out what we should do. I have never been to Freeport before, so I do not know that much about it. Is it safe for my daughter and I go out on our own. I do not scare easy and I have been several places alone, but it seems different taking my daughter. Are there any areas we should stay out of and any great ideas on what we should do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

I've been to Freeport twice, once with my DH and once with a "girl's only" cruise. I have always felt safe. Of course, I went during daylight hours, stayed in the tourist areas and if I felt uncomfortable somewhere, I left. As long as you STAY TOGETHER, I think you'll be fine. Take a cab to Our Lucaya. There is a beautiful beach there. There is a small straw market near by and the International Marketplace shopping area. It will be hot in August. Take a bottle or two of water with you.

Freeport is wonderful . Very clean island and very friendly people. We didn't have this same feeling in Nassau..

We're going back for the end of october and am really looking forward to spending our time in Freeport. I'd hop in a cab w/ your daughter and head to our Lucaya resorts for the day. Beaches are beautiful. They have hair braiding tents, jet skis, hotel facilities are $20.00 p/person for use of the pools, chairs, towels and beach. Then cross the street for some shopping and stop for Conch fritters.. You'll love it.

Freeport is wonderful . Very clean island and very friendly people. We didn't have this same feeling in Nassau..

This is how we felt too. I loved the people in Freeport they were so friendly and kind. Nassau - not so much. I also second going to Lucaya. Great atmosphere.

The ship docks at a busy industrial port. There isn't going to be much there to interest your daughter. You'll want to follow some of the above advice and take a shared van to "Our Lucaya" (about 5 bucks each.) Besides the beach passes, there is a straw market and boutique type shops there. When I was there, I didn't see anything unsafe at the port or Our Lucaya, but of course, you need to be aware anywhere.

I feel that Freeport is the Suburbs and Nassau is the City of the bahamas..

There is a difference between the two.

Why can't carnival switch around the times on each port. MORE time in freeport and alot less in Nassau..

This is how we felt too. I loved the people in Freeport they were so friendly and kind. Nassau - not so much. I also second going to Lucaya. Great atmosphere.

Archived