What do they do with the bodies?

Yep, some of the HAL ships can go out for 20-30 days at a time and sometimes the old geezers are going for one last hurrah cruise cuz they are getting old. Occasionally one of em don't wake up in the morning or when they kick the bucket their face falls in their morning bowl of All Bran cereal......

Lets hope they don't store the bodies in the cold food storage refridgeration!!!

wow... Did I offend? Is that type of question not allowed here?

You will soon learn - unless you are a lurker like I was for awhile before I had the nerve to post, that almost ANY question you ask will have someone make a comment. You will never learn unless you ask questions about what you DON'T know. Sometimes we find out things by people asking questions like yours so please don't let anyone discourage you.

Yes. I only have eleven posts. And?

I thought of something that I wanted to ask, so I asked it. It wasn't a stupid question. Now, I'm one answer wiser. Would you prefer that I hadn't bothered to ask? Let me know, because, I can be careful to only ask questions that are a little more acceptable to you, Julia.

Judgemental much?

You go girl. Even if it was your first question....so what? Ask away, someone will surely be able to help you, but you might pick up a few unnecessary comments along the way. Just ignore them!:rolleyes:

I read before that in a group of 2,000 to 4,000 people, the chances of one or two deaths aren't too shabby. I heard that the ships actually have a secret code that they announce over the P.A. system... "Bright Start" or something.

So my question is what do they do with all of the bodies?

Having been a nurse on a cruise ship I can answer your question factually.

Yes indeed there is a "morgue" or cold storage drawers for bodies. Had to use them several times during my contracts on a ship....even had a passenger that wanted to sit outside and "talk" to her dearly departed as she wanted to continue the cruise as was her husbands' wish.... very sad.... Even tho I have worked on a cruise ship, I still love to cruise, knowing what also goes on below deck and behind the scenes.... ! ;)

You will soon learn - unless you are a lurker like I was for awhile before I had the nerve to post, that almost ANY question you ask will have someone make a comment. You will never learn unless you ask questions about what you DON'T know. Sometimes we find out things by people asking questions like yours so please don't let anyone discourage you.

Wow... That made me smile. Actually, I started lurking in 2008. I changed computers, lost my info. and started over. I'm not big on posting on most forums. But, I kinda liked this one. I used to be loyal to Royal... sudden change of heart. But, thanks again.

Wow... That made me smile. Actually, I started lurking in 2008. I changed computers, lost my info. and started over. I'm not big on posting on most forums. But, I kinda liked this one. I used to be loyal to Royal... sudden change of heart. But, thanks again.

You are most welcome - "been there - done it". If you watch with any regularity now you will see me say and ask many "dumb" things and get ragged on but it doesn't stop me anymore. A true Northerner - tenacious to say the least.

Personally, I thought this was an interesting question (hence I clicked on it). I never considered that there would be a morgue on board. I always figured if someone died, they would have the local medics take the body to their morgue - like when someone very ill is sent to the local hospital - but for some reason I never thought about where they would keep the body should someone die while en route. :rolleyes: Now I know! :)

I read before that in a group of 2,000 to 4,000 people, the chances of one or two deaths aren't too shabby. I heard that the ships actually have a secret code that they announce over the P.A. system... "Bright Start" or something.

So my question is what do they do with all of the bodies?

It is operation Bright Star. Had two emergencies on our Miracle cruise this past Jan. One was a fatal heart attack and the other emergency was not fatal. They have plenty of freezer space in the Galley.:eek: Actually, like others have stated, there is a morgue onboard.

Having been a nurse on a cruise ship I can answer your question factually.

Yes indeed there is a "morgue" or cold storage drawers for bodies. Had to use them several times during my contracts on a ship....even had a passenger that wanted to sit outside and "talk" to her dearly departed as she wanted to continue the cruise as was her husbands' wish.... very sad.... Even tho I have worked on a cruise ship, I still love to cruise, knowing what also goes on below deck and behind the scenes.... ! ;)

So with the experience under you belt perhaps you can futher explain a few things. Does the ships doctor get to make the final call on cause of death?

Are the any medical examiners involved when the ship docks?

Just my 2 cents but it's somewhat like an airplane when someone dies. They always leave the plane or ship alive. It prevents the plane or ship being delayed. But that's how it works in the world I live in.

Just my 2 cents but it's somewhat like an airplane when someone dies. They always leave the plane or ship alive. It prevents the plane or ship being delayed. But that's how it works in the world I live in.

"Aircraft #___________was NOT negatively impacted by this incident".......LOL:D:)

So with the experience under you belt perhaps you can futher explain a few things. Does the ships doctor get to make the final call on cause of death?

Are the any medical examiners involved when the ship docks?

The ships doc would be the only one to make that call onboard but as soon as the ship docks then the Coroner/ME would board and lots of paperwork to follow before the body is taken.

Archived