Shopping in St. Petersburg?

I really want to bring back some great souvenirs from Russia but I'm concerned about how much shopping time is allotted when it is included in an excursion? We're thinking of taking the Peter & Paul Fortress/Church of the Spilled Blood tour, and know that the Souvenir Market is close by. (I'm personally interested in fur hats, scarves, and matryoshka dolls.) But I want an unhurried experience rather than be pushed to shop quickly.

Also, is there shopping available near where our ship is docked if we have time on our hands, and just want to shop? Or will we not be allowed to since that would not be an official excursion and might require a visa?

If anyone has had past experience regarding the shopping experience in St. Petersburg, I would greatly appreciate any insight!

Thank you! Sue (Sousaphone)

HI Sue,

It does not sound like you have booked an independent tour company so it may be difficult to answer your question. I just got off the Journey's June 6th cruise which included St. Petersburg. Our tour guide from SPB tours was sure to arrange shopping for us. There is no shopping near where the ship docks as it is not near the center of town.

Also, there is no transport into town unless you are on a tour. If you are on the ship's tour I can't say how much time if any time is allotted for shopping.

I will be glad to answer further questions if you email me at afenster2@cox.net

Several years ago my friend and I went to St. Petersburg..we wanted time on our own. We bit the bullet and got our own visas..we were SO glad we did! We took the ships tour and then when they went to the Church on Spilled Blood we had already told them we were staying in town and not going back with them. We walked to that market which is wonderful, we went into a bank and bought Rubles..one quite near that church...walked around, and then down the main shopping street..can't remember its name, and found an art market set up and wandered in there. I bought a lovely painting..oil..for about $20..which I treasure. Then later on we got a taxi and went back to the ship. I had asked someone on the ship to please write out the name of the dock and ship in Russian so we could get a taxi to get back. I learned a few numbers and thank you and that took us far! That was a wonderful day..we felt SO free in Russia where years ago we couldn't have done this!!! Just be sure you have the dock etc in Cyrillic so the taxi can read it! When buying things I would say a number, they would say a higher number and I would go midway. I got it..did that with the taxi, too..I started at the equivalent of $5 US. There are some souvenirs in the dock area that you are permitted to go in. Sherry

I will say this..the souvenirs are not cheap! In that market near the Church on Spilled Blood I paid close to $50 for a carved and painted wooden Saint Nick..however he is gorgeous..if you are serious about your shopping I would get about $100 - $150 US into Rubles. I learned how to say "small bills" in Russian so I would not be stuck with large bills when I wanted to negotiate. That market has the best items that we saw anyplace. There are Christmas ornaments of wood with men and women holding things that are exquisite. And, little "dolls" in Russian dress for the tree. Of course the Matastroiuska (sp?) dolls. I did get some liquoure glasses at the shop right off the boat and wish I had bought an amber necklace there. Some of the places do take credit cards. Bank of America will sell you foreign currency and you can ask for small bills. be sure to save some for your taxi back!! Sherry

Fur hats..when you are stopped someplace for a tour..like the Hermitage there are vendors all over with fur hats (also in Helsinki in the main square) They also sell "army" hats with medals all over them and were a great gift for an 8 year old boy! The tourist shops they take you to are Ok but I liked that market the best!

I just read the previous posting about staying in SPB and shopping then taking a taxi back to the ship. Please be advised that this requires a Visa, if you are on a private tour or ship tour, the tour ticket is your visa and you must always be in the company of the tour except under certain circumstances. Also when buying Russian goods be sure to make sure they are really hand painted and not digital. We were told that the reputable stores have magnifying classes so that you can see if they are digital. When we were taken into a souvenir shop they did in fact have magnifying glasses on the shelves with the hand painted goods.

Just like shopping everywhere else, you must be extra cautious when shopping at the markets in St. Petersburg. The last time I was there ( 6 years ago) many of the items, from dolls to lacquer boxes and the fur goods were mass produced and there was no country of manufacture on any item I saw. Really fine crafts will be signed and not available in the markets. I would be doubly suspicious of the fur hats.

I'll be glad to post further observations after our Baltic cruise returns in August.

Fur hats..when you are stopped someplace for a tour..like the Hermitage there are vendors all over with fur hats (also in Helsinki in the main square) They also sell "army" hats with medals all over them and were a great gift for an 8 year old boy! The tourist shops they take you to are Ok but I liked that market the best!

Do you remember the range of prices for the fur hats? I don't want a cheap hat, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg either.

We were in St. Petersburg for two days and a small group of us bought a two day package from Den Rus and one of the modifications was an hour or so the open market near the Church of Spilled Blood. We got excellent value and excellent service from Den Rus. :)

If you leave the tour guide and return on your own you need a visa. But some people did it and the Russian immigration who checked your papers before letting you back on the ship did not know if a taxi had dropped them off or if a private tour operator had dropped them off. But we were afraid to try such and you should be also.

If you do not ask for the open market, most tours will take you to Souvenir Shops with whom they have received what we would call a "kick back" for bringing the group there. "Kick backs" and "bribes" are a way of life in Russia.

Also there are (or were in 2008) certain places that are "not approved" for guided tours to visit. On the way back from Peterhof we asked the guide to make a brief stop at a typical grocery store - supermarket such as utilized by the common people. We were told that if they took us to places not on the approved list that the tour guide could loose her license. :mad: The open market and the bank must have been approved places.

Archived