What do you think is the main role of a CD

bigboy1955

I'm more interested in the stuff they do behind the scenes. Like the activities on a cruise. If you're bored on your cruise due to a lack of activities? Its because of the CD. If you have a hard time deciding what you want to do because theres so many choices? Its because of the CD. IMO, that's their main role. That's what makes a cruise director great, good, or bad. IMO of course. I was recently reading Celebrat's last cruise review and I couldn't believed how many different activities were offered on her ship! I need to find out the name of her CD and sail with him lol!

The jokes they tell before each show and stuff are cool, but its all the same. I don't care to see the CD all that often, I just want him to make sure that ALL guests are occupied and have something to do. Whether it be those that love to lay in the sun and fall asleep, or those that are more active and like scavenger hunts, sports tournaments, etc.

I think it really ends up being subjective - we sailed with Todd twice and really liked him a lot. Earlier in this thread there's a post from elaineb about Jorge Solano being a great CD - but on another thread you'll find someone who was thinking about canceling a cruise because Jorge is scheduled to be the CD! Like the car disclaimer says - your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't book a cruise for a CD, likewise I wouldn't not cruise because of a CD. I expect a CD to plan good activities, make sure the folks under him/her are hosting activities on time (have you ever sat around waiting for a social host to arrive for an activity?) and give a sense of "camaraderie" to a cruise. I don't mind announcements during the day - I understand they're supposed to encourage people to patronize the shops, bingo, etc. - but my ideal is when the CD has a morning announcement (before whatever the morning talk is - shopping, excursions, debarkation), an afternoon announcement for afternoon activities, and an announcement in the evening. That's it - not an announcement every hour or two.

I agree about Todd. We had him on the Dream and found him to be entertaining and funny, especially when Al Erntz came on one night and interrupted a talk and they went back and forth ad lib for about 20 minutes. He was very helpful to me and went out of his way to do it. I've reported on the boards about that before.

I liked Butch, too.

I would never cruise for the CD but they can really add or take away from the fun. The other CDs are apparently unmemorable to me as I cannot remember another one.

I personally think the CD is more of a manager and organizer than an entertainer or featured personality. To me their main jobs are PR with the guests on occasion, setting up activities, coordinating entertainment for the guests and problem-solving liason for the cruiseline when guests have issues.

Archived