thomson celebration 19th july Istanbul etc

hi

doing the following cruise Ottomen Treasures on the 19th july.

here are the ports of call can anyone give me information on how close the ports are to the towns, if there are beaches and if they require taxis or within walking distance.

any tips on the ports from you people out there who have been

here goes

Marmaris

Istanbul

Canakkale

Kusadasi

Thira* - SANTORINI

Rhodes Town

many thanks

les

we are do the same trip as you but in August. However we did a very similar itinerary last year so know some of the ports. Best advise would be to make use of all the info available on the Net. We did everywhere totaly DIY last year, explored everyport just from prior research. However I can tell you that:

Istanbul is a doddle to do on your own. Get out of the ship, walk to the tram (5 mins), travel to the main sites : Blue Mosque, Topkapi etc, just 10 mins on the tram, lunch, walk back to ship accross the bridge, stopping for a beer on the way - fabulous place !

Rhodes : Ship docks right in the town, walk 5 mins into old city, explore - or catch a local bus down to Lindos/Acropolis, 1 hr ish.

Kusadasi : Most will head into Ephesus, taxis readily available and eager to take your money, or arrange a trip in advance via the interent. We had already done Ephesus on previous trips, so chose to spend the day chilling out on the beach. Again, ship docks in town, plenty to do wandering around the bazaar, haggling along the way, or like us jump on a dolmus (mini bus) 5 mins along to the nearest beach.

Santorini : This will normally be a tender. Arrive at the bottom of the cliff and then it's either up via cable car or donkey to the town. Here you can wander about the shops/bars or do as we did and go to the bus station to head of to the picturesque town of OIA (20 mins).

Cannakale : although we sailed past we have never actually stopped, so this will be a new one to us.

Marmaris : This will be our 1st visit back to Marmaris is 20 years, so much looking forward to exploring again.

Of course you can spend your money on ships tours, but in my mind it's much more fun researching and doing your own thing.

best advise is to have fun. :)

We sailed on Celebration in May although your itinary is a bit differnt, we didn't do Santorini or Rhodes.

Kusadassi we did the trip with thompsons half day Ephesus, best day of the cruise, the tour guide was brilliant, a lot went over my head he was so informative, my opinion money well spent. Ephesus was briliant, been waiting to do that trip for a while. loved it !

As already mentioned Istanbul DIY but don't take the taxis way over priced..

Don't think Marmaris is far from dock......that should be easy, all the bars and restuarnats lined along the beach front, if my memory serves me right, not been for a couple of years......quite loud and in your face place....

Canakkale, we didn't get off but think brother got off and had a walk but nothing around locally i seem to remember.

It was our first ever cruise and we loved it....

Enjoy

Taffy

I would agree with all the advice already given.

Istanbul - it's easy to get into the main tourist sites on the tram - you can even walk - you can see the ships in dock round from the Galata Bridge from where the 'big' attractions are to be found. But it's tiring as there is so much to see so it's best saving a bit of energy and going in on the tram. Buy your tokens (you'll need Turkish Lira for this) before you get on the tram. You also need local currency for State sites like the Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace.

Yes, Marmaris is easy to DiY - you just walk through the Marina (there are some HUGE yachts here!) and along the prom as far as you want to go. You can keep going into Icmeler if you wish but we didn't get that far although I understand it's lovely. There are plenty of waterfont cafes with soft upholstery for a refreshment stop. Of course there is a bazaar with 'genuine fakes'! But Istanbul is much better value especially in the streets just outside the Grand Bazaar.

I agree that Oia is the place to go on Santorini - fabulous. We went on the ship's trip but I'd try Figgywig's advice and take the local bus another time.

Kusadasi is small, clean, quite attractive (with another bazaar) but there's not an awful lot there - nice for a potter and drink but probably not a day's worth of interest. I'd recommend the Ephesus trip - we thought it was well worth it.

Cannakale isn't fantastic. They have the horse from the film 'Troy' on the waterfront and a model of Ancient Troy. You can walk along the harbour side but it didn't seem to be geared to tourists in the same way that the other destinations were. We were berthed outside of the town too and had to catch the shuttle into the centre (can't rememeber whether we had to pay for this or not). Basically we felt it hadn't a great deal to offer and would go on a trip if we were to go there again.

Have a great trip!:)

Hi again les,

We're going to Kusadasi again next year and after writing my previous post to you, I did a bit more research wondering what we'd do on our return visit! Anyway, there seems to be a bit more around than I clocked on our last visit. There are beaches in the vicinity (not sure how good they are but a Kusadasi tourist site will tell you that or other forum members) and Pigeon Island looks quite interesting. I think we'll walk to it next time and explore. Apparently there are cafes over there too so perhaps a pleasant refreshment stop. Thought on re-reading my earlier post I hadn't perhaps been very fair to Kusadasi! Perhaps others who have explored more of Kusadasi (we only had a short time after our Ephesus trip) will be able to give us both some more info. :)

Figgywig and Kruzseeker,

After your adivise ill probably dander and into Istanbull But.

Is the trams at the port in Istanbull numbered, or with destination on the front.

Hope its nothing mad like the london underground.

Let me know please

Thanks

I don't know for certain but I think the trams just go left or right if you see what I mean, and run down the centre of the road. So as long as you are going in the right direction then the attractions are easy to find. I'm sure with the ships behind you, you just want to head left. Look above the doors inside and you will see all the stops along with the attractions, much like our London Underground.

Figgywig and Kruzseeker,

After your adivise ill probably dander and into Istanbull But.

Is the trams at the port in Istanbull numbered, or with destination on the front.

Hope its nothing mad like the london underground.

Let me know please

Thanks

Hi Budgie1

We're doing Istanbul independently next week and we have had some good advice on here. We bought an AA City Guide for Istanbul from Amazon last week for £3.70 pp free and it's great. Small, with a seperate map and tram and train map. Well worth it, a great little buy. (I don't work for them by the way, lol):):)

Jan

Where does the ship dock in Istanbul, I am going in september and might as well start planning now.

Find the Galata Bridge over the Golden Horn on Google Earth. The ships berth just on the bend of the Golden Horn as it joins with the Bosphorus on the opposite side to the main tourist sites (Topkapi, Hagia Sophia, Bazaar etc). These are on the southern side of the Golden Horn - you cross the Bridge and turn right. Unfortunately on my version of Goggle Earth there aren't any cruise ships in view - sod's law! - but if you click on some of the photo icons just on the bend, one of the Aida ships is in and another photo shows three large ships docked. You can actually see the ships from the tourist area so although it's a fair walk, your destination is in sight on the return. Always reassuring!

I think the tram is a loop - it approaches from your right as you meet the main road outside the port area and travelling left, over the bridge and round by the Hagia Sophia and then the Bazaar then back from whence it came. But do check that out - although we travelled in on the tram we wanted to walk over/under the Galata Br (it's an unusual sort of bridge!) so having once got onto the dock side of the bridge just kept going so we never actually caught the tram back. (Have a look at the floating take-aways on the tourist side of the bridge on the opposite side from the bosphorus - quite entertaining especially in the choppy waters!)

EKCO,

You can give me a run down of your DIY's when you get back. Dont go until 5th July. So would appreciate a DIY passengers guide.

Thanks mate

Ooh! Don't get called 'mate' very often, lol. A bit butch for me ;). Unfortunately we're not back until 5th July but if you get the guide, check out Google Earth and read Kruzseekers (and others) advice you can't go wrong. The only thing I could do with finding out is what the admission charges are likely to be.:):)

Has anyone been to Troy? We were dead set on going there but are having serious doubts after looking at the guide book and reading good reports on here about Gallipoli.:)

Jan

Ooh! Don't get called 'mate' very often, lol. A bit butch for me ;). Unfortunately we're not back until 5th July but if you get the guide, check out Google Earth and read Kruzseekers (and others) advice you can't go wrong. The only thing I could do with finding out is what the admission charges are likely to be.:):)

Has anyone been to Troy? We were dead set on going there but are having serious doubts after looking at the guide book and reading good reports on here about Gallipoli.:)

Jan

Admission charges for what, Jan? If it's in Istanbul I can probably find some for you - I think I can remember but I'll check to be sure if you're interested. (These would be as of October last year.) Not been to Troy so can't help with that one.

re: admission charges - as I recall you could just wander into the Blue Mosque (providing you are suitably attired etc.. and there is a chppy onthe door ensuring you are) - I don't think there was any charge or if there was it wasnt a lot.

The Cistern Basilica - well worth a visit - just for the 'unusual-ness' of it all - look it up, a really strange place to be in considering you are right in the middle of a really hectic city - again can't remember the actual costs, but not a whole lot

One thing I would say though is be wary of Topkapi and the prices you pay. You pay an admission fee at the main entrance which wasnt cheap, sorry - can't remember the exact costs (not much good at this am I :D:confused:) But what I do remember is once you've paid this and are through into the grounds, you are then faced with another charge if you want to gain entrance into the Hareem - which is where most people want to see !

We didnt visit Hagia Sohia. To be honest, given the time we were in port - and we stopped overnight, we would have struggled to see very much more. Going to concentrate on the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market this time ... any tips out there ??

Thanks for that Figgywig, very helpful. That just about covers the things we want to see. Don't want to overdo it by trying to cover too much, although there is a mosaic museum close by the sights which I'd like to try and see. We'll have to be up early and off the ship before it gets too busy so no carousing the night before, lol.:D:D

Jan

re: admission charges - as I recall you could just wander into the Blue Mosque (providing you are suitably attired etc.. and there is a chppy onthe door ensuring you are) - I don't think there was any charge or if there was it wasnt a lot.

The Cistern Basilica - well worth a visit - just for the 'unusual-ness' of it all - look it up, a really strange place to be in considering you are right in the middle of a really hectic city - again can't remember the actual costs, but not a whole lot

One thing I would say though is be wary of Topkapi and the prices you pay. You pay an admission fee at the main entrance which wasnt cheap, sorry - can't remember the exact costs (not much good at this am I :D:confused:) But what I do remember is once you've paid this and are through into the grounds, you are then faced with another charge if you want to gain entrance into the Hareem - which is where most people want to see !

We didnt visit Hagia Sohia. To be honest, given the time we were in port - and we stopped overnight, we would have struggled to see very much more. Going to concentrate on the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market this time ... any tips out there ??

Hi figgywig,

Yes, you're right about the Blue Mosque being free and the additional charge in Topkapi but I must say the Harem was the most impressive bit - but they have you over a barrel once you get in if you want to see it - you have to pay again! This is what I posted just after we got back:

For information: Entrance to the Topkapi Palace was 20TL plus an extra 15TL p.p. for the Harem (don't miss out on this - it's the best bit)

Hagia Sophiaw as also 20TL and the Cisterns 15TL.

Our friends did the Cisterns and thought it was very good - I was a bit under-whelmed by Hagia Sophia to be honest although I've read about it being THE attraction to see in Istanbul.

Someone told me that the Dolbamahce Palace is stunning and I've read that the balustrade of the staircase is made from crystal! I think we'd try to go there another time - but it's in the opposite direction from the other sites of interest - you would have to turn right out of the port. You can see the Palace on the waterfront as you approach the berth (coming from the Black Sea end). It may be worth researching - and if you can get the tram into the Bazaar afterwards, it might be doable - but I don't know as we haven't tried it ourselves. Here is a link I found but there may be more informative ones.

http://www.istanbul-travel.net/dolmabahce-palace.html

But don't miss out on the Bazaar - it's great. The Spice Market is smaller than I expected but very colourful and much more packed than the Grand Bazaar. The prices for drinks in the cafes in the Bazaar were more expensive than the cafes outside (captive audience!) and we found the local shops just outside the Bazaar (couldn't tell you which entrance though! :confused:) were very much better value - they have stalls outside the shops and it's quite a scrum but there are some bargains here. You must make sure you've got enough time to do it justice, figgywig! ;)

Thanks for that Kruzseeker. Does anyone know if the admission charges are included in the excursions? and if so would that include the Harem or would it be paid for seperately? Just trying to weigh things up now, a bit late in the day, lol.:D:D

Jan

Hi Jan

According to my destinations guide, there was only one excursion which went to the Topkapi Palace (also the Blue Mosque - but that's free remember). It also gives you some shopping time (also free!). The cost was £36 and it was a half-day (4.5 hrs) trip. It describes going into the Topkapi but DOESN'T say whether the Harem is included - but I would expect admission into the Palace (20TL) would be included in the trip cost. Perhaps the Harem isn't included as it's not specially mentioned or perhaps they give you time to do that as an optional extra whilst there. I don't know. It would be worth quizzing the destinations team about it before you booked.

It would cost you £17.50 for the Topkapi + Harem (20TL + 15TL at about 2 lira to the pound) and I think it might have been 1.5TL each way on the tram so another £1.50 for what's included in the tour as everything else is free. (All based on last year's prices.) You haven't got the benefit of the guide though and you would have transport into the centre to save you making your own way there. But there is no doubt it is much cheaper with a DiY approach and you will be able to go at your own speed - and stay as long as you want to. I'd definitely go independently at this destination - it may seem a bit daunting but once you're there and see the layout it's pretty straight-forward.

Thanks Kruzseeker, that's made things a lot clearer and it's good to know approx. how much cash we need to take out with us. I agree with you that it's best to go independently. We would need the full day trip and wasting time going back to the ship for lunch would cut into the time there. We can grab something on the hoof while we're en-route from A to B. If we start out at 8.00am we should have enough time to see quite a lot (footache allowing, lol). The Dolmabahce Palace looks good and it's always nice to leave something worth returning for, so next time we go that'll be on the list.:):)

Jan

Just found this map which gives you a very clear idea of where the major attractions are in relation to one another. They've even conveniently put a couple of cruise ships in - just sitting off the berthing points!

http://www.tylersterritory.com/travel/europe/turkey/istanbul/map_istanbul.html

I like it!!:) Pictures, that's my kind of map. Thanks Kruzseeker.:):)

Jan

Find the Galata Bridge over the Golden Horn on Google Earth. The ships berth just on the bend of the Golden Horn as it joins with the Bosphorus on the opposite side to the main tourist sites (Topkapi, Hagia Sophia, Bazaar etc). These are on the southern side of the Golden Horn - you cross the Bridge and turn right. Unfortunately on my version of Goggle Earth there aren't any cruise ships in view - sod's law! - but if you click on some of the photo icons just on the bend, one of the Aida ships is in and another photo shows three large ships docked. You can actually see the ships from the tourist area so although it's a fair walk, your destination is in sight on the return. Always reassuring!

I think the tram is a loop - it approaches from your right as you meet the main road outside the port area and travelling left, over the bridge and round by the Hagia Sophia and then the Bazaar then back from whence it came. But do check that out - although we travelled in on the tram we wanted to walk over/under the Galata Br (it's an unusual sort of bridge!) so having once got onto the dock side of the bridge just kept going so we never actually caught the tram back. (Have a look at the floating take-aways on the tourist side of the bridge on the opposite side from the bosphorus - quite entertaining especially in the choppy waters!)

Thanks, now I just need a phrasebook and that little guide to the city.

Thanks, now I just need a phrasebook and that little guide to the city.

Full title of the book. Istanbul AA City Pack Guide & Foldout Map, Amazon £3.70 pp free. Ordered Monday and arrived Friday last week.:):) I also got a twin pack off ebay, Western Turkey and Southern Turkey but you can get either one with a phrase book, AA Pocket Guides 2 of £6.50 pp free from w23books but there are other sellers. They came within 3 days and were very well packed.

Jan

Back to Ships tours vs DIY - I'm sure I recall reading that you can take forever and a day to get through the traffic on a ship's coach as opposed to a 30 min stroll or a 10 min tram ride... just a thought !

Back to Ships tours vs DIY - I'm sure I recall reading that you can take forever and a day to get through the traffic on a ship's coach as opposed to a 30 min stroll or a 10 min tram ride... just a thought !

I've heard that too. Someone posted that it was only a quick 15 minute walk into Istanbul across the bridge. Depends how hot it is I think, if it's not humid we'll be OK.

Dithering about Canakkale now. We were set on Troy but looking in the guide book it looks a little dull and the trip only stops there for 30/45 minutes which doesn't say much for it. Also the wooden horse is a modern one as they don't know what the original, if there ever was one, was like. Gallipoli at £52 is getting a bit pricey, dither, dither!! and they don't go to the British part at Helles.:eek::eek:

Jan

Archived