Disembarkation "rules"?

macdaman

Will be cruising on Millie this August and am a first time cruiser. I've a few questions on disembarkation.

1) Will breakfast be served or can you order room service the morning of disembarkation?

2) How long can you stay in your room before you're kicked out?

3) Once kicked out of your room, where might one go to further relax and wait for the crowd to thin out? Will food or refreshments be available in any part of the ship? Are bathrooms open and stocked?

My group will be in absolutely NO hurry to get off the ship. As it is, we're already going to be killing several hours in Seward, AK waiting for the train to Anchorage. One of our group will be in a wheelchair if that matters at all.

Thanks to the site and all who answer questions. This has been a great resource.

Generally room service does not operate that last day. You can eat in the MDR or buffet. Check for the hours of operation. Often while you are at breakfast the cabin attendant will start to strip the bed and clean the cabin. After breakfast you can stay in the cabin for an hour or so. The attendant will want you out so he can start getting it ready for the next cruise. He may not kick you out but I think it's the right thing to do.

You will be able to sit in a lounge or buffet area for awhile after you leave the cabin. Food service will be cut off at some point. Public bathrooms will be functional.

We were on Millie last month and also didn't need to disembark early.

*There is no room service (nor butler service) after midnight (or 2am, I can't remember which) on the last day.

*Only the buffet was open for breakfast. It opened early and closed at 8am. *We had to be completely out of our room by 8am, but didn't muster until 9:20.

*I couldn't find any food or even coffee after 8am, except for specialty coffees in the Cova cafe, where I had to pay. It would have been nice for a coffee/tea set up for people having to wait, but there was nothing.

*Bathrooms were open until we disembarked.

*We had a suite and our fruit was removed and the mini-bar frig was locked while we were at dinner the previous night. If I go again, I will hide some fruit for the next morning!

My impression was that disembarkation is set up for the convenience of the crew - getting the ship turned over as quickly as possible for the next cruise. If you didn't use Celebrity to transport you to Anchorage, there wasn't much information or assistance. I had asked the concierge how we could get our bags to the train station or where they could be stored for our 6pm trip (we were willing to pay), but they "had no information". It was actually pretty easy, there's a free shuttle in Seward (or a short 1/4 mile walk) and the train station was happy to let us check our bags in at 10am when they opened. We couldn't use the luggage valet program because our flight from Anchorage wasn't leaving until the next day. I will say that when it was our time to disembark, it was pretty quick. Just walked right off and easily found our bags.

We actually really enjoyed our cruise, the end was just sort of a jolt to us new cruisers after days of sleeping in and having more to eat than we could handle. My last day of vacation is as important to me as my first so it would be nice if the experience could be more "user-friendly".

1. Only breakfast in the buffet

2. You will need to be out of your cabin, and in your assigned gathering place, usually no later than 8 to 8:30.

3. If you're Elite or in the biggest suites, you meet in the specialty restaurant and they have a continental breakfast in there. If you're assigned to any other spot, there's no food, but the bathrooms will be operational.

Archived