Mediterranean Discovery 1st July

mrsloopylou

Hi Everyone :)

We have just booked the above cruise ! so after a little advise etc, we have only cruised with OV in the past, but there wasnt a cruise available for the days we could travel, so booked this one.

So any advice regarding this ship, itenary, do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated :)

Read a few very bad reviews, so a little concerned, we have been very happy on OV and was told this ship was similar ?

Ports of call are

Palma

Villefranche

Carrara

Rome

Propriano

Mahon

Looking forward to loads of advice ( plz dont say cancel !!!! )

Helen

Hi,Helen-like you we are cruising on the IE for the first time come July-but are doing a cruise the week earlier than you are starting at Palma-but like us going by in general viewing it's a good ship and will be enjoyable,although comoared to the ship we were on last year the IE will be half the size of the MSC LIRICA.-so things will be a little different,still

can't wait and besides it's a BRITISH dominated ship (the LIRICA was mainly Italian speaking!)Anyway just sit back and relax and enjoy!!!!!-Dave

Hi mrsloopyloo. I would advise you to go to the review section and check out the reviews by Berwyn and myself. You will find some bad reviews on there but please bear in mind that at the time there was terrible weather just after Christmas, such as in Madeira, and there was a outbreak of Norovirus of which there was no sign when we travelled in March. Good luck.:):)

Jan

Thanks for that, will pop over and have a look ! were arnt expecting too much as we didnt pay a fortune £1,000 on deck 9, not sure if thats a good deal or not ! but we was happy with it.

Seems there is a little less with this cruise than OV, little things like tea/coffee/biscuit tray. hair dryers, free safe, but nothing that we can moan about too much !!

Im hoping the weathe will be good and the ship steady as i can get a little travel sick ! gone for an iside cabin, midship, so hoping i will be ok.

Would love to hear from anyone going on the same date, cant find roll call for this cruise, i may well be blind though ! we found it better to get together with a group for some trips last year, cheaper than going with their trips !

Helen

Thanks for that, will pop over and have a look ! were arnt expecting too much as we didnt pay a fortune £1,000 on deck 9, not sure if thats a good deal or not ! but we was happy with it.

Seems there is a little less with this cruise than OV, little things like tea/coffee/biscuit tray. hair dryers, free safe, but nothing that we can moan about too much !!

Im hoping the weathe will be good and the ship steady as i can get a little travel sick ! gone for an iside cabin, midship, so hoping i will be ok.

Would love to hear from anyone going on the same date, cant find roll call for this cruise, i may well be blind though ! we found it better to get together with a group for some trips last year, cheaper than going with their trips !

Helen

Hi Helen

Don't forget to take Stugeron with you for the travel sickness or those wrist bands, in Poundworld or Poundland. They worked for DH and the Stugeron worked for me but I think it's best if you lie horizontally for an hour and not walk about.

We had a great time, she might be a little old but it was really friendly on there.:):)

Jan

Hi Helen,

you can find Jan's review here, the 3rd one down. "Dive in and try."

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=359

And mine is here

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=61276

We've been twice and love the old ship.

Last time in Dec. We took our sons in their 20's last time on their 1st cruise and they loved it.

We'd go again in a shot.

You will find she's an older ship than the OV ones. But she has a great atmosphere, the Thomson's staff are fantastic and the entertainment team under Ross Roberts are great.

Ports.

Rome.

We did Rome with a ship's excursion as it takes about an hour and a half to get there.

Villefranche.

It is a lovely little town. The main reason for stopping is to see either Nice or Monaco / Monte Carlo. You can do both of these on your own by train.

The station is along the promenade to the right as you get off the ship's tender and it's only 10 minutes by train. We did a ship's excursion as we'd not been before and though it was good we could have done it ourselves quicker and easier.

If you want to stay in Villefranche they have a beautiful house open to the public, the Villa Ephrussi.

http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/ephrussi/

I can't help with the others as I've not been.

Berwyn

RR on here's the expert though he's been loads of times and is off again soon.

It's a wild rumour :D

Berwyn, I'm at work at the moment? can you find the link I put all the postive reports please. Its ok Found it Click Here

9 day and counting for 2 weeks of bliss :p

I think I found it about the same time as you :D

Don't tell me you learned nothing good about the ship having been so many times, or you wouldn't be off on her again.

Berwyn

Hi Helen, my daughter and I will be on the same cruise as you and we are looking forward to it - we thought we would do a ship's excursion for Rome and then wing it everywhere else, although I quite fancy wine tasting in Carrara but don't think number 1 daughter is too impressed with that idea. We too have been on the OV and really enjoyed her. We paid a very fair price for a holiday out of Glasgow the first week in July (start of school holidays up here) and I am just looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the trip!

although I quite fancy wine tasting in Carrara but don't think number 1 daughter is too impressed with that idea.

Hi,

We did the Taste Of Tuscany wine tasting when the Dream called in Florence in April.

It was the best wine tasting we've ever done and a relaxing afternoon too.

they put 3 different wines on the table, plus water and we had olives, bread, salamis and bread with olive oil on to accompany it.

They also had a stronger red for you to taste, about 19%, but you had to get up and they dished it out to you. It was quite a party atmosphere.

Berwyn

Hi Helen, my daughter and I will be on the same cruise as you and we are looking forward to it - we thought we would do a ship's excursion for Rome and then wing it everywhere else, although I quite fancy wine tasting in Carrara but don't think number 1 daughter is too impressed with that idea. We too have been on the OV and really enjoyed her. We paid a very fair price for a holiday out of Glasgow the first week in July (start of school holidays up here) and I am just looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the trip!

Oh im glad were arn't the only ones going ! we too really enjoyed the OV cruise, and looking forward to seeing this area of the med. Im sure if we had waited we would of got an even better deal, but other half wanted it booked as i couldnt make my mine up, we had planned to go to Turkey, and then the lady in shop pointed out that the ship was showing every football match !! so the cruise was booked lol

Hi mrsloopylou

We are on with you on the 1st July too. Flying from Luton.

First time on the Island Escape but 8th cruise with Thomson. Have had a fabulous time every time and we are really looking forward to it. We are not into all the dressing up so this should suit us down to the ground.

We both like football too so will watch the evening matches, will be off exploring during the day.

Janet:)

Oh no, not in the cabins aswell !!! i shall have to pay the cabin boy to damage it lol im going away on holiday

NOT to watch football, although DH has other ideas, already told him it will cost him alot in wine to keep me happy if the footy is on alot :eek:

Be good to meet up with some of you that are on our cruise, were flying from Gatwick at 5.30pm on my birthday .............. all day travelling :(

Oh wish i was on AI ;) but as we booked so late ( 4 days ago ) AI was a stupid price ! £379 for a week for both of us, not paying that !!

So i will be very sober , mind you saying that ive told OH i want a bottle of fizzy on plane to make up for having to watch the footy ;) so if you see someone wobbling all over the place it may well be me :D

Any idea who long it takes once you get off plane in Palma until you get on board ? like to think we would be on there by 9pm so i can have a meal and a wee drinky in the bar ( or 2 ! )

Manage to sneak a box of wine onto OV in suitcase, so may try that again !!! one can but try :eek:

Helen

Archived