Mediterranean Discovery 1st July

mrsloopylou

Oh wish i was on AI ;) but as we booked so late ( 4 days ago ) AI was a stupid price ! £379 for a week for both of us, not paying that !!

Helen

Hi Helen,

I priced up the difference with booking early and getting "Free" A.I. and booking late like you and paying for drinks and there was not much in it.

The cost of the drinks are reasonable so you won't have to go dry.

Berwyn

Thats good to know ! i dont think we got a bad deal, but im sure if we had left it later we could of got it cheaper, but i was after a certain cabin, and there wasnt many midship cabins left, dont think id want to be at either the front or back as i do suffer from travel sickness a little, only suffered last time on the outward and return journney when the captain put his foot down a little to get there and back ! must admit im a little worried as i have read she moves a bit more than larger ships:(

Thats good to know ! i dont think we got a bad deal, but im sure if we had left it later we could of got it cheaper, but i was after a certain cabin, and there wasnt many midship cabins left, dont think id want to be at either the front or back as i do suffer from travel sickness a little, only suffered last time on the outward and return journney when the captain put his foot down a little to get there and back ! must admit im a little worried as i have read she moves a bit more than larger ships:(

She's not that bad Helen,

Especially in the Med.

DW was worried the 1st time as she'd never cruised before but loved it.

You could feel her going up and down with the swell in the Atlantic in December though.

Berwyn

:eek: oh really ? i prefer mill pond days !! hence why we booked caribbean last january which was fine, we was going to do the canaries this xmas just gone, but i read some reviews on here about how much the old girl was swaying about and thought.............. na !! so ended up on cheap deal to maldives instead ! very calm there :o

:eek: oh really ? i prefer mill pond days !! hence why we booked caribbean last january which was fine, we was going to do the canaries this xmas just gone, but i read some reviews on here about how much the old girl was swaying about and thought.............. na !! so ended up on cheap deal to maldives instead ! very calm there :o

Ske's OK Helen, unless you get bad weather and they all rock about then anyway.

Berwyn

Thats good, if its not smooth in July i dont know when it would be ! i shall take some sea sickness stuff just incase, i can always blame the drink for the ship swaying ;)

Any other tips on what to take or not to take ?

Thats good, if its not smooth in July i dont know when it would be ! i shall take some sea sickness stuff just incase, i can always blame the drink for the ship swaying ;)

Hi Helen,

You'll need the U.S. style flat pin adaptors for anything electrical you have.

We also take the bank of 4 sockets to charge up our electrical stuff so we can charge up multiple things at once.

it's really not much different from a hotel holiday abroad except your hotel moves in the night and you wake up in a new place.

As it's a casual ship you won't need any dressy clothes for the evening, unless you want to. Saying that we actually saw a Scotsman in a dinner jacket and kilt aboard last time. Leaves more room for your swimming costumes if you're into sunbathing.

Elastic waistbands are good :D

Some people asked what DW was wearing for the evenings when we went in 2008, you can see pics here if you want. Most of the pics of her are on page 3 of the album.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/Island%20Escape%20April%202008%20Med/?start=40

Berwyn

Hi, pop over to the Thomson forum and have a look at '5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise' started by .. ooh!! me!! There's loads of great tips on there.:):)

Jan

Just caught up with all the posts - not been on computer for a few days. Our tickets are here and we are flying out at 6.30am so we will be there by lunchtime. We also booked too late for the AI but I am sure we will manage to enjoy ourselves just the same. Thanks for the tip about the wine tasting it sounds just exactly what I like... 1 question - we have not been allocated a cabin yet - can you upgrade once you arrive if you don't like the cabin or are you stuck? I am sure we will be fine as I am not bothered whether we are mid ship or not - although I know it makes a difference if the sailing is rough but hopefully in July it should be ok. I am definitely not a football fan so I hope there will be areas in the ship which are football free at night and there's something else on the TV in the cabin. 2 weeks to go and we will be sailing out of Palma - cannot wait.

Just caught up with all the posts - not been on computer for a few days. Our tickets are here and we are flying out at 6.30am so we will be there by lunchtime. We also booked too late for the AI but I am sure we will manage to enjoy ourselves just the same. Thanks for the tip about the wine tasting it sounds just exactly what I like... 1 question - we have not been allocated a cabin yet - can you upgrade once you arrive if you don't like the cabin or are you stuck? I am sure we will be fine as I am not bothered whether we are mid ship or not - although I know it makes a difference if the sailing is rough but hopefully in July it should be ok. I am definitely not a football fan so I hope there will be areas in the ship which are football free at night and there's something else on the TV in the cabin. 2 weeks to go and we will be sailing out of Palma - cannot wait.

Hi jmc27, I've heard from RR I think that the footie is on the cabin TV as well as the Bounty Lounge but there are plenty of other bars to go to so it shouldn't interfere with your holiday. I would think that there will be very few games left by the time you go anyway. When we were on the IE in March there were no upgrades onboard, although I did hear a very snooty man on the coach back to the airport boasting about not liking this and that about his cabin and being offered other cabins, finally settling on a newly refitted cabin. Alright for some. A good tip if you have an inside cabin is to leave the ship's camera on when you go to bed then you will know when it gets light in the morning. The TV is very dull but you're not in your cabin very much to bother with it, much better things to do around the ship. Cafe Brasil make a very nice cappuccino if you want to pay for it. We didn't have the AI and didn't spend that much, mainly because we brought wine and spirits onboard when we were in port, they don't bother. They had daily offers of quite good wine in the bar for £12.99 which sounds a lot but we got 4 large drinks out of it. It shouldn't be rough but don't forget to take your travel sickness precautions just in case. You'll be gone by the time we get back so have a great time.:):)

Jan

Oh your be on alot earlier than us !! we dont fly till 5.30pm, mind you i havent got tickets yet, so flight times may well have changed, earlier the better a si dont relly want to spend all of my birthday in an airport and on a plane !!!

Were thinking of booking wine tasting too, sounds like a wonderful setting and a nice relaxing day as some of the other days and excursions are very long, so a chilling day drinking wine sounds just about right !

We have an inside cabin right in the middle on deck 9, we choose to upgrade in the travel agents as it was only £7 each to go from 3/4 up to deck 9, no brainer really ! ive been watching the prices and they are still going up and down, all gatwick flights sold now, so we was lucky to book on sunday as there must of only been a couple of seats left !

Hoping our tickets will be here soon, im due to have an operation on saturday, and hoping the stitches will be out before we sail, have no idea what will happen if they arnt ! any nurses on board this sailing ????

Hoping our tickets will be here soon, im due to have an operation on saturday, and hoping the stitches will be out before we sail, have no idea what will happen if they arnt ! any nurses on board this sailing ????

Sorry Helen won't be aboard to take them out for you. :D

Hopefully they'll put soluble ones in then they'll drop out on their own.

Deck 9 is handy. You can be out the cabin up 1 deck and at the Beachcomber for the grub :D

Berwyn

• 2 weeks later...
Still not got our ticket :eek:

Hi Helen,

we didn't get ours last time till the beginning of the week we went. Never had them so late.

No need to panic though, if worst comes to worst and they don't arrive you can take your paperwork with you and pick them up at the desk at the airport.

Berwyn

Got them ! they were in the bureau de change.... no wonder they could find them in the shop ! cant wait till thursday now, not sorted anything yet, scarey :eek:... get stitches out of my shoulder tomorrow, loads funeral flowers to make, then funeral on wednesday and my birthday on thursday............ cant wait :) might get time to pack somewhere along the line i hope :confused:

Got them ! they were in the bureau de change.... no wonder they could find them in the shop ! cant wait till thursday now, not sorted anything yet, scarey :eek:... get stitches out of my shoulder tomorrow, loads funeral flowers to make, then funeral on wednesday and my birthday on thursday............ cant wait :) might get time to pack somewhere along the line i hope :confused:

It's all go in your house. We didn't sort the stuff out till the day before we went. :eek: and it all got sorted.

take care with that shoulder.

Berwyn

We got our tickets about 3 weeks ago. Been looking through the booklet trying to decide where to visit at each port.

Have more or less packed everything and will weigh cases tonight just to make sure I'm not over the limit. Only problem is that if there is any weight left I will have to put some more stuff in:eek:

Panicking at the moment as my daughter's baby is due on the 15th July, we get back on the 8th but the last one was a month early so I could end up missing it (I'm birthing partner as hubby is currently in Bahrain).Hoping she can hang on till I get home.

Can't wait for Thursday morning.

Janet

Archived