rent or bring your own snorkeling stuff

jhogan44

At the Bahamas GSC island, is it best to book a snorkeling excursion for the $29 or bring your own eqpt? I like that the rental comes with a life jacket but is the waiting line to rent very long? can you do this ahead of time? Thanks for the opinions

At the Bahamas GSC island, is it best to book a snorkeling excursion for the $29 or bring your own eqpt? I like that the rental comes with a life jacket but is the waiting line to rent very long? can you do this ahead of time? Thanks for the opinions

Personal preference. I like knowing that my fins will fit, my mask won't leak and that my snorkel mouthpiece has not been in a few hundred different mouths. The inflatable snorkel vests are quite inexpensive and readily available on-line.

Funny, I was signing in to ask this exact question and it was the first one on the list. Thanks.

My DH snorkeled years ago and says the rental stuff is fine and we are not packing all that stuff. I have never snorkeled and don't want it ruined by poor equipment. I was at Costco yesterday and saw their US Divers set. I would much rather drag along my own. Also like the idea that it is just me that has ever used it.

I've always been an advocate of bringing my own stuff. For many reason such as: general hygiene, fit, history of use. But when I went to Maui in May, I forgot my mask/snorkel. And I'm a diver. Very stupid. And I learned a hard lesson. Nothing worked right. Had to abort a first dive. Got a better mask and was able to do the 2nd dive but couldn't keep that mask/snorkel. Therefore all other snorkeling, was miserable. Take your own. You'll be glad you did.

Archived