mask and snorkel combo

kguenther

http://www.snorkeldirect.com/udiavbrmasns.html

What do you guys think of this set? I am going to go to a local dive shop and check, but I am afraid of them talking me into spending a ton of money. I don't need the absolute best, but I do want good quality items....what is the likely hood of this set fitting me and my husband?

It's not about looks, it's about fit since faces and masks are different. Go to a dive shop, try on masks until you find one that fits well. When you find one that works go online and see where you can find that brand/model the cheapest and buy it. You will probabily never find a mask that doesn't leak just a little, but there is nothing worse than getting in alot of water and always having to clear your mask. Don't forget some defog too.:)

What do you guys think of this set? I am going to go to a local dive shop and check, but I am afraid of them talking me into spending a ton of money. I don't need the absolute best, but I do want good quality items....what is the likely hood of this set fitting me and my husband?

Jiminy is right ..... it's not looks or price - it's fit. Check with the local dive shop (or shops hopefully!) and see what fits. If you find it cheaper on the internet, local shops will often price match .... and dive shops frequently have sales is the winter to boost the bottom line during the slow season.

We bought our first snorkel/mask/fin set (US Divers) at Costco over 10 years ago. We found the set worked perfectly for snorkeling with no leaks or problems. After getting scuba certified, I'm still using the same set and my husband is using the fins. He lost the snorkel in Hawaii, but although the mask never leaked, it didn't fit properly to do all the skills in diving, so we bought a new mask. His old mask is now our back-up mask since it will fit both of us.

Yes, I agree a mask has to fit properly, but you don't have to buy the most expensive items to achieve that.

Your right Hilary. Cost does not equal better fit! The only way to get a good fit is to try them on. When my DW & I went for masks, she had to try on all the dive shops masks to find the one that fit best, I only had to try on 2. When my DW would smile or put in her snorkel, her lips and cheeks would form a little crease which would make the mask leak. We did buy from the dive shop and they were only a few dollars more than the places on line. We had purchased the combo packs/one size fits all from K-Mart, Wal-Mart etc. in the past. They worked okay for me but my DW & DD always had leak problems and they never really liked snorkeling. We now have the proper equipment and my DW & I love snorkeling and we both got OW scuba certified last year. Many of the people in our class had started out by snorkeling on cruises and then wanted to scuba. Some had similar problems with masks leaking that were not properly fit. Don't get me wrong, snorkeling is great even with a mask that leaks, it's just so much better with the proper equipment. Have fun snorkeling on your trip!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Each face is different, I know I help people try on mask everyday. I'm a divemaster @ a well known diveshop in Fl. Go and try on the mask. A mask that fits your dh might not fit your son nor you. A leaky mask is no fun. Also if the diveshop pushes the best then don't do business with them. Sometimes the employees are on commission. I also recommend if you have long hair to get a mask strap. They are not expensive @ all. Ask at the dive shop. Also ask about discounts of any kind. If you look on the net tell them you found it cheaper there or at another dive shop cheaper but you would really like to business with them. Ask to speak with the owner if needed. Good Luck.....

Each face is different, I know I help people try on mask everyday. I'm a divemaster @ a well known diveshop in Fl. Go and try on the mask.

There is no such thing as a dive shop or anyone who carries snorkels and masks even close to me. What to do now? I found this on the Gart website. http://www.gartsports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1880816&cp=710607&parentPage=family

Do you know anything about this set, and how does one "measure" to get the best fit if they have to be ordered over the web?

Thanks.

I looked at the site. What they carry you can sometimes get @ your local shopping centers. Do you have anything near you?

If not this is a known store around this area. If you decide to buy from them, read the page about buying a mask and how to size one for your face. Good Luck.:)

Archived