How long to climb down stairs in Santorini ?

Lil' Baba

We are planning a trip to Santorini with our 6 year old son. Should we be concerned about his safety if we decide to walk down the cliff either due to the potential for falling over the edge of the path or donkey collision? We are looking at making the trip down after dark too if that is a complicating factor.

A 6 yr old and in the dark ??? These stairs are so uneven that 6 yr old legs are just going to have trouble and covered with "donkey doo". While another poster said the "droppings" would be all dried, Sorry was not our experience and sent feet flying and yes a bad landing.

Take the sky tram do NOT have a 6 yr old walking down in the dark! The the gondolas have a long line and we still only waited 10 - 15 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is there a railing to hold onto. (It doesn't look like it from your photo).

No railing just the short wall. The stairs are wide, deep and short. You really have to watch where you step as the stairs are very uneven and of course to avoid donkey droppings. In the late afternoon most of the droppings are dried but not all. I know some people think it's terrible and it smells but I disagree. I love the walk down and have done it 4 times, once was at night. I would not walk down however if the stairs were wet from the rain.

Walking down is not the problem. Donkeys might be. A donkey stept on my toes on the way up. Quite heavy... On the way down I made myself bigger by carrying my bag between myself and the donkeys. Saved my other toes...

Edited by 3ssn
spelling error