Things to do in Ocho Rios?

tallnjkris

CCL offers both. I have been to both places.

The one that is 45 minutes away is the scary ride trip up the mountian with a long walk to the zips and a long walk/wait after. I think this is the tubing trip as well.

The trip that is 5 minutes is the sky explorer/bobsled/zipline tour. You can see the chairlift poles from the ship.Its that close.

Steve

Hmmm, do you know what the sky explorer is? We have no desire to do the bobsled however I would love to do a zip that close to the ship. I wonder if we could do the zip there and then do a tubing excursion separately. If we leave at 3:30 does that leave enough time?

Seems like the people who are put off by poor people hassling you for this or that are likely to enjoy the ship more than the port.

I'm actually prepared to deal with it. Like the OP, I'm trying to figure out what would be a good thing to do. I can't stay on the ship at a place I have never been to before!

I'm thinking it may be nice to go to a beach... maybe get a day pass at one of the resorts?

We were thinking of doing the zip-lining/river tubing tour. Has anyone done this? I have some issues with messed up discs in my neck. Can I still do the zip-lining or is it really jerky? Also, how is the ride to get there? I hear it is dangerous and scary. Sorry for so many questions :)

Just did that excursion last week. Loved it. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

Hmmm, do you know what the sky explorer is? We have no desire to do the bobsled however I would love to do a zip that close to the ship. I wonder if we could do the zip there and then do a tubing excursion separately. If we leave at 3:30 does that leave enough time?

Yes, the Sky explorer IS the chairlift up and back.It takes about 15 minutes each way. You must take the Sky Explorer to do either the bobsled or the zipline. Plenty of time as its so close to the ship.

I still think you would be very surprised how much fun that bobsled is.2 in my party were not intersted at all,then they rode it 2 more times:D. The bobsled returns you right back up to the top using a cable system on a track.

Steve

buckeyegrad94

I want more info on this please. We are thinking about the combo tour too, or just the canopy tour. How was the ziplining on the combo tour? Did it seem short or was the 3 lines just enough? Were they long zips or short? I have never zipped before and want to enjoy myself and not regret not doing the longer zipline. On the tubing, do the guides hold onto your tubes the whole down the river? On a youtube video, thats what it looked like....

Thanks!

Talli

We really enjoyed river rafting on the Martha Brae. You have your own two passenger raft with a guide. We didn't get wet and it was a very peaceful trip down a picturesque small river with the guide doing all the work. We booked through Carnival so we boarded the shuttle in the "safe zone" and missed all the negative excitement usually associated with Jamaica.

Another vote for Margaritaville! It was very nice, felt safe there. However, during the walk there, people WILL follow you and they WILL try to sell you pot. It's a nice place to spend the rest of your day after/before a tour

buckeyegrad94

I want more info on this please. We are thinking about the combo tour too, or just the canopy tour. How was the ziplining on the combo tour? Did it seem short or was the 3 lines just enough? Were they long zips or short? I have never zipped before and want to enjoy myself and not regret not doing the longer zipline. On the tubing, do the guides hold onto your tubes the whole down the river? On a youtube video, thats what it looked like....

Thanks!

Talli

Talli, honestly I would have preferred more ziplines. Of the 3, the 1st one is by far the longest...close to 100 yds I'd say. Then 2 shorter ones that aren't too too high from the ground. Everyone in our excursion group was a first timer so the 3 were plenty for some and then those who really enjoyed it needed more. Overall, it is a good taste, but I would definitely want more next time.

The tubing was incredible and the highlight of my trip. The guides start out holding as a group and hold on only when folks couldn't steer their tube in the stream...it was easy to move into the slow water and fall behind. The scenary was incredible, locals on rope swings, 4-6 sets of 'rapids' (nothing too bad at all), and various spots to get out of your tube and swim or float along. The tubes have fiberglass bottoms to you never scrape your tail or worry about staying in the tube. The guides were comedians and also informative about spots and vegetation.

Hope that helps. Anything else?

buckeyegrad94

Thank you! I think I will do the combo tour, since you highly recommend the tubing. I was definetly looking forward to that as well as long as the guides only "help" as needed :rolleyes:. I wish I could do both the longer zipline and the tubing but will settle for the shorter zip, especially as neither DH or I have ever done this before.

Thanks again, you were a huge help in deciding what to do!

Talli

buckeyegrad94

Thank you! I think I will do the combo tour, since you highly recommend the tubing. I was definetly looking forward to that as well as long as the guides only "help" as needed :rolleyes:. I wish I could do both the longer zipline and the tubing but will settle for the shorter zip, especially as neither DH or I have ever done this before.

Thanks again, you were a huge help in deciding what to do!

Talli

When are you cruising? We go October 17th so if you go before us I would love to hear your experience on this tour. I am mostly concerned about the drive up the hill since I keep hearing horror stories about it haha. I want to do the tubing more than anything and then a trip to Margaritaville!

sturderick

Sorry, but we don't cruise until November 14 :(. I can't wait! Just do the tour if you are excited by it and don't think about the drive, or think about it as an adventure. That's what I am going to do :D.

Talli

buckeyegrad94

I thought of one more question :D. About how many people were on the tour with you? I have heard here on CC that many of the Carnival excursions can get pretty crowded, did you feel that way on this excursion?

Okay, I guess that is two questions! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Talli

buckeyegrad94

I thought of one more question :D. About how many people were on the tour with you? I have heard here on CC that many of the Carnival excursions can get pretty crowded, did you feel that way on this excursion?

Okay, I guess that is two questions! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Talli

Probably 30 people...wasn't crowded at all. They split us onto 3 vans and two tubing groups.

We left at 10am and were back at the dock around 3.

I honestly don't know why people think it's so horrible in Jamaica. We've been there three times and have enjoyed it every time. Just say no to people that want to sell you things and enjoy the island. We did Dunns and the botanical gardens the first time, Margaritaville in Negril the second time with a beach and shopping tour and the beach and Margaritaville in Montego Bay (on our own) the third time. I'm looking forward to going to the 3rd Margaritaville in Ocho Rios. We took our 4 kids the last time and we all had a great time. You have to be smart on any island you go to. Honestly I was more scared in parts of Miami than I was in Jamaica!

I am glad you had a nice time there. We did the Black River "cruise" excursion there several years ago and had a nice time. But the last time we were in Montego Bay my wife was nearly accosted in one of the shops by a couple of locals. They started grabbing her and pulling on her and telling her they would give her a ride back to the ship or wherever she needed to go. By the time me and the shop owner (who was very helpful) intervened it almost came to blows. Keep in mind...this was the week after a honeymoon couple had been robbed and beaten by "cab driver" in Montego Bay. That's when we had finally had enough of Jamaica.

sturderick

Sorry, but we don't cruise until November 14 :(. I can't wait! Just do the tour if you are excited by it and don't think about the drive, or think about it as an adventure. That's what I am going to do :D.

Talli

That's what I'm going to do too! Can't wait :D.

AGREED!!!!

(We did the Bobsled, but will never again do a cruise that goes anywhere near Jamaica...no desire at all to go back there)

We were on the Freedom with you in November! I agree, Ocho Rios is God-awful. 15 minutes off the ship and my friend almost got pickpocketed. We had to chase the guy off. Then we paid $5 to spent 10 minutes on a beach before we found hypodermic needles and broken beer bottles and decided to get back on the ship. Best decision ever. Jamaica is a PIT.

Obviously, some people hate Jamaica. Live a little and have an adventure. We love Jamaica. We had teens with us and it was their favorite port ever.

Go over to the ports of call board and start researching the private tour operators. There are some great independent tours that will keep you safe, keep you out of the crowds, but still give you a chance to see the beautiful and interesting parts of the island, while giving you as much information about history and culture as you want to know. You'll get a great personal tour and feel like you actually visited Jamaica.

I understand some people have had terrible experiences, but that isn't the only thing that happens there. Eat local fruit and try some goat. There is unbelievable food but folks have to get past the fear to enjoy it.

buckeyegrad94

Thanks!!!

pjhootch

Thanks for saying something positive about Jamaica. I have never cruised before, and did not pick this itinerary since we are cruising with family for a wedding. But I am the most excited by Jamaica, even with the all negative comments I have heard :rolleyes:. Also my SIL was there 2 years ago on a 1 week land vacation and it was her favorite vacation to date and she has been to several carribean locals, mexico several times, Brazil and Europe. We are planning on having a good time, so I know we will.

Talli

Archived