Do you miss your kids?

I am newbie, only been on four cruises, none with the kidiots OR the DH....never missed the kidiots, did miss the DH, but he refuses to cruise, so I gotta go without him. :D

Try it, if you hate it, don't do it again, but I bet you might like it.

Ok, first of all... KIDIOTS! rofl!!! Too funny. Second, I've cruised with and without them. I love cruising. Period. Taking them along allows me to see things differently or try an adventure that I might not have if they weren't with me. When DH and I go alone, it's all about the relaxation, although I do miss them a lot by the end. With the kids, it's more about adventure. I honestly have enjoyed cruising with and without them, though I can't wait til I can afford to fly to further ports because I'll be able to afford it when they're grown.

Oh, and KIDIOTS. I'm still laughing! Good one... :p

In August we are taking our first cruise/vacation without the kids in 10 years and they happen to be 15 and 19.

Will I miss them while they are staying with the inlaws? Yes

Will I worry about them and stay in touch whenever possible? Yes

Will I have a good time without them? YES!:D;)

I love my kids dearly but I also enjoy my time away from them. I have been married for coming up on 30 years and I still don't get bored with my husband - maybe something is wrong with me. Someone want to psychoanalize me - something is dreadfully wrong with me.

Same here Tbay-eh. I enjoy my time with my kids but MUST, MUST, MUST have DH and I time away every year. I know that some people are 24/7 parents, that is, they cannot fathom being away from their kids at all and if they do (gasp!) they miss them so badly that they cannot possibly enjoy their time away. Safe to say, I am NOT in that category. I believe that children need to have time away from their parents or they have separation anxiety into the 6, 7, 8 range. They need to learn to trust the parents, that is, "I'm going away now, but I'll be back." And then when they do come back, the child learns trust (it's all part of developmental stages that kids go through).

And while I COULD psychoanalyze you (LOL), I'll simply stop short and say that the problem is NOT with the person who is not tired of their spouse at the 30 year mark. 'Nuff said. :D

I would like to add that my children range in age from 5 to 18. I do leave them overnight occassionally... But, they generally wouldn't enjoy those trips.

Oh... and my husband isn't a talker, I am. Hence, the reason that I worry about being bored. I'm definately NOT tired of him. It's crazy because if I were to only take the girls... I would miss HIM!!!

That being said, we've decided to give it a go in February. Wish us luck.

I would like to add that my children range in age from 5 to 18. I do leave them overnight occassionally... But, they generally wouldn't enjoy those trips.

Oh... and my husband isn't a talker, I am. Hence, the reason that I worry about being bored. I'm definately NOT tired of him. It's crazy because if I were to only take the girls... I would miss HIM!!!

Good luck! I'm sure you will have fun. Ya know . . . not all activities (particularly those that you can't do in front of the kiddos) require talking :)

I agree with what previous posters have said, though, it's not just good for a relationship to get away, it's good for the kids too. When we leave our kids, they are with one set of grandparents or another (and sometimes both, when they share the time). They have outstanding relationships with their grandparents. It's good for kids to know that there are other adults in their lives that they can turn to. And it keeps the grandparents young.

And, by spending time together as a couple, you are modeling what a good relationship is about - that a healthy relationship involves more than just the kids and the day to day, but the romantic and the commitment, and the time together matter too.

I took a week-long cruise with my sister for our bdays last year, and it was too long to be away from my kids. At this point (8yo/5yo) I do fine apart from them for a few days but anything more than that is just too long.

Strangely enough, when I cruise with my kids I don't miss my husband at all. LOL I love him dearly, but there's something very special about mommy & kids time. Maybe because we had husband/wife time for years before they were born and will have it for decades after they leave the nest...

Of course you'll miss your kids, but you will have a blast! Mommies and Daddies need time to regroup and kids actually do too. As long as their not staying with Cruella Deville or Ms. Hannigan while your gone, they have a good time too. We ALL appreciate each other more on our return home.

The hubby and I vacation kidless every other year and family-style yearly. Keeps it saucy!!

Last week, my DH and I spent the week on the Dream, then detoured to Brooklyn, MI for the nascar race.. it was a long week, but we had fun. HOWEVER.. there were several points through the week that we found ourselves thinking of our DS4 and DS6, and even ended up at Camp Carnival to look at it, confirming that our boys would probably love it there.

by the time the race was in it's final 15 laps, we decided enough was enough, we were going home. by leaving those few laps early, we managed to get back to our kids probably 2.5-3 hours earlier, and we don't regret any of it.

Next vacation, whenever it ends up, will be for the 4 of us.

Of course you'll miss your kids, but you will have a blast! Mommies and Daddies need time to regroup and kids actually do too. As long as their not staying with Cruella Deville or Ms. Hannigan while your gone, they have a good time too. We ALL appreciate each other more on our return home.

The hubby and I vacation kidless every other year and family-style yearly. Keeps it saucy!!

THIS! DH and I vacation kidless once a year. Usually they are 4-5 day hops to Vegas. We love it. Yes, I miss my daughter but she is having way to much fun playing at Grandma's house. I know she misses me. We are thrilled to see each other at the end of the trip.

My DH works 70 hours a week and I stay home with our 4 kids! It is very expensive to take them somewhere so we do a little weekend with them special and cruise together ALONE! It is my vacation from all the work and MAMA!! We have been married 21 years and it is nice to be lovers again and do what we want!! Taking them on their first cruise in 53 days! I am excited for them but 4 days will be enough! LOL! Go it alone and see what happens!!

And, by spending time together as a couple, you are modeling what a good relationship is about - that a healthy relationship involves more than just the kids and the day to day, but the romantic and the commitment, and the time together matter too.

OMG YES !!! Exactly !! It's important for kids to see parents do 'parents' things together. They can't always come, they can't always sit between you on the couch, they can't always have allthe attention. The same way kids like being with their friends without mom hanging around, parents like being by themselves without kids hanging around.

Will I miss them ? Of course. Will I think "Oh DD would love this!" ? You bet. Will I be miserable cause we didn't bring the kids along - No way !!

Having said all that in my previous post, I do have a "bored with DH" story. I would never consider going anywhere without my DD cause my DH (now my ex !) had no interest in doing anything that I wanted to. He wanted to drink and stay up late and I wanted to do fun stuff during the day then crash early. I *needed* to brig my DD along as my buddy - who else would come swimming with me or try the slide or play trivia games ?

That above explains in part why he is my ex-H !!

My BF (who I refer to here as DH sometimes) and I have similar interests and love doing fun things together all day, with or without kids.

So as long as you and your DH are well suited for each other - a "love-bird" cruise minus the kids is a perfect idea !!

Well then you can just find some new friends on the cruise. I always do. Have a great time in February!!!!!

Let us know how it goes.

I have only been married 33 yrs. Not bored with DH ... yet LOL

Taking our first vacation without DD in October, 25th anniversary cruise. DD is in college. Super excited that friends we met through Cruise Critic on board 2 years ago are joining us. First childless vacation for them also. Baby starting college.

Yes I feel a little guilty but it is time...

Happy Cruising!

You will always miss you kids whether you go on vacation or they move out on their own. We took a week long cruise w/o our DD when she was about 11yrs and I emailed her every night from the ship. Also, I wrapped a small gift for each night we were gone for her grandparents to give her so she knew I thought about her. The only thing was, she conned them out of all the gifts at once. I don't know if I could've done it, if I couldn't have emailed her each night...I worry that something will happen to my children, not find out right away and not be there for them.

When DD was younger, I missed her when we cruised, even though we've never cruised without her! She just spent most of her time in Camp Carnival! I can't imagine cruising without her. We'll do that when she's off to college.

DH and I (married 17 years) have always made time for each other--I agree it's important to keep that relationship strong and that it's good for the kids. But, I wouldn't vacation without DD. I don't judge people who vacation without their kids, it's just not for us.

I travel internationally for business and my manager is very aware there will be a phone call home (sometimes two) every day while I'm abroad.

DD and I are taking a mother-daughter cruise in August. I'll miss my DH while we're gone, but I'll survive. ;)

Since I am never away from my kids except when they are in school, no I wouldn't miss them at all! I would jump at a chance to just have a vacation with my hubby, but since the grandparents are all gone and we don't have any other relatives who would babysit, they come with us.

I love them, but sometimes you just need a little break. One of my kids is special needs and the other is quite a handful too. This is one of the reasons for the cruise-we figure they can spend a little time at camp and still have fun, and my husband and I can do things on our own for a change too.

I think you said that you are a stay at home mom...I am too. My husband and I are leaving our two boys for a four night cruise in a week. We try to do a long weekend getaway at least once a year in addition to our family vacation. I do miss them when we are gone but I bet it will be easier than you think. I am with them 24/7 and I love the break once I get over the actual leaving part. My husband however does miss them more than I do because he doesn't get to spend near the time that I do with them. As far as getting board with your husband...I love mine VERY much but I will say that we did 10 days on our HM cruise to Alaska and Canada. It was so wonderful at first but by the end I really needed to talk to someone else:) Doesn't mean I don't love him:) However, I will say now that we have kids and our time together is much more limited I don't have the same issue! I think you should give it a shot.

Last week, my DH and I spent the week on the Dream, then detoured to Brooklyn, MI for the nascar race.. it was a long week, but we had fun. HOWEVER.. there were several points through the week that we found ourselves thinking of our DS4 and DS6, and even ended up at Camp Carnival to look at it, confirming that our boys would probably love it there.

by the time the race was in it's final 15 laps, we decided enough was enough, we were going home. by leaving those few laps early, we managed to get back to our kids probably 2.5-3 hours earlier, and we don't regret any of it.

Next vacation, whenever it ends up, will be for the 4 of us.

LOL...I've been to those NASCAR races at MIS and you're right, if you would have stayed to the end it would have been a few hours before you got out of there. The traffic out is horrendous. You would have been stuck, moving inches at a time, wishing you were home with kids....You did the right thing.

When the kids (we have 30 were younger ) we geared our vacations more torwards them (Disney and the like amusement parks and beach getaways at Cape Cod) DW and I had fun and of course we enjoyed watching the kids have a good time, but they were definately vacations for tyhe kids benefits , as they should have been at that age.

Now they are 22,18,and 17. So it's our turn :)

Between school, work, their friends and boyfriends and girlfriends and whatnot, they have busier dance cards than my wife and I. even when we want to plan a family thing it's tough getting them altogether on the same date same time.

So DW and I do our own thing. The kids want to join in ....great , otherwise they are very self reliant, they won't fold up and die if we goi away for a few days or a week.

Do we miss them? well yes. I think what we miss more is when they were little (well my wife does anyway *LOL*) when we just packed them up and took them with us.

Archived