Do you miss your kids?

It's soooo hard for me to enjoy my time away from my girls! I'll see something that they'd love to do and think of them. I do have many moments of fun. But, even on my honeymoon, I missed them.

That being said, I like to take a couple of vacations a year. So, we take all four girls. It get's pretty expensive. The plan is to take one as a group and one as a couple. But, I always chicken out!

I'm afraid that I'll get bored with just my husband (shhhhh) for 5 nights.

Am I the only one?

Dh and I started this a few years ago. We do one vacation with the 4 kids then one as a couple. I'll admit I had a pretty miserable time the first year. Everything I saw made me think of one of the kids and how much fun they'd have with it or how cool they'd think it was. Got teary eyed many times during that cruise and couldn't wait for it to be over.

Good news is you get that one out of the way and the rest are much better. When you get back and realize you missed them way more than they missed you and they had tons of fun, they didn't sit around feeling left out. Now we go, I have a great time and we cherish our couple time. I still miss them and I still think of them all through the trip but it's not enough to ruin it anymore. They look forward to us going as much or maybe more than we do. They have a blast with my parents while we are gone.

My husband and I went on a 12 night medeterian cruise 2 years ago, 1st cruise with 3 other couples - no kids. It was great, we had planned a lot of excursions before we left we had very little down/bored time. When we needed a break from each other we would just separate and do something different on the ship - it worked out well. The kids are now 19 and 21 and we are planning the 1st cruise for the kids in 3 weeks - it will be a different cruise than the last time but looking forward to some good family time. Even though the kids were 17 and 19 at the time of last cruise my mom stayed with them. We even lost touch with them for the first 4 days since our cell phone was not working everyone survived. They actually enjoyed the time with Granny and still talk about what she did when she stayed with them.

PS - we rented a house on the Jersey shore for 6 of 7 years 9 weeks each summer with 3 other families and multitude of kids. It was nice to have a nice vacation with only hubby. We did book 2 rooms on the cruise with the kids thought everyone would enjoy it more since they are older.

Karen

OP:

Keep taking the kids until they no longer wish to cruise with you (friends, sports, etc.).They grow old sooooo fast .:)

The extra $$ is worth it even if it limits your cruises for now.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a cruise for 2 right now is not for you (yet) . Bored with husband, missing kids.

A recipe for failure.:eek:

Hey did u read my mind??? We are a one income family and only vacation once a year, we dont do weekends away, we save to do one family vacation. My kids are 5.10.15, and I couldnt imagine going on a cruise without them, they love it as much as we do;) My thinking is, they are only children for so long and may not want to spend time with us when they are older, so we take advantage of these family vacations. I get nervous thinking that me and my husband will get bored with each other as well, we have different interests and all even on vacation. I know most people wont admit it, but its the truth in our situation.

We will be crusing at the end of Aug and this time, no extra people with us. Meaning, my kids will be with us, but no other family members like in the past. I know after dinner, the kids will scatter to their age appropriate camp and it will be just the two of us:eek:...

4 yrs ago we were on a cruise, and we were coming back on the bus from the Monkey thing in Roatan. At the time my youngest was just newly 2. There was this couple sitting behind us talking to us. They said by looking at my little girl, made them miss not having their children with them. They said their children were back at home with grandma. She went on to say she didnt think the kids would enjoy a cruise, and that she though was a great opportunity to get away with her husband and another couple. She saw how fun it was for my kids, and then talking to my then 2 yr old daughter made her miss her kids:rolleyes:

It's soooo hard for me to enjoy my time away from my girls! I'll see something that they'd love to do and think of them. I do have many moments of fun. But, even on my honeymoon, I missed them.

That being said, I like to take a couple of vacations a year. So, we take all four girls. It get's pretty expensive. The plan is to take one as a group and one as a couple. But, I always chicken out!

Am I the only one?

Love our kids. Love their dad more. I had him first and know him best.

I am never bored with him.

We started taking without-the-kids-vacations when our oldest was 20 months old and have done it ever since.

That said...our kids are now adults. We still vacation with them. Last July oldest DD, her husband and baby went with us to Yellowstone. In January 2009 youngest DD and her husband cruised with us as their college graduation gift. Son got married in May on Victory so we cruised with them (didn't really see much of the honeymooners, though. :p )

Since especially the girls call or text to check in every day we are gone it's difficult to miss someone you talk to all the time.

And before you ask... I have an international roaming plan - the trip in May caused a one month only $20 rise in our phone bill. I will gladly pay it to know that our elderly parents, their grandchildren and great grandchild (all 5 of whom have medical issues) are fine here at home.

I think time alone together makes for better parents and for a better forever. You need time with just him, he needs time with just you. What will your empty nest home be like if you think you will be bored when alone with your husband?

Love our kids. Love their dad more. I had him first and know him best.

I am never bored with him.

We started taking without-the-kids-vacations when our oldest was 20 months old and have done it ever since.

That said...our kids are now adults. We still vacation with them. Last July oldest DD, her husband and baby went with us to Yellowstone. In January 2009 youngest DD and her husband cruised with us as their college graduation gift. Son got married in May on Victory so we cruised with them (didn't really see much of the honeymooners, though. :p )

Since especially the girls call or text to check in every day we are gone it's difficult to miss someone you talk to all the time.

And before you ask... I have an international roaming plan - the trip in May caused a one month only $20 rise in our phone bill. I will gladly pay it to know that our elderly parents, their grandchildren and great grandchild (all 5 of whom have medical issues) are fine here at home.

I think time alone together makes for better parents and for a better forever. You need time with just him, he needs time with just you. What will your empty nest home be like if you think you will be bored when alone with your husband?

Very well said. My DW and I are about to go out our 2nd cruise without our boys (5 and 2 1/2). We missed them last year but we still enjoyed our trip and they had a ball with grandma and grandpa the week of our trip. It is definitely important to have alone time with your spouse; that doesn't mean you love your kids any less. A happy marriage means a happy home and that is what your kids need to learn. And, my DW and I don't have a whole lot of the same interests but you know what...we make a point to do things that we both do like and we have each learned to compromise and do some of the things we may not neccessarily enjoy doing to make our spouse happy. Marriage is not always about doing the things you want to do only. I enjoy being with my wife regardless of what we're doing. We could be watching paint dry and it would be okay with me because it's with her. If I was afraid of getting bored with my wife, she wouldn't be my wife. Just sayin'!

[quote name='LiveLoveCruise']It's soooo hard for me to enjoy my time away from my girls! I'll see something that they'd love to do and think of them. I do have many moments of fun. But, even on my honeymoon, I missed them.

Am I the only one?[/quote]

Have been married almost 34 years...cant say I ever get tired of hubby or bored, he is a fun guy to be around and quite comical at times, even when hes not even trying to be lol Our youngest is off to college on July 25 the day after we get back from cruising for a week for sons wedding...sure we will miss her but thats life, they have to grow up at some port...We adore all 3 of our kids, but its important to have mom and dad time too, away from the kids :)

Archived