bioluminescent bay

coolcruisier

Hi I'm going to be sailing on the Victory and will be flying in a day early and was thinking about booking the bioluminescent bay tour Carnival has. Is this good? are there better tours? I would appreciate the help

If you are flying in a day early, rent a car and do it on your own and save $$.

And then you even have the possibility of doing the Vieques BioBay which is even nicer than the Fajardo one.

My friend and I did the Vieques Island Bioluminescent Bay Tour with East Island Excursions because we wanted to swim in the bioluminescent water. All of the other tours that we found were kayaking tours that did not include a swim. The tour departed by boat from Marina Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo. Once we arrived on Vieques Island, we were treated to a nice dinner (included in the cost of the tour), then we took a harrowing bus ride and then a short boat ride into the bay where we swam in the warm water. It was absolutely magical. You can read more about our experience and see our pictures at www.mydreamcametrue.com/dreambiobay

We are sailing on Aug. 29 on the Car. Victory. We are flying in on the 28th to stay at Old San Juan. We have been on this same cruise last yr and 3 yr ago. We want to do the bio-bay tour, is it possible to get from Frajardo back to Old San Juan if we go at night? Or if we go to the one at Mosquito Bay on Vieques is there a way to get back that night? We have a hotel already booked for the night pre-cruise and the night post-cruise on Sept 5th. Thanks in advance!

We are sailing on Aug. 29 on the Car. Victory. We are flying in on the 28th to stay at Old San Juan. We have been on this same cruise last yr and 3 yr ago. We want to do the bio-bay tour, is it possible to get from Frajardo back to Old San Juan if we go at night? Or if we go to the one at Mosquito Bay on Vieques is there a way to get back that night? We have a hotel already booked for the night pre-cruise and the night post-cruise on Sept 5th. Thanks in advance!

Sure, you can either rent a car or have on of the companies that do the trips provide transport.

There is only one company that does the Vieques BioBay from the main island of PR and they can provide transport.

If I had an option, I would go on the 5th as the moon is better for viewing.

Rainforestgirl....

Is it really illegal to swim in the biobay?

Is it harmful to the creatures?

Can you get a ticket if you get caught???

Do you know of a company that will pick up and drop

off at Embassy Suites??? Can you email me at

kay995@aol.com?????

Kay

Rainforestgirl....

Is it really illegal to swim in the biobay?

Is it harmful to the creatures?

Can you get a ticket if you get caught???

Kay

It is illegal to swim in the Fajardo BioBay if you are on a tour.

The substances in your deodorant, shampoo, perfume, bug spray etc can harm the creatures.

Yes, they will fine you and the operator if they catch you (and the DRNA is around the dock area from time to time). If you come back to shore wet, they will ask other people in the party what happened.

Swimming is currently still allowed in the Vieques BioBay.

Jencat,

A little off topic, but after looking at your link, I see that you have stayed at the Gran Melia. Did you like it? We got an amazing deal through our credit card points. I would love to hear your thoughts. Did East Island excursions charge you more to be picked up there? I have inquired about a tour through them and are looking to book as soon as the booking window opens! Thanks in advance!

It is illegal to swim in the Fajardo BioBay if you are on a tour.

The substances in your deodorant, shampoo, perfume, bug spray etc can harm the creatures.

Yes, they will fine you and the operator if they catch you (and the DRNA is around the dock area from time to time). If you come back to shore wet, they will ask other people in the party what happened.

Swimming is currently still allowed in the Vieques BioBay.

Rainforestgirl,

I have three full days in Puerto Rico. Do you think I can do the following activities in three full days? El Yunque Rainforest, Charco Azul, Vieqeues Biobay, Camuy River Caverns, and Culebra Flamenco Beach? Do you or anyone know how long the drive is from El Yunque to Vieques Biobay?

Rainforestgirl,

I have three full days in Puerto Rico. Do you think I can do the following activities in three full days? El Yunque Rainforest, Charco Azul, Vieqeues Biobay, Camuy River Caverns, and Culebra Flamenco Beach? Do you or anyone know how long the drive is from El Yunque to Vieques Biobay?

Yes....probably.

El Yunque and Biobay one day. From the rain forest to the marina the boat takes off from for the BioBay tour is about 20 mins drive. (Vieques is a separate island....you can't drive there!).

Camuy in the morning and then a sort of out of the way trip to Charco Azul on another day. Charco Azul is nice if you are in the area for Lechon, but not spectacular enough to drive far out of your way for.

Flamenco beach is a whole other day.

Yes....probably.

El Yunque and Biobay one day. From the rain forest to the marina the boat takes off from for the BioBay tour is about 20 mins drive. (Vieques is a separate island....you can't drive there!).

Camuy in the morning and then a sort of out of the way trip to Charco Azul on another day. Charco Azul is nice if you are in the area for Lechon, but not spectacular enough to drive far out of your way for.

Flamenco beach is a whole other day.

Thanks, you said biobay is on a different island. Do one get there by ferry and is there a ferry schedule and place to park my rental car?

Thanks, you said biobay is on a different island. Do one get there by ferry and is there a ferry schedule and place to park my rental car?

The Vieques BioBay is on Vieques. You either have to stay overnight or take a tour with one company that has a high speed catamaran that does the trip in one evening.

You can use the ferry or take your car over.

The Fajardo BioBay in in Fajardo...on the NE of the main island.

The Vieques BioBay is on Vieques. You either have to stay overnight or take a tour with one company that has a high speed catamaran that does the trip in one evening.

You can use the ferry or take your car over.

The Fajardo BioBay in in Fajardo...on the NE of the main island.

Thanks again,

I think I am going to do El Yunque Rainforest and Fajardo Biobay so I can do it in one day. One day two I will go to Culebra Flamenco Beach by airplane. Day three is on a Sunday, do you know if Camuy River Caverns is going to be open?

Thanks again,

I think I am going to do El Yunque Rainforest and Fajardo Biobay so I can do it in one day. One day two I will go to Culebra Flamenco Beach by airplane. Day three is on a Sunday, do you know if Camuy River Caverns is going to be open?

You could do the Vieques BioBay in one day, but there is only one company that can do it.

Yes, the Camuy Caves are open on Sunday (as long as it is not a holiday or raining).

Get there early....they only have a certain # of entrance tickets a day.

• 3 weeks later...
Jencat,

A little off topic, but after looking at your link ( www.mydreamcametrue.com/dreambiobay ), I see that you have stayed at the Gran Melia. Did you like it? We got an amazing deal through our credit card points. I would love to hear your thoughts. Did East Island excursions charge you more to be picked up there? I have inquired about a tour through them and are looking to book as soon as the booking window opens! Thanks in advance!

Hi Princessh,

To answer your questions:

We loved our stay at Gran Melia Puerto Rico. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful! Every morning, I enjoyed walking along the hotel's long, skinny beach. Food at the hotel is good, but somewhat expensive (the most affordable place that we found was an open air restaurant right next to the beach and the pool).

East Island Excursions did charge us extra to be picked up at the hotel. We also had the option of renting a car (there was a car rental desk at the hotel), but thought this would be easier. We did rent a car for one day to explore (nearby) El Yunque on our own.

I hope you have a great time in Puerto Rico!

My friend and I did the Vieques Island Bioluminescent Bay Tour with East Island Excursions because we wanted to swim in the bioluminescent water. All of the other tours that we found were kayaking tours that did not include a swim. The tour departed by boat from Marina Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo. Once we arrived on Vieques Island, we were treated to a nice dinner (included in the cost of the tour), then we took a harrowing bus ride and then a short boat ride into the bay where we swam in the warm water. It was absolutely magical. You can read more about our experience and see our pictures at www.mydreamcametrue.com/dreambiobay

We did this tour and it was amazing. They also have a pick up and drop off service from you hotel! You will be drinking plenty on their cataraman to Vieques also at dinner time. So spend the extra money (not much either) and have them pick you and drop you off. From Old San Jaun to Fajardo port is a 30-40 minute ride!

Hi Princessh,

To answer your questions:

We loved our stay at Gran Melia Puerto Rico. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful! Every morning, I enjoyed walking along the hotel's long, skinny beach. Food at the hotel is good, but somewhat expensive (the most affordable place that we found was an open air restaurant right next to the beach and the pool).

East Island Excursions did charge us extra to be picked up at the hotel. We also had the option of renting a car (there was a car rental desk at the hotel), but thought this would be easier. We did rent a car for one day to explore (nearby) El Yunque on our own.

I hope you have a great time in Puerto Rico!

Thanks so much for the review! Looking forward to our stay there!

eastwinds catamarans provide transport

What would the approx cost for each of the biobay tours,

frajardo and vieques.

Also it was said one of them will pick you up at your hotel.

What is the approx time frame for the tour from pick up to drop off.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be coming into PR on the Carnival Freedom on November 8, 2010. The ship arrives at 5:00 p.m. and then departs at 11:59 p.m. We really want to do the Biobay but is that enough time to do it? I'm concerned. I know Carnival offers a kayak trip but we have two people in our group who are not able to do a kayak trip. Please help with any suggestions.

Archived