Shots? Malaria?

Ellya

We got a series of 2 Hepatitis A shots (6 months apart) several years ago since we like to travel to the Carribbean and Central America. Our doctor said it was probably a good idea.

I got sick in December after visiting Belize - Ambergris Caye. My doctor thought it was a bacterial intestinal infection. Cleared up fast with Cipro.

My parents recently cruised central America and their doctor sent them some emergency Cipro just in case. Apparently it is pretty common to pick up a bacterial bug there.

I'd go again in a heartbeat, but might want some Cipro along just in case!

We wore Coppertone bug/sunscreen and had no problems with critters.

Talked to my dr. who spends a lot of time in Central American, he said to take chloroquin. All you need is the bite from one infected mosquito and its not worth it. You take the med 1 day a week starting 1 week before and 4 weeks after. He gave me a prescription for 7 pills to be safe.

"Talked to my dr. who spends a lot of time in Central American"

Note: Ellya will be spending ONE day in Belize and will not be there at night when the malaria causing mosquitos come out. Some people have strong reactions to anti-malarial meds. But whatever makes one feel safe I suppose.

"Talked to my dr. who spends a lot of time in Central American"

Note: Ellya will be spending ONE day in Belize and will not be there at night when the malaria causing mosquitos come out. Some people have strong reactions to anti-malarial meds. But whatever makes one feel safe I suppose.

What are the strong reactions to the anti-malarial meds? Have many people on these boards suffered any reactions. i would like to know as we are considering taking these tabs

It might make a difference what time of year you go. We were there last week (Feb), and had no trouble whatsoever from mosquitos. We'd brought Deet, and my husband put it on, but I didn't bother.

It might be different in the wet season, but I agree with Zeno, a good DEET bug repellent (water proof if you are going cave tubing) should be enough for the short time you are there.

Su

What are the strong reactions to the anti-malarial meds? Have many people on these boards suffered any reactions. i would like to know as we are considering taking these tabs

Side effects of chloroquinine:

gastrointestinal upset, dizziness, blurred vision,itchyiness

It really is up to you. Belize does get some malaria cases every year - mostly in the south and remote areas in the north and east. The mosquito that carries malaria comes out in the early evening.

Mosquito repellant should be 30% Deet.

For what it's worth, I recently asked my pediatrician if I should get anti-malaria medication or other vaccination for my 11yo DD who will be cruising with me. He said to check with the CDC or similar closer to my cruise to see if there were any problems with malaria and, if not, then not to worry about it. He said her normal kid vaccinations would cover any risk of Hepatitis.

I wouldn't worry too much about Malaria in Belize. Those mosquitoes don't come out till at least at night.

I've been to Africa twice and it's way worst there. Belize is a much cleaner place. It's not like you're going into the jungle or anything. You are visiting tourist areas. Keep in mind that places like Belize gets thousands of visitors everyday, so if malaria or any other kind of diseases are spreading, lots of people would be sick by now.

So don't worry and enjoy your trip!

Hepatitis A: from food - yes

Vaccine: yes

Vaccine side effects: my arm was slighly sore for a day and I felt a touch feverish. (First shot only. Booster did not bother me at all.) Note: for long term protection from Hep A, you need TWO shots. Initial shot and then a booster 6 months later. The initial shot WILL give you temporary protection. The booster makes the protection last longer.

• 1 year later...

Archived