What to do w/ valuables when snorkling?

traveler11

We plan on going to some beaches on our own in Bermuda. What do you do with your "Stuff" when you are snorkling?! Mostly worried about wallet (which we will downsize) and passport.

Also, what is the best was to carry your gear around? We'll be taking buses and ferries and may want to continue to site see after snorkling but before returning to the ship. Can anyone recommend a backpack or other carrier?

Thanks so much!

Thanks Tigger. I will look further at those bags. And I have one of the waterproof cases, but what about the passports? Do you take them with your or leave them on the ship (I don't think we have a safe) We'll be in Bermuda.

Can you tell that I'm totally new to this?!? Thanks so much!

Leave your "valuables" and passport in the cabin safe. Take some cash, an ID, a copy of the passport and a credit card.

Loksak makes Padi certiifed water proof "inserts" that attach to a belt, on your snorkel vest for example:

Click on "Aloksak" for the inserts, and "Splashsak" for the pouches. There's a variety of sizes. You'll want to buy two sets of the Aloksak inserts. Nothing lasts forever. :p

http://www.loksak.com/products

Those hard cases are ok, but the latch can easily be hit and pop open. Same website, but I prefer these cases

http://www.waterproofcases.net/dry-pak-dpc912-waterproof-case.html

They lock closed, it takes more than a bump to open 2-4 turn locks and they have a double seal. You can get a carabeaner and clip it to your belt loop or something so you do not have to hold it while in the water, or on land even. I had my wife sew a metal key ring onto my swim trunks so I could clip it on. (Had her put one ring off my hip and another down the leg a bit so I could clip both ends on.

They have non-see through also

http://www.waterproofcases.net/dry-pak-dpg1216-waterproof-bag.html

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a locksac from a site before my cruise to Aruba/Curacao. The carabiner clip came undone while I was snorkeling and away went 2 driver's licenses, $20, ships cards. As we were on an excursion, we just proceeded back afterwards, were able to get back on board (ships computer had our pic) and were issued new ships cards. I don't mind loosing the licenses so much as they were easily replaced. If I'd had my passports lost, that would have been a big deal.

So, just make sure your pouches are very secure!

Archived