AK cruise on ms Rotterdam w/a 5 yr old

lilipad2

Hi all,

this is such a great board and has been so helpful!

My son and I will be accompanying my mom (in her 80s and not as mobile) to AK this summer on the ms Rotterdam. I was just curious if anyone has sailed on this ship w/a little guy (he'd take offence to that) or has any general advice to share.

I'm going to check out the Club HAL while we're at sea and will be taking him ashore when we're in port. He's been to camp and MDO, so I think he'll be find in the kids program. I'd still like to spend time with him at the pool (perhaps) or any other shipboard activities ya'll might recommend.

While technically he's big enough for some shore excursions, he's not old enough. So far I've found the following:

Juneau -- Mt Roberts Tram, Glacier & (cheesy perhaps) Salmon bake -- c'mon roasting marshmallows & panning for gold!! It has his name written all over it.

Sitka -- semi-sub tour & just some exploring on our own perhaps. Any other suggestions??

Ketchikan -- maybe the trolley tour, Saxman village and/or Lumberjack show??

Victoria -- my mom has her HEART set on tea at the schmancy hotel there. Not my first choice with a 5 yr old, but as long as there's food to be had, he should be ok.

thanks in advance!!

Sitka - during your exploration of the town, head out (on foot) to the totem park. Along the way is a tiny, volunteer-run touch tank aquarium (on the right, across the street from the former college). All they ask is a small donation if you so choose. Your son can actually pick up the colorful starfish, sea cucumbers, etc., and I'm sure he'll find it fascinating. We as adults sure did! Out back there are several tanks set up containing different sizes of salmon that will eventually be relased. Our volunteer guide was a young lady who was so pleasant and helpful, answering all our questions about the undersea life in the area. It was a welcome and unexpected surprise on our walk out to the Totem Park.

Sitka - during your exploration of the town, head out (on foot) to the totem park. Along the way is a tiny, volunteer-run touch tank aquarium (on the right, across the street from the former college). All they ask is a small donation if you so choose. Your son can actually pick up the colorful starfish, sea cucumbers, etc., and I'm sure he'll find it fascinating. We as adults sure did! Out back there are several tanks set up containing different sizes of salmon that will eventually be relased. Our volunteer guide was a young lady who was so pleasant and helpful, answering all our questions about the undersea life in the area. It was a welcome and unexpected surprise on our walk out to the Totem Park.

That sounds perfect!!! Thanks so much for the tip!

We just returned from the Zuiderdam with our four and one half year old daughter. We had a great time. Our itinerary is a little different than yours but here is what we did. Juneau arrived at 2:30 so we just walked around town ate at Tracy's crab shack...good!The tramway looked easy to do as well as the bus ride to Mendanhall Glacier. Skagway took the train. Bus up train down that was alot of fun and our daughter enjoyed it. In Ketchikan we took a float plane ride with Island Wings, this was the highlight of our trip and our daughter loved it. You have to book them independently however with two paying adults your child will fly free. It cost 460.00 for all three of us. They have a web site at Island Wings. Our daughter only attended club Hal twice but enjoyed it. They had a scavenger hunt one day and as you mentioned swimming. There was a cartoon channel on the TV when mom and dad where out on the veranda. She also loved her coloring book. When she got ants in her pants on sea days we would play explore the ship. It was always fun letting her trying to find her way back to the room. During explore the ship time we would stop by the Lido for an ice cream. Don't worry about the shore excursions with him we were and it turned out to be unfounded.

Your cabin should have a DVD player in it and there are DVDs available for rent in the library..... lots of suitable-for-younguns ones. So even if TV reception is bad, you can use the DVD player to help entertain him if necessary.

In Ketchikan, I'd consider the Deer Street Fish Hatchery and Raptor Rehab Center -- is a short cab ride from the dock and might be interesting to all of you -- though you know what intrigues your son better than any of us :) Otherwise, the Lumberjack Show gets good reviews from people with kids. And it is near the dock, so not a lot of walking for your mother.

If you are feeling "hardy", think about doing the Polar Bear Swim with your son in Glacier Bay, in the aft pool (outdoors). Be aware that the pool is deep, so you'll need to hold him if he can't swim on his own. They throw ice cubes into the pool. The time it is being done will be in your Daily Program.

I can only comment on Victoria. We did a tour on a double decker bus that took us to Craig Darroch Castle (which was more old big house than castle, but it was neat). Then we had tea at the Empress.

The tea was fun for the experience. We were grouped with a few other people. They served little sandwiches, and little biscuits and I think there was clotted cream. But I cannot say any of it tasted good. But it was fun. When we were done, we browsed in the gift shop. Then we walked down Government Street. I think there was a Christmas ornament store, and Rogers Chocolates. Be sure to stop there. Their Victorian cremes were huge and delicious!! I had vanilla and my husband had maple nut.

We are going to Victoria again. This time we are seeing Butchart Gardens (for us), and visiting Miniature World (for our 6 year old son). I've been told Miniature World has some little model trains.

We too had contacted Island Wings....when I asked about a reduced rate for our 6 year old, they offered us a slight discount, but took away his window seat. They were going to make him sit between the adults in the middle. I was not exactly happy about that. So instead we booked with Seawind Aviation. She gave us a family discount on all three of us. Our's isn't until May next year.

Archived