AK cruise on ms Rotterdam w/a 5 yr old (repeat from AK thread)

lilipad2

Whoops -- thought I posted this to the family thread, but it was the AK thread instead. Sorry if this is a repeat, but thought I'd ask here where all the parents are. :)

Hi all,

this is such a great board and has been so helpful!

My son and I will be accompanying my mom (in her 80s and not as mobile) to AK this summer on the ms Rotterdam. I was just curious if anyone has sailed on this ship w/a little guy (he'd take offence to that) or has any general advice to share.

I'm going to check out the Club HAL while we're at sea and will be taking him ashore when we're in port. He's been to camp and MDO, so I think he'll be find in the kids program. I'd still like to spend time with him at the pool (perhaps) or any other shipboard activities ya'll might recommend.

While technically he's big enough for some shore excursions, he's not old enough. So far I've found the following:

Juneau -- Mt Roberts Tram, Glacier & (cheesy perhaps) Salmon bake -- c'mon roasting marshmallows & panning for gold!! It has his name written all over it.

Sitka -- semi-sub tour & just some exploring on our own perhaps. Any other suggestions??

Ketchikan -- maybe the trolley tour, Saxman village and/or Lumberjack show??

Victoria -- my mom has her HEART set on tea at the schmancy hotel there. Not my first choice with a 5 yr old, but as long as there's food to be had, he should be ok.

thanks in advance!!

You will love Alaska! We cruised to Alaska three years ago when our daughters were 10 and nearly 4. (We also had my in-laws with us) We were on the Diamond Princess for that cruise but have also sailed on HAL's Eurodam and my daughters loved the kids club on both lines. There were fewer kids on HAL and the facilities were smaller but the counsellors were great and they loved it!

Of the ports of call that you are going to we were only in Ketchikan and Juneau. In Ketchikan we walked around town and then went to the Lumberjack show. It was cheesy but the kids loved it - even insisted on having their photos taken with the lumberjacks after the show. In Juneau we went on an excursion that included a whale watching boat trip and a stop at the Mendenhall glacier. Back in Juneau we went on the Mt. Robert tramway - my little one was frightened on the way up but was fine going down.

If your son likes animals try to find sled dogs - they were the highlight of the trip for both of our girls. In Skagway we did a sled dog ride (they pulled us in a dune buggy) that was crazy fun. We also did a cruise tour for 5 days after the cruise that took us to Denali where we visited Iditarod champion Jeff King's ranch and played with sled dog puppies.

Your Mom will love the Fairmont Empress Victoria - it is beautiful and they serve a lovely traditional tea. They also have Prince/Princess tea for the little ones.

Lisa

If you want to check out 'princes' tea at the Empress, here is a link:

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm

Be prepared for 'sticker-shock' at the price of tea at the Empress - it's full-on tourist season! We took our daughter there last year, and admittedly, it could be different with girls, but she just loved it (and considering we're going back to Victoria on this cruise, we've got to figure out how to avoid going back, once was enough at the price charged, no matter how good it was)...

We've got our four-year-old travelling with us to Alaska next week on the Amsterdam, and other than much of what you've got listed, we'll likely try to find some beach areas to explore on foot or a playground or two (if the opportunity presents itself). For Juneau, rather than a tour, we've gone with a car rental -giving us the flexibility at Mendenall plus the ability to go to the fish hatchery/aquarium as well.

Sitka also has the "Alaska Raptor Centre" which is supposed to be good - a short (20-min) walk from downtown at the edge of the park with the totem poles.

I took ds4 to Alaska last year. He loved it.

He did whale watching in Juneau and kayaking in Ketchikan. Both great kids tours. The Lumberjack show and sled dogs definitely look like a lot of fun for young kids. I also wish we'd done some gold panning. We've been on submarine rides and glass bottom boats before and they were not so fun.

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised the Rotterdam almost 2 years ago with our daughter(then 2.5 yo). The ship itself has a small childrens area. Unfortunately for us she was a little young and there were only 2 other children on board, so they rarely had it open with activities. We are taking a trip this fall to the MEd on princess and I already found out the number of children on board. Maybe call HAL and ask so as to prepare your son and yourself.

Though she was one of the only children the staff was very accomadating to her at meals and spoke to her all the time. He will have a blast especially at his age, if like my daughter ( now 4.5) so curious to learn about new things.

On days you are going to port order breakfast to your room and let him decide, this is fun for all. As for meals in the dining room encourage him to try new things. Cruises are the best place since you can order something else if it does not go over well. When we sailed there was not a evening kids program, though could be different in the summer and no kids menu.

Archived