parking at miami pier

maoffive

We are taking a six week vacation and our car is full of luggage, golf clubs, etc that we are not taking on the cruise. I'm worried about parking. Does anyone know if they have security at the pier. We are staying at the Hampton Inn the night before and they said we could leave the car there, I worry it may not be safe in a hotel parking lot. Can't decide what to do, any suggestions. Thanks

maoffive:

I can't comment on the security question but I can offer some suggestions for what you need to do afterwards if something comes up missing;

1. Contact the police immediately and request a report to be filed. They may not wish to do so on private property but stress that the loss is greater than $1000.00 and you'll have more leverage to get them there.

2. If hotel security shows up and insists that the police aren't needed, advise them your lawyer said to document this and begin writing up a statement to that effect, and tell the security guard you will have him/her sign it. Also mention that your insurance company will be relieved because they will be able to recoup their loss from the hotel/parking lot management. This will likely result in the security guard requesting the police for you. You really need the police report and that's your goal with the entire charade.

3. Have an inventory of all items lost ready to hand to the police when they arrive. If possible, and it is, have pictures of everything handy. Receipts for any of the items lost would be awesome as well.

4. Contact your insurance company immediately after the police to initiate the claims process.

5. If you tip anyone involved, such as hotel personel or cab drivers, etc, document that as well. Also make a note of why you tipped them. Turn the tip notes in to your insurance. The goal isn't to get the tips reimbursed; the goal is to document your deductable was met so your lost items will be covered.

6. You'll likely need glass replacement right away. Document any duct tape or window covering purchases you have to make so you'll cover more of your deductable. Don't forget to have your vehicles paint damage covered in the repair bill. The window replacement company will likely sweep out any glass but also get an interior detail on your vehicle. Glass can wreak havoc on seating surfaces if it's down in the cracks and crevices.

7. One last note on getting the police there to file a report; Tell them you don't feel safe at your vehicle. You suspect the addicts who broke in are still in the area. Not having a police report documenting your loss in the major reason for denial, or minimum coverage, of lost items by your insurance carrier. Given the amount of money insurance companies have lost in the past couple of years, they are all tightening their belts.

In regards to preventing the theft, park in a well lighted area. Store as much as you can in the trunk. Put everything else in the floor of the vehicle and cover it up. You can also purchase a length of 1/4 inch plastic wrapped cable and padlock everything together; they may still get it but it will discourage them.

We did a land/cruise vacation a few years ago, where we had quite a bit of "stuff" we left in our van when we borded our ship as well. The parking area is just to the east of the Carnival terminal, and it is fenced/gated with security. We didn't have any problems at all. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with leaving my car at the pier as opposed to the Hampton Inn. Just MHO.

Archived