Celebrity Century

jennaschoice

Bottom line, the marketplace seems to agree with me because Celebrity is pulling this ship out of the Caribbean, it is not competing well with newer nicer ships . My travel agent friend told me they are having too dump more Century inventory at cheap prices compared to the other Celebrity M class ships, HAL Princess and RCCL ships sailing out of Florida.

Your TA sounds frightening, IMO. Summit is going to Asia, does he/she have any conclusions about that? Maybe people prefer newer ships than Century, but that's across the board. HAL has a lot of early to mid 90s ships, so does Princess, so does RCI. I sailed the Century in Europe and I think she's better suited for Europe. She's too elegant for the Caribbean, IMO. Her amenities are fine, most of the features of the newer Millennium ships were introduced on the Century including: 2 tier aft dining room with picture windows, thellasotherapy pools (though Century is smaller--a good thing in this instance--and has more powerful jets), cigar club, martini/champagne bar. In terms of staterooms penthouses and royal suites first appeared on the Century. The Millennium ships really only significant improvement is the specialty dining room. Notes is a failure and will be replaced, the Summit and Constellation large observation lounge is being reworked, the conservatory isn't a feature that attracts that many. The Millennium ships have a bit better passenger space ratio and like most new ships tons of balconies, but most of their public areas and amenities were continued from what was introduced in the Century. While I'll agree there's a big step-up in quality from Horizon and Zenith to Century class, I think there's only a marginal to mild step-up from Century class to Millennium class. And I think that there are some things that are loss from Century class to Millennium, including unique style per ship, a more private and exclusive feeling thellasotherapy pool area, more dance floors, more varied deck areas that have actual teak rather than synthetic non-skid flooring, and other aspects. You make it sound too much that Century is a poor ship where she is a fine ship. I'm sorry your experience didn't show Century in her best light but polls from Century repeaters reveal that Century is Celebrity's most requested and popular ship.

For what it is worth, I just called Celebrity and they told me that the Century will be in drydock from Jan 21st to Feb 18, 2006. Sounds great to me as we have booked a SS in April 06. Just hope that is good information.

What a great ship and to have it spruced up a bit will be wonderful.

Patti

Archived