Elegant Night Question/Opinions

mruddle

This will be our fifth cruise (all on Carnival). We are on the Glory to Canada in July. On all of our other cruises we drove to the port, so luggage was not a big issue. This year we are flying (4 of us). With the new baggage fees, we are trying to consolidate as much as possible. This brings me to the question about Elegant night. Would it be too out of place if my DH and DS did not wear a jacket to dinner? They would both still wear a dress shirt and tie, but not having to travel with an extra bag for suits, would save us about $50.00 more dollars in baggage fees.

DH was appalled this last trip when I didn't pack a suit for him for elegant night due to baggage space issues. He fit in just fine though. Dress was very mixed onboard, but dress shirt and tie would probably be at or above average.. wear what works for you guys. We enjoy dressing up, but the $50 fee and hassle wasn't worth it for us either.

• 2 months later...
jackets are only suggested, not required, but wearing one is still the norm.

I think it is a stretch to say that jackets are "the norm". An infinitessimal portion of (male) passengers wear tuxes. A very small percentage (perhaps 15-20%) of men wear suits. A reasonable portion (20-30%) wear a blazer or a sport coat -- some with a tie, some without. Another reasonable portion (20-30%) wear a shirt and tie, but no jacket. That still leaves just about 50-65% that are not wearing a jacket.

I will admit that my experience is based on early seating and that the extent of formal attire did appear to increase for the late seating.

well, i'm on vacation as are all the other guests on the ship.. when i'm on vacation I want to be relaxed and comfy.. so I will wear slacks and a nice dress shirt.. but no jacket.

also, on formal nights is the food better than non formal nights or is it the same as any other night?

My husband is a suit type of guy because he wears one for work every day. He used to wear a tux or a white dinner jacket but now just brings a suit or sport coat on cruises. Your husband could wear his sportcoat on the flight with Khakis and a dress shirt or polo shirt, my husband does this, and it saves the garmet bag fee. He then just packs another pair of dress pants and a fresh shirt and tie to match the sport coat that he wore on the flight. It's a way to just bring on the flight a carryon bag and a briefcase or backpack and still have your dress clothes for elegant night.

My husband actually enjoys dressing up and usually brings a suit or sportscoat for dining room, especially on formal nights. However, in the last few years we are seeing an evolution toward more casual attire and very little formal attire. He'll be just fine with a dress shirt and tie.

Our next big cruise is a return to Hawaii. Although we fly Southwest and can bring two checked bags without fees, we'll most likely opt for "aloha attire" (washable, even) for the dining room. It just makes packing and planning so much easier!

Now that there are no more free drinks at the capt's party less and less people are getting dressed up these days.

I love Carnival and we are platinum but think Carnival screwed up big time with this.

For most people cruising has little to do with playing dress up.

I think Carnival is really on the right track with this one.

Dressing up was fun the first few cruises, after that not so much.

Times change, if you don't approve find a line this has a dress code you approve of.

They won't be denied entry, if that's what your looking for.

It all really depends how they feel if they turn out to be the "least best" dressed in your "circle".

I can live with that.

"Least best dressed" on Cruise Critic would be pretty cool.:D

Archived