madiera disaster

margotdrever

You wouldn't know anything happened, they are so dependent on tourists that they set too and got it together very quickly. There may be the odd little bit still needing finishing touches, but really it's still very beautiful.

Quite true Brian! It was a landslide and flood!

I went to Madeira for a weeks holiday a few weeks ago. Its fine now, Funchal looks the same except some cafes on the prom were washed away and the land is reclaimed at the moment with just soil on. There is building work repairs going on all over but not so you would need to worry about. For us, we had building work by our hotel where the sea level pool for example was ruined so men there repairing the pool so we couldn't use that one. Luckily our hotel had other outside pools. At the Palace gardens at Monte at the top of the cable car, some damage in one area, when we were eating old in the old town, men were repairing a lido area, so more noise for us. If you are just on a day trip there off a cruise you will have no problems atall. Especially when you are going in 4 months time, I would expect by then all the repair work would be finished.

What do you plan to do in Madeira?

• 3 weeks later...
Quite true Brian! It was a landslide and flood!

I went to Madeira for a weeks holiday a few weeks ago. Its fine now, Funchal looks the same except some cafes on the prom were washed away and the land is reclaimed at the moment with just soil on. There is building work repairs going on all over but not so you would need to worry about. For us, we had building work by our hotel where the sea level pool for example was ruined so men there repairing the pool so we couldn't use that one. Luckily our hotel had other outside pools. At the Palace gardens at Monte at the top of the cable car, some damage in one area, when we were eating old in the old town, men were repairing a lido area, so more noise for us. If you are just on a day trip there off a cruise you will have no problems atall. Especially when you are going in 4 months time, I would expect by then all the repair work would be finished.

What do you plan to do in Madeira?

thanks for your info,we do a lot of snorkeling and like seeing how the local people live away from the tourist traps. any other good info?thanks again,.....mike.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to madeira on 4th June..... we did a taxi tour, which was fantastic, you can still see some of the landslides in the countryside but nothing really in Funchal. It's all fixed up now.... Choose a taxi tour rather than excursion, it's cheaper and more flexible. Taxis can go where the tour buses can't. When you come out of the port look right and you will see all the taxis lined up in 3 lines.... prebooked, tours and taxis into town. If only all ports were this organised, it would be great! Jo x

Can anyone tell me how far this ship will be from the town - is it walkable?? Also, I fancied the basket rides but didn't really want to do an all day trip that includes them. Can you get a basket ride yourself???

Thanks

Mike

Yes Funchal promenade is walkable from the ship, and they still do free shuttle coaches as well I believe.

Walk along the prom, and you will see the cable car station and cable cars going up the mountain. Go in and buy your ticket - a single if you want to go down on the sledge, a return if you want to take the cable car both ways. There is also a ticket which includes the gardens at Monte which are the main attraction at the top of the Mountain and a must.

p1010374tt.jpg

Archived