Photo review: Carnival Valor 6/13/2010

cyntil8ing

This was our second annual family cruise. It was me, my husband and our two children, ages 6 and 4.

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale around 6:00pm Saturday. We had reserved transportation to our hotel with SAS. While we were waiting for our luggage, they called and told us where to meet them, just outside the baggage claim. We walked outside and the driver arrived within 2 minutes. It was prompt, courteous service to our hotel in downtown Miami.

We pricelined downtown Miami 4-stars and got the Hyatt Regency for $65. At check-in, we were given a king suite on the 16th floor. It was clean and comfortable and I was very satisfied.

DSC_1141.JPG

DSC_1142.JPG

Sunday morning, we grabbed a continental breakfast in the hotel lobby. We took a taxi to the Port of Miami (cost $12) around 11:30. The luggage handlers outside were too busy yelling at each other to notice us. Finally, a supervisor pointed us out and the porter finally took our luggage. Then he had the nerve to ask for a tip! We gave him just enough to insult him.

Inside, we waited in line for about 15 minutes to get to the self-serve kiosk. We had no issues using the kiosk, except it didn't recognize our credit card. We scanned DH's passport instead and it found the booking. Then we scanned everyone else's passport. Total time, about 3 minutes. We waited another minute or two to pick up our sign and sail cards. We were all listed as MR. This was an issue because my husband and son have the same name so there was no way to tell their cards apart. Once on-board, we waited in a short line at guest services to have it all corrected. My son was now MSTR. Unfortunately, the cards were mixed up as my son's card had my husband's photo and vice-versa. On a port day, we got it fixed on the gangway.

We grabbed some lunch and went up to the Fish and Chips area to eat. No one had discovered this area yet. We hung out until the rooms were opened at 1:30.

IMG_0715.JPG

Here are some sailaway photos. South Beach was crowded!

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1171.JPG

DSC_1172.JPG

Our roll call was dead. We tried setting up a meet and greet, but no one ever responded. Regardless, we went to the spot at the appointed time and waited 15 minutes for no one to show up.

My daughter and I went to tea time that afternoon. It was very nice, but sparsely attended.

The captain's celebration ($1 off drinks) that evening had us sharing smoothies and cocktails.

DSC_1210.JPG

DSC_1214.JPG

DSC_1218.JPG

This was the first elegant evening.

We booked the Nativeways Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. This was a great tour! There were only about 18 of us.

First stop, Stingray City. My kids were a bit freaked out and got in the water only long enough to get their pictures taken.

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

The next stop was the snorkeling stop. The kids wouldn't get off the boat, still a bit unnerved by the rays, so I just paddled around near the boat. My husband went further and got some great photos.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

Finally, the Rum Point stop. This was a beautiful place! The stop included lunch, but I wasn't feeling well so I passed. The kids were too anxious to get in the water, so they passed too. DH had the conch fritters and said they were ok. We ate at picnic tables right on the beach. The birds will definitely steal fries if they're left unattended.

DSC_1287.JPG

DSC_1297.JPG

DSC_1307.JPG

DSC_1312.JPG

DSC_1319.JPG

DSC_1344.JPG

After attempting to dock at Mahogany Bay, the winds forced us to Coxen Hole. This didn't effect us as we had a tour with Victor Bodden booked. They did extend our time an hour because of the delay in docking. This ended up being a very good thing for us!

We were matched up with our driver and into our car within minutes of getting of the ship. He was a nice young man, a little on the quiet side. We enjoyed our day with him. He took us to the eastern side of the island, then to lunch and finally to a beach.

All of the driving was a bit much for the kids and they started getting restless. They loved the restaurant and the beach and we probably should have just done that instead of the full tour.

Our driver was nearby, but left us to ourselves on the beach. We realized it was probably getting late so we went to go find him. Turned out, it really WAS late and we had to rush some. Had the ship not extended the departure time, we would have likely missed the ship. Instead, we had about 20 minutes for speed shopping at the port for our refrigerator magnet and post-cards. I had expected our guide to have been more in control of the time for us.

Approaching Coxen Hole:

DSC_1356.JPG

The town of Coxen Hole:

DSC_1392.JPG

Tending the banana trees:

DSC_1404.JPG

1960's ship wreck:

DSC_1411.JPG

The restaurant:

DSC_1507.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

There weren't really any kid-friendly tours we found in Belize and after dragging them around Roatan the previous day, we decided to sleep in and just to wander around the port and let them do some shopping. We did stop at the Wet Lizard for some orange soda and salsa. My DH had a Belikin beer and we tried the ceviche. We were back on the ship in the early afternoon.

DSC_1796.JPG

It was a LONG tender ride

DSC_1825.JPG

An appropriate name! I've never seen a fan this big.

DSC_1830.JPG

DSC_1834.JPG

DH leaving our mark at the Wet Lizard

DSC_1839.JPG

DSC_1843.JPG

DD went to Camp Carnival and DH, DS, and I explored the ship. It was so hot and the pools were so crowded that apart from an hour spent at the kiddie pool on the first sea day, we never spent any time outside. We missed mini-golf. Late that night, DH went out exploring with his camera.

DSC_2065.JPG

DSC_2081.JPG

DSC_2093.JPG

DSC_2116.JPG

DSC_2121.JPG

DSC_2126.JPG

Of the three Carnival cruises I've taken, this was my least favorite. The ship was just too big and too crowded for my taste. My other cruises were on the Imagination and the Pride. The ports were great. I enjoyed Cozumel this time. Last time, I didn't because we just wandered around. The weather, as is expected with a mid-June cruise in the Caribbean, was HOT.

On board, the service was good; not super. We never met our room steward! He kept our room clean, but we never saw him. In the dining room, we were at a booth just the four of us and I really missed having dining companions. Our waiter was efficient enough (except for the cappuccino issue) but he insisted on calling our son by the wrong name despite correction. He and the assistant waiter did not get along and it was evident.

We attended some of the shows and enjoyed them. DD loved the magician. DH and I thought he was just ok. The comedian was good, but used material we've all heard many times before. I don't really find stories of kids getting beat by their parents to be funny. And five minutes of fart jokes? Really!

How old are your kids? We are taking this same itinerary and ship in September 11 and bringing along our 3 year old son.

Thanks! Glad you liked them. The kids are 6 and 4. The four year old didn't want to spend much time in Camp Carnival. Last year, he enjoyed it more. I suspect it's because the two of them were together in the 3-5 group. This time, he was on his own.

Bringing back memories of my recent Valor cruise (january 2010) - see review with pics in link below.

Question re cozumel - did you go to Chankanaab with a ship excursion or on your own? How long were you there? I heard it was 'rocky' getting into the water?

Also I am always curious when I hear someone say they never actually met their room steward! ON all my cruises the steward eventually shows up - 1st day/evening.....always asks which dinner seating - and I actually have to SIGN a sheet indicating that we have met I guess? I wonder what happens with room stewards who don't get you to sign their sheet?

Bringing back memories of my recent Valor cruise (january 2010) - see review with pics in link below.

Question re cozumel - did you go to Chankanaab with a ship excursion or on your own? How long were you there? I heard it was 'rocky' getting into the water?

Also I am always curious when I hear someone say they never actually met their room steward! ON all my cruises the steward eventually shows up - 1st day/evening.....always asks which dinner seating - and I actually have to SIGN a sheet indicating that we have met I guess? I wonder what happens with room stewards who don't get you to sign their sheet?

Yes, I remember reading your review while I was waiting.

We just took a taxi to Chankanaab. It was $10 fixed price each way. We also got a discount coupon for the park admission online. We got a late start, getting there a little before noon. We stayed until 3:15. There were steps going down into the water at many spots.

And I've never had to sign anything for my room steward.

Your photos are sooo beautiful. Where was the lovely pool with fountain in Cozumel? I'm planning a surprise Imagination cruise with dh next year for our 25th anniversary. What did you think of that cruise? Did you do a review?

The pool was at Chankanaab. We really enjoyed our Imagination cruise. I did not write a review, but here is a link to my photo album for it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cyntil8ing/Cruise2008

Archived