Halifax on Canada Day

I just realized that the Carnival Glory(with me on it:D) will be in Halifax on Canada Day. I'm really excited because I had planned on just taking a walking tour of the city and the added festivities should make my time in Halifax even more memorable.

Do any locals have any suggestions on what to check out or what to avoid? The hrmcanadaday website has been very helpful so far. I plan on eating some free pancakes, watching a parade, and listening to some bands. I'd love to hear about any lesser known traditions too. Any tips?

Canada Day is July 1st, next Thursday. It's going to be crazy down on the waterfront that day, plenty to do. You'll be amongst some pretty impressive military ships in the harbour, including the aircraft carrier the USS Wasp. Some of these ships will be open for tours. We are currently hosting an International Fleet Review as part of the 100 Anniversary of the Canadian Navy. http://halifaxifr.ca/en/Home/tabid/61/Default.aspx

There will be fireworks that night but you'll likely be long gone by the time they start. It will be very busy but still a good day to be on the waterfront in Halifax. Be sure to take in the Maritime Museum while you're there.

I look forward to being down there that day!

There will be fireworks that night but you'll likely be long gone by the time they start.

Yeah, I'm a little bummed about that. The ship leaves at 7pm Atlantic time and the fireworks start at 10pm. If Carnival were smart, they would go really really slow leaving the port so we could see the fireworks from a reasonable distance. You figure it takes about an hour to maneuver out of port anyway and I'm sure the extra 2 hours could be made up Friday on our sea day. It would be a great gesture but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Fleet Review. Sounds like a great attraction. I'm going to have a busy day ahead of me in Halifax. Wish I could stay an extra day to see Peggy Cove also, but maybe next time.

Archived