Do cruise (state)rooms have kettles?!

ajn1982

Hi

Yet another newbie question ...

All UK hotels, guest houses etc. (don't know about cruise ships!) will have kettles for guests to make their own hot drinks. Do US cruise ships (we're using Celebrity Mercury)? A Google search seems to suggest that although some - perhaps most - don't, some do.

Thanks!

No.

Some have coffee makers though, so I guess you could just heat up water that way?

Or have room service bring some hot water.

Easiest = We would just send hubby up to buffet to get us hot water for cocoa. hahaha He was speedy and free -- no tipping required. :D

Thanks, BayStateGuppy. Celebrity's website doesn't mention anything about coffee machines, so I guess they don't provide them.

The DW (correct terminology?!) doesn't get going without a couple of coffees to kick-start her first thing, so I guess it'll be me collecting hot water from the buffet for her! BTW, don't the cruise lines mind folk just collecting hot water like this?

Thanks again!

No they don't mind. But really, I would just order room service. There is no extra charge, except for a small tip. Room service is one of the things I really look forward to on a cruise!:D

Hair dryers and electric shavers and TVs are about the only electric things allowed in cabins (refrigerators in some)..................no, kettles aren't allowed...........or irons, etc.

Fire is the worst thing that can happen aboard a ship, hence the safety rules.

You will have a GRAND time!:p

Oh, this is just for morning coffee before you head out of the cabin for breakfast?

Then by all means, order room service as the others stated.

Fresh hot coffee delivered to your room.

For free (but give the crewmember a dollar or two tip)

No worries. No effort.

This is what cruising is all about.

Relax..... you're on vacation.

:)

Hi

Yet another newbie question ...

All UK hotels, guest houses etc. (don't know about cruise ships!) will have kettles for guests to make their own hot drinks. Do US cruise ships (we're using Celebrity Mercury)? A Google search seems to suggest that although some - perhaps most - don't, some do.

Thanks!

I have not found anything that prevents you from bringing your own "auto-off" kettle. I'm leaving soon and plan on taking a small kettle in my checked bag along with a melita coffee cone/filters, tea bags and hot choc mix. I want coffee the second my feet hit the floor in the morning and a second cup while I put on make up. If I want to sit on the balcony with a cup of hot tea in the afternoon, it's available and is piping hot, not lukewarm as it frequently comes from room service. The kettle I have heats to boiling in less than a minute and then automatically cuts off. It is much safer than my curling iron, which never shuts off unless it's unplugged. I will unplug the kettle when not in use, for additional safety.

**** I will be using a standard US voltage, so there won't be converters involved****

If you do a search on the princess forum, you will find many opinions, but none that post anything in the passenger contract that prohibits it. (Irons are not allowed.) Here is one example of someone who did take their kettle without problems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24662006

Your own kettle is not on the allowed list. In fact they are forbidden.

Honestly, I have looked every where and can not find one single word about kettles not being allowed on Princess ships. Please tell me where you are getting your information? I have searched the princess site using "kettle", "teapot", "coffee maker", and "water heater". I have found info on irons and steamers not being allowed. :confused:

Thanks, all, for your helpful comments.

My DW is definitely with 5326jan in that she likes her morning coffee hot and fresh, but judging from your comments here, bringing a kettle looks fraught with problems (not least that we'd have to cart it from the UK, and use an adaptor), so I guess we'll go with the room service option.

Incidentally, we've pre-paid tips, so I assume we won't 'need' to tip again?!

Thanks, all, for your helpful comments.

Incidentally, we've pre-paid tips, so I assume we won't 'need' to tip again?!

Asking about tipping can bring up lots of "opinions"..............most people we know tip the Room Service people.

I just keep an envelope full on ones right inside the closet so it's handy. If we get bkfst. delivered we tip $2.00 or more, depending on how huge the order is!

I notice many people say they tip $5.00 for dinner service but I can't remember ever ordering dinner IN,..............am sure you will get many answers.;)

Coffee on HAL comes HOT in chrome, insulated servers; we've never had a problem. I get HOT water as well for my tea.

Archived