Thinking of booking Carnival Pride...special dietary needs?

hardingk

I am new to Carnival as I have only been on RCL and Celebrity. Could someone tell me how the food compares and if they cater to special dietary needs? DH is SEVERALLY lactose intolerant and worried about if Carinval can meet his dietary needs.

Does anyone have an expereince with this and does anyone have any feedback on the Pride that they can tell me about? Thanks!!

I do not have personal experience, however, I have heard on these boards to notify the ship before hand.

When on the Pride last year, we were waiting in line to see the maitre dee to change our table assignment and there was a family in front of us. Thier daughter was allergic to wheat products and I know that the maitre dee said it was no problem that they would accomodate her. I also saw a family who appeared to be from India who were served vegetarian indian food every night complete with rice and nan. So, I believe the lactose intolerant can be accomodated also with some advance planning.

I always book directly with a Carnival PVP, and she has always asked me if I have any special dietary requirement. In the big Carnival brochure, there is a section on just that. They are very accommodating.

I am also lactose intollerant - no milk products of any kind. I can, however, tolerate breads (which might have traces of milk product).

Carnival has been great with me to help me figure out what I should and shouldn't eat. It can be difficult at times, but well worth the effort. The good news is when you can't eat all the ooey gooey stuff you don't gain the weight that some people do.

Call 800-438-6744 ext 70025 and give the person your booking number and what your husband's needs are. They will code his file (they used to have me fill out a form - my last two cruises - this upcoming cruise all I had to do was call).

On the first day of the cruise you should visit the maitre d' and let him know about your DH's needs. The dining room hostess should then work with you/him to help decide what he can and can't eat. Many times they work with you the night before for the next day and help choose meals for you. They can also tell you what has milk product in it.

They can offer him soy milk if he uses that.

The most difficult part is the buffet. It is difficult sometimes to find out what is in some dishes. If he's like me, you just avoid the stuff you can't be sure of.

I haven't had any problems on my last two cruises and I don't expect any problems on my upcoming cruise.

Don't know about your DH, but since I was told I had to follow a strict lactose free diet, I have to choose a lot of healthier stuff. But then again, we all know fries don't have milk product and that's a dangerous substitute for me!

I hope this helps.

CityWoman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagination April 2002

Paradise April 2003

Paradise October 2003

Paradise May 2004

Victory November 2004

Victory May 2005

Thanks City Woman. You are just like my husband!! Do you know if they carry Lactaid brand milk on the ship? We usually bring some just to make sure.

Thanks for all the info! It really helped and we are almost sure we will book the Carnival Pride over RCL for the first time!

I don't know about the Lactaid milk. My diet doesn't allow me to have any kind of "milk" so I never had to ask.

Yes to soy milk.

I bring along my own CoffeeMate creamer for my coffee.

CityWoman

Lactaid Milk is milk that has the Lactase enzyme added to it so lactose intolerant people can drink regular milk.

Archived