Progresso port - better than I expected!

kimmi5207

So I must admit - I was dreading Progresso, after reading some reviews. I thought there would be nothing to do in this port of call. That it would be boring for the kids and I.

For my 7th cruise, I felt like I was taking a step backwards, just visiting Progresso and Cozumel. Due to some family circumstances, I had to cancel the cruise I originally booked out of San Juan, and cruise the Western Caribbean out of Galveston.

Well, my worries were in vain - I enjoyed our stop in Progresso! I will never pre-judge a port of call again. I took a tour (only $19/pp) in which we visited the natural salt flats (sounds boring but it wasn't - even my 17 year old and 5 year old were enthralled), viewed the flamingos in their natural habitat (i.e. not a zoo or bird sanctuary), and visited Xcambo, in which we climbed to the top, took beautiful photos, etc. It wasn't one of the huge mayan ruins, but it also wasn't a 7 hour round trip (with 2 kids!). We also did a bus tour of one of the small towns nearby.

Next time I need a quick get away, or just want to save money on airfare, I will definitely cruise the Western Caribbean again. I really want to go back and visit Merida.

Thanks. I booked thru Autoprogresso once they dropped us off at the market. Nowadays I tend to only book ship excursions if the time frame will be tight, or if it's something really unique offered thru the ship. I either book in advance somewhere online, or find something once I get off the ship.

My niece was free (she was 5) so it was only $38 for the 3 of us. We arrived too late for some of the other tours (we had an early 3pm departure and needed to be back on the ship by 2:30pm-didn't arrive in town until around 10:30 am)

I know of some people who have been scared off from the cruises with Progresso as a port of call, so I wanted to post and let people know that in my opinion, it was an enjoyable port of call.

We left at around 11am (there were earlier tours that left - we just didn't arrive into town until around 10:30am). They returned us directly to the ship around 1:45 or 2pm.

Originally when we boarded the bus, there were just 7 of us, but prior to leaving, they managed to recruite about 10-15 others. It really did not seem crowded at all. The bus for the tour was air conditioned (you will be grateful for that - it was very hot and humid and I'm from Texas). The buses from the pier to the little town center/shopping plaza aren't air conditioned, but the windows were open and with the speed, it felt cool.

We just returned from our stop at Progreso and enjoyed our stay there. We went on the Dzibilchaltun Ruin tour, took the double-decker bus to tour downtown, $3 per person, and shopped at the flea market where the shuttle from pier to downtown drop off - this is also the locaton for our starting point of the Dzibilchaltun tour. Dzibilchaltun is just right for us, as the ride out there is only 1/2 hour and we are able to climb the ruins. We find the prices at the shops right by the pier comparable to, or at times even better than the price at the flea market. There are also more different choices.

We just returned from our stop at Progreso and enjoyed our stay there. We went on the Dzibilchaltun Ruin tour, took the double-decker bus to tour downtown, $3 per person, and shopped at the flea market where the shuttle from pier to downtown drop off - this is also the locaton for our starting point of the Dzibilchaltun tour. Dzibilchaltun is just right for us, as the ride out there is only 1/2 hour and we are able to climb the ruins. We find the prices at the shops right by the pier comparable to, or at times even better than the price at the flea market. There are also more different choices.

How long was the Dzibilchaltun Ruin tour? I was hoping to do a tour in the morning and then have a little time in the afternoon to hang out on the beach and get a massage. Do you think there would be time for that?

Thanks,

Francie

Yes, you will have time to go to the beach and have massage done after the tour.

Due to hurricane Alex, our port of call schedule was slightly altered. In lieu of being at Progreso on Day 3, we flip-flopped with Cozumel, and were at Progreso from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. as opposed to the regular schedule of 7 am to 4 pm. We were off the boat by 8:30, took the shuttle from the pier to downtown. At downtown, we took a double-decker bus tour of the city, at which they show you where to eat and where to get a massage on the beach, etc. Afterward, we shopped at the flea market area before boarding the air-conditioned bus to Dz ruin tour. You can leave all your shopping bags at the bus while you tour Dz tour. The bus driver locked the door after everyone depart from the bus to the tour. Our tour starts at 11:15 am (under the normal schedule, it would have been 10:15) outside of the flea market area and depart from DZ @ 2:30 pm. back to town. We have approximately 2-1/2 hr. for the ruin tour. We were given an option to either be dropped off at the Boulevard or back at the ship after the tour. People that chose to get off can easily walk to the beach from there, and to nearby restaurants for some Mexican food. If you choose not to get off there, they will take you directly back to the pier (skip taking the shuttle from downtown to the pier). We were back at the pier slightly after 3 p.m., did 1 more hour of shopping before heading back onto Triumph before the requested back on board time of 4:30 pm for our 5 pm sailing.

You should have slightly over a hour for hanging out at the beach and the massage before walking back to the flea market for their shuttle back to the ship. In your case, you will need to get back on board at 3:30 pm for 4 pm departure, which translate to taking the 3:20 pm shuttle from flea market area back to pier. As you should be back from your 10:15 am DZ tour @ approximately 2 pm. The shuttle runs every 20 mins. and the traveling time between flea market area and pier is 10 mins.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stop in Progreso. I've been there twice and made sure we did something different both times. I will be there again next summer and hope to finally get to see Merida.

Last month I took the Uxmal tour through Autoprogreso and really enjoyed it. I'm not really into history, but my 18 yr old neice is. She LOVED the ruins. It was a long ride (1.5 hrs each way), but we sat at the front of the bus and got to ask the tour guide questions along the way. We had a great tour guide. The only downside was we had to be back on the ship by 2:30p. Since the tour had to meet at 8am we didn't have any time to walk around Progreso. Oh well..there's always next year :)

Kimmi: Glad to hear that you had a good time in my favorite port. Next time definetly check out Merida. Great town with much to do and see. Especially if you can spend a few days in the area.

Hi Michael, I'd love to hear what makes Progreso your favorite port. And your suggestions of what to do when you're there for a day on a cruise.

Thanks in advance,

Francie

Archived