Fundy National Park

More than 30 years ago, I went camping in Fundy NP. I have fond memories of a place called Wolf Point, with a covered bridge and a log dam that created a tall waterfall at low tide. I want my wife and kids to see the park when we visit St. John in August on the Caribbean Princess. Before I shell out $500 for Princess's excursion, I wanted to check whether anyone knows of good alternatives among reputable local tour operators.

Thanks,

Lee

More than 30 years ago, I went camping in Fundy NP. I have fond memories of a place called Wolf Point, with a covered bridge and a log dam that created a tall waterfall at low tide. I want my wife and kids to see the park when we visit St. John in August on the Caribbean Princess. Before I shell out $500 for Princess's excursion, I wanted to check whether anyone knows of good alternatives among reputable local tour operators.

Thanks,

Lee

I would rent a car and do it yourself - so you can take your family exactly to your place of memory and do it affordably on your own schedule. It is only 1.25 hours drive from port (no complicated route - pretty straight forward with new 4 lane highway). I would go into village of Alma for a world famous sticky bun from the bakery. If renting/driving is not for you, www.freedomtours.com is well known and reputable. Hope you make out OK with plans.

I would rent a car and do it yourself - so you can take your family exactly to your place of memory and do it affordably on your own schedule. It is only 1.25 hours drive from port (no complicated route - pretty straight forward with new 4 lane highway). I would go into village of Alma for a world famous sticky bun from the bakery. If renting/driving is not for you, www.freedomtours.com is well known and reputable. Hope you make out OK with plans.

Oh wow, a native! Nice to meet you Acey. I am considering driving to the park and want to weigh all options. When we cruised the Inside Passage, I opted to rent a car in Skagway. I love telling people that I've driven to the Yukon Territory...

Freedom Tours, as far as I can tell, doesn't have an Fundy NP package, only a Hopewell Rocks excursion that presumable lets you see some of the park.

Thanks again. I'll do some research on driving and may come back with more questions.

Lee

Freedom Tours, as far as I can tell, doesn't have an Fundy NP package, only a Hopewell Rocks excursion that presumable lets you see some of the park.

Lee

We had a tour with Freedom Tours last October to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail. Did you e-mail them and ask them to send you their file of 2010 Cruise Ship Tours? They really do give a wonderful private tour.

When I was in Moncton a few years ago I had a very good experience with Roads to Sea guided tours, and taking a quick look at Trip Advisor I see that the company continues to earn only the highest marks for service. The company does provide tours for cruise ship passengers, though you might want to see if it is practicable to arrange for a custom tour so as to focus on the specifics you're looking for at Fundy Nat'l Park.

http://www.roads2sea.com

We were in St. John's last week and rented a car with Enterprise. A driver picked us up and took us to the office, loaded us with maps, and off we went. We got to St. martin's to take pictures at high tide and then drove up the fundy parkway. We drove the entire length making many stops, then returned to the sea caves, had lunch and took pictures at low tide and returned car. We still had time to be dropped off at city market to explore. A great day! Beware of possible fog. We drove through an area of dense fog.

In Halifax we booked with Halifax Taxi Tours and would highly recomend them. We had a 4 hour tour of Peggy's Cove, Halifax highlights, and walked through Titanic Cemetery. Our driver dropped us off at the Theodore Tugboat and we took our time strolling back to ship. Plus we had an amazing lobster lunch at a retail shop. They have picnic tables outside. You pick your lobster and they cook it for you, even crack the lobster for you. This was a few miles past Peggy's Cove. Reyers Lobster Retail.

We were in St. John's last week and rented a car with Enterprise. A driver picked us up and took us to the office, loaded us with maps, and off we went. We got to St. martin's to take pictures at high tide and then drove up the fundy parkway. We drove the entire length making many stops, then returned to the sea caves, had lunch and took pictures at low tide and returned car. We still had time to be dropped off at city market to explore. A great day! Beware of possible fog. We drove through an area of dense fog.

In Halifax we booked with Halifax Taxi Tours and would highly recomend them. We had a 4 hour tour of Peggy's Cove, Halifax highlights, and walked through Titanic Cemetery. Our driver dropped us off at the Theodore Tugboat and we took our time strolling back to ship. Plus we had an amazing lobster lunch at a retail shop. They have picnic tables outside. You pick your lobster and they cook it for you, even crack the lobster for you. This was a few miles past Peggy's Cove. Reyers Lobster Retail.

Thanks for the great tips. I've decided to rent a car from Avis. We'll be driving all the way to the national park but I'm hoping that there will time to see St. Martin on the way back.

Acey or anyone else who knows, how much longer will be the return drive from Fundy NP if we use 111 instead of Highway 1?

2harts, did your Halifax tour stop at the Citadel? That's what I'm most interested in, and the excursion I'm considering (Essential Halifax) includes express passes.

Lee

Thanks for the great tips. I've decided to rent a car from Avis. We'll be driving all the way to the national park but I'm hoping that there will time to see St. Martin on the way back.

Acey or anyone else who knows, how much longer will be the return drive from Fundy NP if we use 111 instead of Highway 1?

2harts, did your Halifax tour stop at the Citadel? That's what I'm most interested in, and the excursion I'm considering (Essential Halifax) includes express passes.

Lee

Back to Saint John via 111 thru St. Martins will by my estimates add an additional 1:15 to 1:30 - rural roads with a speed limit of 80 (50 mph).

I LOVE Fundy Park , the orginal covered bridge at Point Wolfe in Fundy National Park was destroyed but they built a replica. The Damn is long gone however and the river runs freely now. We live an hour from the Park and were camping there last week. The 'Dickson Falls' trail in the park ( which is along the way to Point Wolfe is a must if you go. It is a short but beautiful little walk ).

I have said this before on the forum and feel silly to repeat it again. But i LOVE the Fundy Trail Parkway which is just 10 k.m. past Saint Martins. If we were given the choice on a sunny day , having spent time at both places and loving both places, we would spend the day at the Parkway. We would do a few trails there and enjoy a lunch at the many picnic spots. Google the 'Fundy Trail Parkway' for their site and check it out.

If you end up at Fundy which will be beautiful as well of course. Do walk Dickson Falls trail, and then the very short 'Shiphaven Trail' walk at Point Wolfe. Alma is just outside the park. I recommend going to Kelly's Bakery ( on the main street there ) and getting a 'Sticky Bun' they are famous for them. SOO yummy when fresh. If you are eating a meal when in Fundy, there is a 'dive' called ' The Fundy Takeout' by the bridge. We always make it a point to stop there for a meal when camping in the park. If you are picking up Lobster we prefer the lobster from 'Colin's Lobster Shop' in Alma ( There are at least 3 lobster stops in Alma ). Colin's lobster is a tad bit saltier than the other's we find, and it is so yummy that way.

I hope you enjoy your Saint John stop ! And that the weather co-operates with you I am sure whatever you get do to will be wonderful !

I LOVE Fundy Park , the orginal covered bridge at Point Wolfe in Fundy National Park was destroyed but they built a replica. The Damn is long gone however and the river runs freely now. We live an hour from the Park and were camping there last week. The 'Dickson Falls' trail in the park ( which is along the way to Point Wolfe is a must if you go. It is a short but beautiful little walk ).

I have said this before on the forum and feel silly to repeat it again. But i LOVE the Fundy Trail Parkway which is just 10 k.m. past Saint Martins. If we were given the choice on a sunny day , having spent time at both places and loving both places, we would spend the day at the Parkway. We would do a few trails there and enjoy a lunch at the many picnic spots. Google the 'Fundy Trail Parkway' for their site and check it out.

If you end up at Fundy which will be beautiful as well of course. Do walk Dickson Falls trail, and then the very short 'Shiphaven Trail' walk at Point Wolfe. Alma is just outside the park. I recommend going to Kelly's Bakery ( on the main street there ) and getting a 'Sticky Bun' they are famous for them. SOO yummy when fresh. If you are eating a meal when in Fundy, there is a 'dive' called ' The Fundy Takeout' by the bridge. We always make it a point to stop there for a meal when camping in the park. If you are picking up Lobster we prefer the lobster from 'Colin's Lobster Shop' in Alma ( There are at least 3 lobster stops in Alma ). Colin's lobster is a tad bit saltier than the other's we find, and it is so yummy that way.

I hope you enjoy your Saint John stop ! And that the weather co-operates with you I am sure whatever you get do to will be wonderful !

O,

I appreciate all the detailed recommendations. I'm sad the dam from my childhood is gone, but its only real value was as a visual aid for seeing tide differences, and we won't be around long enough to notice. Will try to make time for Fundy Takeout or Colin's. How long are the trail hikes you mention?

Lee

O,

I appreciate all the detailed recommendations. I'm sad the dam from my childhood is gone, but its only real value was as a visual aid for seeing tide differences, and we won't be around long enough to notice. Will try to make time for Fundy Takeout or Colin's. How long are the trail hikes you mention?

Lee

Dickson Falls Trail is a loop and the shortest loop would take 30 min or less ( or more if you are taking the perfect photo of the falls ). It is less than a mile long. And ShipHaven is even shorter less than half a mile , it gives coastal views and is worth doing even though it is so short.

I know your time is short , but 20 minutes from Alma is also 'Cape Enrage' which Frommer's travel guide listed it as one of the 'Best Views in Canada'. Not on a foggy / rainy day though. If that fit's in time wise and the weather is nice I highly recommend it. ( Waterside Beach is a spot between Alma and Cape Enrage. It is a flat , sand , crescent beach , where if the tide is on its way in you can see the tide moving inward along the nearly flat beach. It is really fun to see. It is not clearly marked but it is hard to miss , but you can always ask at the info centre in Fundy Nat. Park.

I Hope you have great weather and find something to hang some new memories on.

Ob, you are killing me with all these new must-sees. Just watch, I'm going to end up hiring a plane to take us from Moncton to Halifax so we can catch the ship at its next port after spending all the extra time seeing everything there is to see on the Fundy NB coast in one day! :eek:

Seriously, thank you. If we can efficiently complete sightseeing at Point Wolf and Dickson Falls, along with a meal, I may give Cape Enrage a shot.

Lee

Thanks for confirming my ideas for Saint John. I've already got a rental car reserved in Saint John and plan to drive Saint Martins, and see the sea caves - I think we should arrive at low tide. Then, we'll wander the Fundy Parkway, have lunch (lobster sounds great, maybe with a sticky bun for dessert), and check out the water level again by the sea caves to see how much it's risen.

Does this sound like a good plan? How easy is it to find the sea caves and walk down to them?

If we have any free time, I want to go to City Market in Saint John for more food. Anything else you'd recommend in Saint John (not that we'll have much time)?

My other question - what should we do if it's foggy? Is going to Saint Martin and the Fundy Parkway a bad idea in the fog? Thanks.

Piratesmate, I am also deciding what to do from St. John in a rental car. I keep going back and forth between St. Martin/fundy trail and St. Andrews. We will be there during high tide.The drive through the park to Alma was a suggestion I never heard before and looked interesting especially being able to have a lobster lunch. I did a mapquest from Alma to St. John and it's 88 miles. Keep in mind the distances and allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Lee,

You can customize your tour to your desires. Our driver with Halifax Taxi Tours was Brian. Send them an email telling them exactly what you want to see and they will email you back with info. I know you won't be disappointed. In St. John's we rented car with Enterprise. We drove to St. Martins and did the Fundy Trail Parkway as far as you can go. Eventually, it will connect with Fundy National Park. It was a foggy day when we were there. We still had a great time. There is a suspension bridge by the visitors center.

St. Martins is very small. We enjoyed the sea caves.

Have a great trip,

Kathy

:)

Thanks for confirming my ideas for Saint John. I've already got a rental car reserved in Saint John and plan to drive Saint Martins, and see the sea caves - I think we should arrive at low tide. Then, we'll wander the Fundy Parkway, have lunch (lobster sounds great, maybe with a sticky bun for dessert), and check out the water level again by the sea caves to see how much it's risen.

Does this sound like a good plan? How easy is it to find the sea caves and walk down to them?

If we have any free time, I want to go to City Market in Saint John for more food. Anything else you'd recommend in Saint John (not that we'll have much time)?

My other question - what should we do if it's foggy? Is going to Saint Martin and the Fundy Parkway a bad idea in the fog? Thanks.

This sounds like a great plan. I don't think you can miss the Sea Caves. You will see them from the main road after driving through the main part of the village ( after crossing the covered bridge ). There are a couple of restaurants on the beach in front of them. If it is warm you can bring your swim suit and swim in the deep river swimming hole when you cross the suspension foot bridge along the parkway.

( Sorry for the delay in replying I was on my Cruise :D )

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd check back in to tell you how it went when we visited St. John on the Caribbean Princess August 18. Our trip to Fundy NP seems to be fairly unusual, at least for posters on this board. And that's understandable, given the park's distance from St. John. And for all I know the scenery at the park is no better than what you can see at St. Martin/Fundy Parkway, a drive of less than half the distance to the National Park.

That said, I'm very pleased with the results of trip and thankful for the help I received on this board. I got the experience I wanted, showing my kids sights that have remained in my memory for 33 years.

Knowing it would be a long day, I made sure we were among the first passengers off the ship. A couple of parties beat us to the Avis office about two blocks from the terminal, and there was only one agent working the counter. So it was nearly 8:30 by the time we were driving away.

The 80-mile drive is very simple: you get on the highway and take the Fundy NP exit. It was unusually foggy that morning, so there was not much to see on the trip and there were times I felt I had to drive more slowly than normal. Still, we were at the park headquarters in less than 90 minutes. Entry fee was about $20 (all amounts Canadian). Before beginning exploring, we went into Alma (less than a mile from HQ) to pick up a picnic lunch. While buying the groceries, we met some fellow travelers from Virginia!

Our first stop in the park was the trailhead for Dickson Falls. Shortly after the start of the loop trail, you come to a fork where you can choose a shorter (half-mile) or longer (1 mile) loop. We took the long way. The forest is deep and dark here; I suspect that on a hot day, the trial can be very refreshing. Dickson Falls are more picturesque than awe-inspiring; I think there is only one cascade that I would classify as “tall.” The trail is easy-to-moderate; despite a bum knee, my wife had no trouble keeping up, though afterward she was pretty much done hiking for the day.

After completing the trail, we ate our lunch back at the trailhead, where there is small group of picnic tables, a parking lot, and restrooms. The facility has no plumbing. After getting a whiff of the septic tank, my daughter chose to wait for a real bathroom. The picnic area features an overlook of the slope down to Alma. The view was foggy before our hike, but the fog had burned off by time we returned, rewarding us with a spectacular ocean view.

Next was the photo op I had essentially planned this cruise around: Pointe Wolfe, where I had camped in the 1970s. Much had changed. The old covered bridge had burned down and been replaced in the 1990s. The log dam that I had enthralled me with its high waterfall and its dramatic framing of the Fundy Bay tides had been removed (a good thing, occasioned by the end of logging in the park and a commitment to restore the Pointe Wolf River to its original state). But the riverscape and, of course, the inlet to the Bay remain as I remembered them. I took pleasure scrambling with my daughter over rocks that I had climbed when I was about her age.

One end of the Shiphaven Trail is at Point Wolfe; but we passed on hiking again. Instead we drove to the far (less than half a mile) end of the trail, where there is an observation point including free binoculars, the kind you have to put a quarter into at most places. Through the binocs, we spotted seals in the surf.

Our final stop in the park was the Herring Cove overlook. There is a trail down to the beach which we did not take. There are also fully modern restrooms.

By this time, it was after 1:30, time to begin the drive back to St. John. With no fog, we made excellent time. If I had it all to do again, I might have driven up to Cape Enrage, though adding that hour would have made the trip back a little nervous.

I had brought a Magellan GPS from home and it worked fine for the entire trip until we returned to St. John and I asked it to find me a filling station. After being directed to two nonexistent facilities, I had to ask a native where to go. So we wasted some time on that nonsense, but were still back at the terminal by 3:30.

The base cost of the Avis rental was $68 with a coupon code I had found online. We had driven 141 km more than the rental’s 150-km maximum, so we incurred an additional fee of $21. Add in the park entry fee and the ~$25 we spent on lunch, and we find that the trip cost a little less than the price Princess was charging for one adult to take their Fundy National Park excursion. But I’m sure the Princess-contracted tour provided a much nicer lunch…

I’ll be back again, New Brunswick, and in less than 33 years.

Lee

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived