trailer trash vacations

come on folks, you must admit that the budget cruises ARE at the bottom of the price scale so they certainly do attract a "Wal-Mart"/ lower end type of clientele. Way too many wife beaters, jorts and "rude because they know no better" types on board. I know everyone isn't that way but many on these lines ARE. That is what makes me wonder why "normal" folks or middle to upper class folks don't look for a more high end cruise? Could someone explain this?

Need I remind you, Done It....

Seems to me you're saying that since "We" are attracted to the "bargain basement" cruise line, we are the ones in the wife-beaters. YOU represent the type of person the original poster had issues with. You wonder why "we" don't spend an incredible amount of money on a "more affluent" cruise line so that we will advertise our social status. Aside from "glitzier" ships, there is NO difference... they ALL go to the same places, we just choose to save money on the "trip" whether it's to spend more money in ports, on other vacations (three cruises vs. one cruise a year), or to just simply save money.

You might be surprised at just "WHO" the affluent truly are. The rancher in Wyoming who drives a 20 year old F-150 and wears old wranglers... could be a millionaire. The business man down the street that has a son on your kid's soccer team may have made some pretty great business decisions, yet still drives his 8 year old Toyota and has his 4 br. 2 bath house paid off. Like I said, you came out judging every one of us by the types of comments you're making.

Done It,

Here is your explanation in several angles..

1) I usually see larger families on these carnival cruises. Would you rather sail just you and your significant other on a high scaled cruise and leave your children at home or sail with your your family?

2) Do you see the economic times we are in?

3) I sailed RCCL, "the higher end", and CCL "bargain ship" and honestly they both go to the same places and do the same things. Your just paying more for the entertainment on RCCL. For example, rock climbing wall, ice skating rank, zip lining, etc etc.

4) Regardless of anything you will have "trashy people". I saw a 67 year old high profile lawyer in the Ritz Carlton flat out drunk in the lobby, pissed his pants and everything. The cruise price has nothing to do with peoples morals or the way they act. That is a parenting issue back at home. I grew up downtown in the slums watching drugs slinged around and people getting shot, but my parents raised me well and provided the best education money can buy.

You cant control the people, but you can control your vacation and its you who makes your vacation. Not the people. Not the weather. Not anything but you.

Not that it really matters to me, but to be technical....Carnival is NOT a "budget" cruise-line. The "Fun Ships" are classified as a "mainstream" .

An example of a "budget" line was my first cruise in 2000.

The15,000 ton 460 pax Commodore Enchanted Capri was built in 1975 for the old Soviet Union ( Ukrainian crew) had no 3 story theater, no dancers, no fireworks, no laserlights, no scenery coming from above. No revolving stage, no stage trap doors. We had 4 talented young singers who sang a montage of popular & Broadway hits in a plain show lounge.

The dining room was ONE story, no staircase, no special lighting system.

There was no super-slide, no Internet station, no Lido buffet, no alternate show lounges, no grand indoor promenade, no 9 story atrium, no kids area, no golf course, no grand spa, and my room was so small that the bed was the couch. the swimming pool was about the size of a Carnival hot tub. The teak-wood deck was discolored.

that said **** I had the time of my life***. The people were fun ! The crew were a blast !

Interestingly enough, that 1975 Enchanted Capri was the "new" ship of the fleet. The old ship in the fleet was Enchanted Isle build in 1958 !

My last Carnival cruise was on the 113,000 ton Splendor. I did get a great deal but this was in *no way* a bargain basement ship.

Done It,

Here is your explanation in several angles..

1) I usually see larger families on these carnival cruises. Would you rather sail just you and your significant other on a high scaled cruise and leave your children at home or sail with your your family?

2) Do you see the economic times we are in?

3) I sailed RCCL, "the higher end", and CCL "bargain ship" and honestly they both go to the same places and do the same things. Your just paying more for the entertainment on RCCL. For example, rock climbing wall, ice skating rank, zip lining, etc etc.

4) Regardless of anything you will have "trashy people". I saw a 67 year old high profile lawyer in the Ritz Carlton flat out drunk in the lobby, pissed his pants and everything. The cruise price has nothing to do with peoples morals or the way they act. That is a parenting issue back at home. I grew up downtown in the slums watching drugs slinged around and people getting shot, but my parents raised me well and provided the best education money can buy.

You cant control the people, but you can control your vacation and its you who makes your vacation. Not the people. Not the weather. Not anything but you.

from my research and through questioning people I know, RCCL was never even on the radar as a luxery cruise. Have no desire to use a climbing wall or anything else you mentioned. We just want to be with other successful people, not the riffraff I've seen on my two budget crusies. We love wine, FRESH (not off a distributors truck..lol) foods, intelligent conversations and romance. Not pizza, buffets, waiters acting like bafoons etc....we wan't the best, as that is what we have grown quite accustomed to. Also, the youger childen will be staying at their grandparents house on the beach in NC.

I just got home from my first cruise to Alaska on Carnival. I have to say it's an experience I will not repeat. Customer service are not words in their language. I had to report it when we got home. I will cruise again but not on Carnival.

We just want to be with other successful people, not the riffraff I've seen on my two budget crusies. We love wine, FRESH (not off a distributors truck..lol) foods, intelligent conversations and romance. Not pizza, buffets, waiters acting like bafoons etc....we wan't the best, as that is what we have grown quite accustomed to.

1st - dh and I prefer Carnival because we find it to be more fun than the other lines we've tried: HAL, Princess and Norwegian. DH is an IT project manager consultant, and I'm an accounting consultant. Our income is in the top x% (one digit!) of the U.S. - I won't say exact - but we are definitely successful. I'm Mensa - I believe I can hold my own in any intelligent conversation. I would not consider us riffraff. We have sufficient money to do what we want, cruise with any company, etc.

2nd - if you feel that the mainstream lines are "below" you, perhaps you should try the luxury lines, such as Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea. That way those of us who enjoy carefree fun don't have to deal with snobbery. :rolleyes:

:mad:

I am middle class. I love a bargain. I shop with coupons, at the grocery store and at the mall. Does this make me less worthy than those that choose to spend their money on luxuries????? No!!! It is how I choose to spend my money!

I'm with you! I can cruise more often when I save a buck here, ten bucks there! :)

from my research and through questioning people I know, RCCL was never even on the radar as a luxery cruise. Have no desire to use a climbing wall or anything else you mentioned. We just want to be with other successful people, not the riffraff I've seen on my two budget crusies. We love wine, FRESH (not off a distributors truck..lol) foods, intelligent conversations and romance. Not pizza, buffets, waiters acting like bafoons etc....we wan't the best, as that is what we have grown quite accustomed to. Also, the youger childen will be staying at their grandparents house on the beach in NC.

Then Please, by all means, go on your stuffy cruise. I'm very HAPPY you won't be on my Fun Ship cruise. And please feel free to start your own "Stuck-up Snob thread" and get off this one..

Then if you have to money to go on that type of cruise than go. Hell why not buy a yacht with a personal waiter. Like I said you make your vacation not the people or the price.

With all the 'research' that "Done it" has done (based on searching his/her previous posts, he/she has sure done a lot of research). Has he/she ever read the book titled "The Millionaire Next Store? He/she might be surprised as to the where the millionaires live, what they drive, eat, work, which cruise lines they cruise, etc etc. They may even live in a trailer next to you!!!!!!!

I have cruised 50 times. More than 1.5 years at sea all told. Upscale lines as well as mainstream lines. One cruise was $6800.00 for an oceanview room. 15 cruises on Carnival. Why? More bang for the buck. But then I'm not successful. I just book all the cruises on credit cards and change my name a lot!!

Sometimes its difficult to do posts as erroneous as the one that I'm reading.

People lets stop feeding the Troll

People love trolls ! Trolls offend other posters which is they way most posters prefer it. Most contributions to Internet message boards absolutely enjoy this being offended.

Personally, I can write a pleasant, well researched post ....and none will read it. But if I should talk trash, then I get read and most importantly I get a response!

i will say i am not blind i have noticed trashy behavior on my cruises but don't you see that on most vacays at some point?? she said she was sorry for offending me but i never heard an apology for being so close minded.

thanks for letting me vent

Jeez, I see trashy behavior everyday and you don't have to be on a cruise! I wonder what rock some of these people crawled out from. I wouldn't have been offended, I think the person may have been jealous of your upcoming cruise. People need to become not-so-fragile. I'm paying for my cruise and not the other person so why care what the other person thinks? Mind over matter.

speaking of Yankees...the other kind as in New York...our friends we met on our first cruise are from Mass. and they like the red sux....and they like the Patriots. We still vacation with them and are good friends but tease each other about our teams. Baseball is no contest lately but hate those Patriots with a passion. As i don't have a leg to stand on as i am a Oakland Raider fan! Life long friends are made on cruise's because we all have the same passion!

When you have your sports-related conversations, do the words "tuck" and/or "rule" ever get mentioned? ;)

Archived